Tokyo Olympics

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
They are confirmed by video review these days so are not really judgement calls, just very slim margins.
So, you're saying that video review is performed by a flawless computerized system? Not by some human individual making a judgement call on the video review?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So, you're saying that video review is performed by a flawless computerized system? Not by some human individual making a judgement call on the video review?
Have you seen one that wasn’t technically correct? What I’ve typically seen is the player is off by a minuscule amount which is what the Premier league is trying to change.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen one that wasn’t technically correct? What I’ve typically seen is the player is off by a minuscule amount which is what the Premier league is trying to change.
I can't speak to International Football, but replay reviewers in the NFL and MLB often seem to end up with conclusions that don't make sense based on on the video evidence. Perhaps the International Football community has figured it out. Either way, if you have a human video reviewer overturning plays based on "a miniscule amount", your eyes may see something different than my eyes, which is different than the eyes of someone else on this board. My point was that if you're using humans to make a judgement call, there will surely be multiple judgements on the same play at times, especially the close ones they're trying to review.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I can't speak to International Football, but replay reviewers in the NFL and MLB often seem to end up with conclusions that don't make sense based on on the video evidence. Perhaps the International Football community has figured it out. Either way, if you have a human video reviewer overturning plays based on "a miniscule amount", your eyes may see something different than my eyes, which is different than the eyes of someone else on this board. My point was that if you're using humans to make a judgement call, there will surely be multiple judgements on the same play at times, especially the close ones they're trying to review.
Offsides they get right because it’s simply angles when the ball is played. It pisses people off because they see stuff you could never see with the naked eye in real time. Other than that their use of replay is pretty stupid. They are interested in the correct call, only whether the call was “reasonable”. Their language is whether the ref made a “clear and obvious” error. So if it’s reasonable that he thought he was right it stands. I don’t know why MLB bothers to your point though. I do ever remember seeing a call reversed.