"Toe meets leather"

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
With the UF vs UM kickoff I've now heard an ESPN announcer say "Toe meets leather" for the 3rd time today. I wonder who started that for all the ESPN guys to start saying it.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Andy Demetra did an interview with Rece Davis that he tweeted out. I will let the aficionados imbed it. In it Andy asked Rece if he was going to use the phrase "toe meets leather" when calling the Tech Tenn game and he said they definitely were planning on it as well as saying something else that I understand to be a UT announcer catch phrase. So maybe that exchange triggered it with the ESPN announcers.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Andy Demetra did an interview with Rece Davis that he tweeted out. I will let the aficionados imbed it. In it Andy asked Rece if he was going to use the phrase "toe meets leather" when calling the Tech Tenn game and he said they definitely were planning on it as well as saying something else that I understand to be a UT announcer catch phrase. So maybe that exchange triggered it with the ESPN announcers.
I believe it was "give him 6"..

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Dug this out of my GT autograph folders. Loved hearing Al's calls as a kid. "Kick is up, and, goot (quickly spoken) will always stick with me.

Attachments

• IMG_6886.JPG
    IMG_6886.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 45

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry though, the part of BUZZ on the right that is supposed to be black still has some red in it from the coke label. It made me aspirate in my mouth just a little. Just isn't right. I appreciate the thought, but......