Tokyo Olympics

Deleted member 2897

US women lose again in soccer. Crazy. They basically won 1 game out of 5 in the Olympics.

Deleted member 2897

There were younger players who played better during tryouts, but the coach kept older star players.

Reminds me of watching Isaiah Jewett get royally screwed in the semifinals of the 800m. He was in great position coming out of the final curve to qualify for the finals, then the guy behind him clipped his foot and sent him falling. That runner then fell onto him. The guy in back apologized, they shook hands, got up, and jogged in to finish. The Track Committee reinstated the guy who did the tripping into the finals, but not the guy from the USA who got tripped. Nijel Amos is a former Olympic Medal winner and multi-time African Continent Gold Medalist, while Jewett is just a fresh face still in college just now coming onto the scene. Their justification for not putting Jewett in (or both) was that tripping is a part of track racing, but when Jewett fell, he impeded Amos' ability to run. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

Deleted member 2897

There were younger players who played better during tryouts, but the coach kept older star players.

And yet still, after beating essentially 1 team out of 5, they still get to play for the bronze medal. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I will add that Canada's penalty kick was utter and complete bull****. The Canadian player ran into the US player from behind. The US player got run into, and they call a penalty. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
From what I read, the US had 2 goals negated due to offsides against the Netherlands late in the game. Had 3 or more of them earlier in the tournament as well, if I recall correctly. Sometimes the offsides calls are obvious. Other times, they're judgement calls. To win a quarterfinal game on penalty kicks with 2 goals negated is a testament to the players resolve.
They are confirmed by video review these days so are not really judgement calls, just very slim margins.

Deleted member 2897

They are confirmed by video review these days so are not really judgement calls, just very slim margins.

Speaking of video review, anybody see the end of the 3rd set in women's volleyball when the US team got completely hosed by the referee?

The US served, down 12-11 (play to 15 in the 3rd set). The ball landed with the ballmark right on the outside of the line. In volleyball, the line is in - so almost half the ball was effectively in. It was called out, but the US challenged, and the referees went to a video review, where they confirmed that indeed part of the ball was in. That made the score 12-12. The Canadians then challenged the video review of the challenge - who knew there was such a thing, and how is there? They just did a video review. So back the referees go, and this time they confirm that their first review was incorrect and the original call was correct and in fact the serve was out. Huh? How can the same referee team, USING VIDEO REVIEW, change their own call multiple times, LOLOLOLOL. The US team was obviously shellshocked and still chatting with the referees when they bungled the Canadians next serve, and all of a sudden it was 14-11 with the Canadians serving 3 match points. Can't really overcome that. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of video review, anybody see the end of the 3rd set in women's volleyball when the US team got completely hosed by the referee?

The US served, down 12-11 (play to 15 in the 3rd set). The ball landed with the ballmark right on the outside of the line. In volleyball, the line is in - so almost half the ball was effectively in. It was called out, but the US challenged, and the referees went to a video review, where they confirmed that indeed part of the ball was in. That made the score 12-12. The Canadians then challenged the video review of the challenge - who knew there was such a thing, and how is there? They just did a video review. So back the referees go, and this time they confirm that their first review was incorrect and the original call was correct and in fact the serve was out. Huh? How can the same referee team, USING VIDEO REVIEW, change their own call multiple times, LOLOLOLOL. The US team was obviously shellshocked and still chatting with the referees when they bungled the Canadians next serve, and all of a sudden it was 14-11 with the Canadians serving 3 match points. Can't really overcome that. :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:
I saw that but don’t believe it’s what actually happened. The article I later read was that it was confirmed as out by replay but the official pushed the wrong button saying it was overturned. When it was questioned they realized the mistake and corrected that error.

GT_EE78

Banned
US women lose again in soccer. Crazy. They basically won 1 game out of 5 in the Olympics.
LOL
1627920461622.png

Deleted member 2897

I saw that but don’t believe it’s what actually happened. The article I later read was that it was confirmed as out by replay but the official pushed the wrong button saying it was overturned. When it was questioned they realized the mistake and corrected that error.

Oh interesting, I guess that explains a lot. Unfortunate for the American team, because the entire way that played out completely distracted them right at the end of the 3rd set.

Deleted member 2897

Do we know yet which team we get to root for in the loser's bracket?

Australia. They tied 0-0 last week when they played. Good chance for the US women to go to the Olympics with all the swagger in the world and win 1 of 6 games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Someone give a satisfactory answer to this question: The Russians are under a two year ban from international competition because of their institutionalized doping program. Yet the Russians, including individual athletes under suspicion, are in the Olympics as the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee). Their only real penalty is that anytime they win gold they are not allowed to play the Russian national anthem. How is this even happening?

Deleted member 2897

Someone give a satisfactory answer to this question: The Russians are under a two year ban from international competition because of their institutionalized doping program. Yet the Russians, including individual athletes under suspicion, are in the Olympics as the ROC (Russian Olympic Committee). Their only real penalty is that anytime they win gold they are not allowed to play the Russian national anthem. How is this even happening?

Sorry, I am unable to give a satisfactory answer. Mainly, because there is not one to give.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I bet the NCAA was in charge of deciding the penalties. Now if that had been a country from S. America, every athlete would have been banned for life.

GT_EE78

Banned
I bet the NCAA was in charge of deciding the penalties. Now if that had been a country from S. America, every athlete would have been banned for life.
You may very well be correct. I remember back when i was learning to be a soccor parent and considered color coding my two middle fingers as a way to deal with those funny accent guys who waved cards at me that no one understood ....

LibertyTurns

Banned
Soccer- I’ve seen some of the most miraculous recoveries watching that sport. If you want proof of God, just watch a soccer game. One minute a man is completely destroyed, damn near has his limbs torn from his body writhing in immense pain on the ground. Nobody knows if the poor soccer player might live through the night he’s in such dire shape. Minutes later a parade of refs hunts down the culprit, raises a red or yellow card in his general direction. Often seconds after that the grievously injured player leaps in the air seemingly as good as new, ready to endure more excruciating punishment in the hopes of scoring a goal. Church and sport rolled into one!