Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, my five has to be:

1. Rich Yunkus
2. Kenny Anderson
3. Mark Price
4. Dennis Scott
5. Sammy Drummer

I know my 5 choice is radical but Sammy was just a flat out winner as a player. Could play above the rim, play forward, and was as silky smooth on the court as anyone I’ve ever seen play. Only Anderson had a quicker move to the basket in my opinion and only Yunkus was more deadly on a pull up jumper in the lane. Only at Tech for two years with a limited supporting cast other than Tico Brown. Averaged over 20 points a game. Had a tragic life.

One trick he was famous for in practice. Someone would place a quarter or dime or nickel on top of the backboard. He would elevate high enough to pick up the change.

My other choices need no explanation. They represent the very best of the best at Tech.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Some potentially forgotten/under appreciated players over the last 20 years who won’t make anyone’s top 5 list. But I’ll throw them out there since we’re here and I haven’t seen them mentioned:

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I remember Kam Holsey very fondly for two things: being decimated by a knee injury, and traveling. I say that in jest because I liked him but those are the first two things that come to mind.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some potentially forgotten/under appreciated players over the last 20 years who won’t make anyone’s top 5 list. But I’ll throw them out there since we’re here and I haven’t seen them mentioned:

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye
Clarence Moore is my all-time favorite. He was the glue that allowed 2004 to happen. If he doesn't come back, I don't think it happens. Unsung hero.

I don't think those other guys were underappreciated. I think they did their jobs. For me, names that are forgotten are Drew Berry, Eddie Electric, John Brown, Anthony Morrow.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye
I started to reply with McHenry, because I just remember appreciating what he added to those teams. Looked him up and saw he is still playing in Japan.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
No one has mentioned Lenny Horton(super smooth, lean guy who played smart at 6’7”) or Jim Wood from the 70’s. Pete, Jim Thorne from before them. Unheralded players.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye
omg TRAE GOLDEN! I forgot about him.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye
add Michael Carter Jr, Tadric Jackson, Evan Cole, Charles Mitchell, Ishmail Muhammad to that list. They weren't top 5, but they were still ballers who deserve to be appreciated for their duty.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned Lenny Horton(super smooth, lean guy who played smart at 6’7”) or Jim Wood from the 70’s. Pete, Jim Thorne from before them. Unheralded players.
Thanks for mentioning these three. I liked Jim Thorne and seem to recall him giving a good game against Alcindor (before the name change) out at UCLA. And didn’t Horton have a pro career later?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
At this point people are just naming players to name players.
I kinda am. Where else are we gonna see the name Anthony McHenry and get to randomly remember fond memories of GT basketball? If it truly matters, I’ll start a thread called “random favorite GT basketball players (not top 5)”

I just think it’s just fun (and extremely rare) to be able to talk GT basketball when it’s in a positive light so I wanted to expand the convo.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

- Clarence Moore
- Luke Schenscher
- Trae Golden
- Marvin Lewis
- Anthony McHenry
- D’Andre Bell
- Zach Peacock
- Kammeon Holsey
- AD Gueye
Yvonne Joseph is my favorite unsung player. Started playing basketball in 1980 coming out of Haiti and was on the team with Price and Salley in the 1985 NCAA tourney. After making 2 free throws to seal a win, an interviewer asks him something like, "How did you stay so calm to sink the free throws?" Joseph replies, "I relied on my experience." He was talking his life experience of growing up in Haiti....basically that compared to growing up in Haiti, making two free throws seemed to be a low stress event. I wish I could find that interview. It always stuck with me.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
1a. Anderson
1b. Price
1c. Scott
4. Hammonds
5. Harpring
6a. Marbury
6b. Bosh
8. Best
9. Jack
10a. Oliver