Today in Analytics...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Really? I did not know this. Nor did I care all that much if I even heard about it. But the half dozen or so people on the Tech sites who keep repeatedly dredging up losses against teams like NIU, Citadel, Kansas, Middle Tennessee or whatever like they are a permanent black stain on our honor and integrity somehow think anyone else cares about games played last year or prior.
Im not sure many care about who we lose to or who we beat. We really aren't that important outside of our own fanbase. Texas fans went nuts though. A large number of them wanted Sark fired for it. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...r-coach-to-be-fired-amid-struggles-vs-kansas/. Members of the media already started writing his obituary: https://www.si.com/college/texas/fo...believes-sarkisians-firing-appears-inevitable. The guy had a better than zero chance of being fired after one season, mainly because of that one game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure many care about who we lose to or who we beat. We really aren't that important outside of our own fanbase. Texas fans went nuts though. A large number of them wanted Sark fired for it. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...r-coach-to-be-fired-amid-struggles-vs-kansas/. Members of the media already started writing his obituary: https://www.si.com/college/texas/fo...believes-sarkisians-firing-appears-inevitable. The guy had a better than zero chance of being fired after one season, mainly because of that one game.
Sark walked into a situation with a poor OL and DL--in fact, a poor to mediocre D without much depth. But they had good offensive skill players, which is what fans watch. So good skill players make the fans expect more. Texas faded in second halves because of no depth on D.

All of that should sound familiar to Tech fans. But fans don't understand these things.

Texas will be fine because they have lots of $$ for NIL. But you don't win in the short term with first and second year OL and defensive players. Fans don't understand that either, so the Texas fans will want his head again this year--just like at least half the fans on this board have wanted Collins' head after 2 recruiting years.

The worst sunburn I've had in 30 years was from sitting at DKR for the OSU game last year (UT blew a halftime lead in the heat). I did not get a sunburn at MB for the UNC game. Maybe teams with no depth should play indoors or at night. Less heat fatigue for players.

College football media just likes to stir the fans, especially since the advent of the internet. They can't really be that dumb, can they?

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s just a set of numbers, but here are some predictions for ACC win totals

GT expectations between 3-5 wins, but 6 wins are about 20:1 odds

Kelley Ford's analyses are pretty widely respected. Tech has a 48% chance of winning at least 4 games, pretty much a tossup (I have Tech winning 4) but only 20% to win at least 5. What's interesting is he has the same percentage (20%) of not winning at least 3 games as he has of winning at least 5. That's why the Vegas over/under on total wins is at 3.5.

A lot of us will hate these numbers but these are objective numbers not clouded by fan colored glasses. They may end up being completely wrong, but they're not wrong until the results are in this December.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I mean, last year Kelley Ford had UNC and Miami pegged as top 10 teams. Pitt and Wake Forest were #5 and #7 in the ACC respectively. Michigan, the B1G champ and CFP participant was projected to win less than 8 games and finish 6th in the B1G behind Indiana (who went 2-10). He didn’t even have Cincinnati projected to win 10 games, and they went undefeated and made it to the CFP. Oklahoma State and Baylor were projected 4th and 7th in the Bg 12 but they played each other for the title.

Sure, those projections might turn out right. But they’re heavily reliant on last year’s numbers. And there’s no way to project how a team might react to a new coaching staff, playbook, mindset, etc.

There are going to be a lot of teams who defy these projections, because he’s pretty much projecting win totals for last year’s teams based on this year’s schedules. No need to look at these figures and be disheartened by them, because odds are he’s wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
I mean, last year Kelley Ford had UNC and Miami pegged as top 10 teams. Pitt and Wake Forest were #5 and #7 in the ACC respectively. Michigan, the B1G champ and CFP participant was projected to win less than 8 games and finish 6th in the B1G behind Indiana (who went 2-10). He didn’t even have Cincinnati projected to win 10 games, and they went undefeated and made it to the CFP. Oklahoma State and Baylor were projected 4th and 7th in the Bg 12 but they played each other for the title.

Sure, those projections might turn out right. But they’re heavily reliant on last year’s numbers. And there’s no way to project how a team might react to a new coaching staff, playbook, mindset, etc.

There are going to be a lot of teams who defy these projections, because he’s pretty much projecting win totals for last year’s teams based on this year’s schedules. No need to look at these figures and be disheartened by them, because odds are he’s wrong.

If he's 90% right with his projections--which is pretty good--there are 13 teams that are going to defy his projections in one way or another. Even if he's 100% right in his projections, you'll have a team or two hit those 1% projections--which would be 7 wins for us.

And, even with good forecasting, he's not going to be 100% right. Our hope for this season is to be an outlier and break the models.

JacketFan137

Banned
If he's 90% right with his projections--which is pretty good--there are 13 teams that are going to defy his projections in one way or another. Even if he's 100% right in his projections, you'll have a team or two hit those 1% projections--which would be 7 wins for us.

And, even with good forecasting, he's not going to be 100% right. Our hope for this season is to be an outlier and break the models.
i think the odds of us being an outlier in his model are pretty strong. we played half our games with a qb who was just not really a p5 talent, we had a struggling and injured o line, and a OC who left a lot to be desired. now the qb depth has taken a notable step forward, the o line has a little more size and pedigree through the portal and we have a proven OC who has been a broyles award caliber coach.

not saying that these factors mean we’re going 10-2 and defying the numbers gods, but if any team has the conditions to be an outlier in a lot of models it’s us for sure.

JacketFan137

Banned
Kelley Ford's analyses are pretty widely respected. Tech has a 48% chance of winning at least 4 games, pretty much a tossup (I have Tech winning 4) but only 20% to win at least 5. What's interesting is he has the same percentage (20%) of not winning at least 3 games as he has of winning at least 5. That's why the Vegas over/under on total wins is at 3.5.

A lot of us will hate these numbers but these are objective numbers not clouded by fan colored glasses. They may end up being completely wrong, but they're not wrong until the results are in this December.
they’re not right either

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Well just off a very brief study I found 9 teams (UNC, Miami, Pitt, Wake Forest, Michigan, Indiana, Cincinnati, Baylor, Oklahoma State).

5 of his preseason top 13 teams didn’t even finish ranked last year. (#7 Iowa State [7-6], #8 Miami [7-5], #10 Florida [6-7], #12 North Carolina [6-7], #13 Texas [5-7]). LSU, TCU, and USC all finished the year with losing records. That’s 6 of his top 25 who finished with losing records. Not even unranked, but absolute losing records. That’s 24%, or basically 1/4 of his top 25 who lost more games than they won.

NC State was projected at 6 wins, and they finished the year ranked 18th at 9-3. Arkansas was projected at less than 6 wins and they finished 9-4 ranked 19th.

I mean, it’s really not all that hard to guess that good teams from last year will be good again, and bad teams will be bad again. These projections show basically nothing new. Just by looking at the preseason top 25 compared to the postseason top 25 I’ve picked out 17 teams he was completely wrong on. If you really dive deep into the numbers you can easily find more.

Like I said, these metrics rely heavily on what happened last year. That doesn’t make them bad, or make what he’s doing useless. It just means to take them with a large grain of salt. Especially for GT fans, don’t look at these numbers and think we have no chance this year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Especially for GT fans, don’t look at these numbers and think we have no chance this year.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

slugboy

Staff member
FEI (Brian Fremeau) just dropped. Yes, it’s based on the past few years, so we’re #91 (#108 defense, #72 offense)

Duke is the only ACC team behind us at 111. Syracuse is ahead of us at 73.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

If you think we’re due for a drastic change, no one will see it coming, including these models

slugboy

Staff member
More preseason stuff—this time, a composite preseason rating.

So, we're in the third quartile, and below average. It's bad for P5, but it's not Vandy/Duke/KU/Temple bad. We're in the Northwestern/Colorado/Indiana/Illinois cluster of schools. And there are so many ways we've shot ourselves in the foot that getting above average is reasonable (but still aspirational).

Mostly posted because I like the chart

1661557657080.png

slugboy

Staff member
The new SP+ numbers are out!

steve martin publicity GIF

Well, actually, he hates us. He’s got us as the #87 team, behind Indiana. #74 offense and #100 defense. So, not in the bottom 25 defenses, so we got that going for us.

And we have an 8% shot of upsetting Clemson this weekend. We got a chance!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The new SP+ numbers are out!

steve martin publicity GIF

Well, actually, he hates us. He’s got us as the #87 team, behind Indiana. #74 offense and #100 defense. So, not in the bottom 25 defenses, so we got that going for us.

And we have an 8% shot of upsetting Clemson this weekend. We got a chance!

Pay to the order of Iron Balls McGinty, One Dollar and NINE CENTS!!

slugboy

Staff member
If there is a more unfavorable stats preview of our Labor Day Weekend against Clemson, I’d be surprised

It’s essentially “terrible Clemson offense against worse GT defense” and “terrible GT offense against amazing Clemson defense”

A lot of these numbers are related to efficiency and discipline, which we lacked last season.

It doesn’t view Clemson’s offense as significantly improved from the start of last season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If there is a more unfavorable stats preview of our Labor Day Weekend against Clemson, I’d be surprised

It’s essentially “terrible Clemson offense against worse GT defense” and “terrible GT offense against amazing Clemson defense”

A lot of these numbers are related to efficiency and discipline, which we lacked last season.

It doesn’t view Clemson’s offense as significantly improved from the start of last season.

Yeah, 2.2% chance to win is the worst I've seen too. I don't think anyone can accurately predict the first game of the season given the massive personnel and coaching changes on both sides.

Narratives are designed to maximize eyeballs and interest. I'll trust mine to see Monday night. Actually getting excited.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Im seeing red. I really hate red. :mad:

JacketFan137

Banned
i just have a hard time with off season projections in college football these days because of the amount of moving parts. obviously a team like ohio state returning so many of their studs will rightfully be praised but i think with the portal the mid level teams like us are impossible to project accurately. after 3 weeks these models will probably fall into line of what to expect going forward

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Clemson’s offense is going to be like our defense this year. The metrics will hate them both at the start of the season, and it’s up to off-season changes to decide if they’re fixed.