Top 5 GT Basketball Player All Time

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So I'm going to do a top 5 from players that I've seen so that limits me a bit. In no order it would be
Jack
Alvarado
Lammers
Wright
Elder

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Also going my era:

Jose
Okogie
Slammers
Wright
MGH

Honorable mentions to Adam Smith for that one grad transfer season, Devoe, Ush, and James Banks also.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For the youngsters check a little history about Rich Yunkus. Hard to leave him out of the Top 5 consideration.

Below is from Wikipedia-
At Georgia Tech, Yunkus proved a capable highly scorer and rebounder, averaging 26.6 points and 11.4 rebounds per game for his three-year varsity career (freshmen were ineligible in his day). He received All-American honors in both his junior and senior seasons and was an Academic All-American all three seasons.

For his career, Yunkus scored 2,232 points and recorded 955 rebounds. He is still the Yellow Jackets' all-time leading scorer, despite playing only three seasons. He also is the program career leader in scoring average.

He's also the #5 career rebounds leader in just 3 years.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some Yunkus standings for career, season, and game highs and other GT greats.
If the 14 games that GT has a player score 40 or more points, he has 6 entries and Kenny has 4.

Screenshot_20230111-211046.png

Screenshot_20230111-211241.png

Screenshot_20230111-211329.png

slugboy

Staff member
In terms of star power walking in the door—the one and done kind of players—it’s hard to make a list without these four

Kenny Anderson*
Stephon Marbury
Chris Bosh
Derrick Favors

If Favors or Bosh played here four years, we’d have gotten a star PG to go with them, and they’d have had insane stats.

(*Yes, KA played 2, but “one and done” wasn’t as much of a thing when he played)

If you’re talking about players who made a difference at TECH, that’s such a hard list.

My era started with the Price—Salley—Yvon Joseph crew. They were really important because they turned us from a doormat into a contender.

Players like Dalrymple and Craig Neal and Tom Hammonds were important because they kept us from being a “one-hit-wonder” and put us on the path to being a great team for most of the next 20 years.

Brian Oliver, Dennis Scott, KA, Matt Geiger, Jon Barry, Harpring, and a bunch of others helped make the 90’s a dream decade for GT.

If I had to pick 5 that were critical for Tech, I’d pick
Price-Salley as a tandem (they were more special because they played together, but you might pick someone other than Salley)
KA-Dennis Scott-Brian Oliver. KA would have been special on his own, but playing together made a special team.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
DAMN. This is a hard question.

I'm gonna go with two lists. One before I was born (2006) and one after. I never saw some of the greats play so I can't group them with the stars I did see play, it's simply unfair.

PRE 2006:
1. Kenny Anderson
2. Mark Price
3. Dennis Scott
4. Matt Harpring
5. Jarrett Jack
Honorable Mentions: Tom Hammonds, Brian Oliver, Malcom Mackey, Starbury, BJ Elder, Chris Bosh, Will Bynum, Matt Geiger, etc

2006-NOW
1. Moses Wright
2. Josh Okogie
3. Jose Alvarado
4. Ben Lammers
5. Iman Shumpert
Honorable Mentions: Anthony Morrow, Gani Lawal, Derrick Favors, Mfon Udofia, DANIEL MILLER! (my childhood favorite), Marcus Georges-Hunt, Tragic Jackson, Michael Devoe, Jordan Usher, James Banks, etc

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
In terms of star power walking in the door—the one and done kind of players—it’s hard to make a list without these four

Kenny Anderson*
Stephon Marbury
Chris Bosh
Derrick Favors

If Favors or Bosh played here four years, we’d have gotten a star PG to go with them, and they’d have had insane stats.

(*Yes, KA played 2, but “one and done” wasn’t as much of a thing when he played)

If you’re talking about players who made a difference at TECH, that’s such a hard list.

My era started with the Price—Salley—Yvon Joseph crew. They were really important because they turned us from a doormat into a contender.

Players like Dalrymple and Craig Neal and Tom Hammonds were important because they kept us from being a “one-hit-wonder” and put us on the path to being a great team for most of the next 20 years.

Brian Oliver, Dennis Scott, KA, Matt Geiger, Jon Barry, Harpring, and a bunch of others helped make the 90’s a dream decade for GT.

Price-Salley as a tandem (they were more special because they played together, but you might pick someone other than Salley)
KA-Dennis Scott-Brian Oliver. KA would have been special on his own, but playing together made a special team.
I believe Bosh came in with Jack. They went to the NIT, Bosh left and they went to the finals two years later (I think)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He has yet to be mentioned yet but I wanna toss Alvin Jones in here too. Everyone loves Big Ben, myself included. Just for a comparison, Ben had 254 career blocks, Jones had 425. He was a truly incredible defender and a treat to watch play.

also, shouts to Tony Akins, Lewis Clinch and Jeremis Smith.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Kenny Anderson*
Stephon Marbury
Chris Bosh
Derrick Favors

Bosh had a star point guard to play with him. Jarrett Jack. They were freshmen together.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here are their NBA stats. Then add what Marbury has done in China, Marbury was the better Pro (which is the header I used). One could argue Marbury was the better NBA player too.

View attachment 13911
I knew you’d reference his time in China — but that only happened because he got black balled from the NBA.

I mean we’re comparing an 11x all star versus a 2x all star.

Marbury was a great talent but wasn’t a winner, which doesn’t show up in stats (but does show up in accolades, which Bosh has more of). Marbury never led a team like Bosh did in Toronto, and he never played a significant role on a winning team like Bosh did in Miami. In fact, winning franchises steered clear of Starbury.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew you’d reference his time in China — but that only happened because he got black balled from the NBA.

I mean we’re comparing an 11x all star versus a 2x all star.

Marbury was a great talent but wasn’t a winner, which doesn’t show up in stats (but does show up in accolades, which Bosh has more of). Marbury never led a team like Bosh did in Toronto, and he never played a significant role on a winning team like Bosh did in Miami. In fact, winning franchises steered clear of Starbury.
Just because Marbury was blackballed in the NBA doesn't negate what he accomplished in China. He was in the NBA for 13 years, which is a hell of a lot longer than most NBA players. He averaged almost 20 ppg and over 7 asst/game. I agree Bosh is the better NBA player; I never refuted that.

However, Marbury also led his team to 3 championships in 4 years, has a statue of him outside their stadium, and has an entire museum dedicated to him. Couple his NBA career with his time in China and he's my top pro.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Is this thread supposed to be about the top five Georgia Tech basketball players while they were Georgia Tech, or also include the pro leagues.
Be careful of your answer, because they are not 100% mutually inclusive.