Today’s the day for Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Today we will learn whether Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen make it for inclusion into the College Football Hall of Fame.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Today we will learn whether Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen make it for inclusion into the College Football Hall of Fame.

They both deserve it!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed 100% on CPJ.

I do hope Friedgen doesn't get overlooked. One of the greatest offensive minds of his time. Was light years ahead of the rest of the pack - and (much like CPJ) knew how to make adjustments to compliment the resources he had, as well as to stifle the defensive wrinkles the other teams were giving him. His offenses were damn fun to watch. His approach (not necessarily his offense, as these things come and go) is still the bar by which I judge all other offensive coordinator candidates. And it's a mighty high bar to reach. The ballot bio snippet lists only his time at Maryland - which is impressive, but doesn't tell the whole story.

Also noticed Mark Richt is on there, with a heavy emphasis (not surprisingly) on his time at Georgia. I'm a bit conflicted here, but lean in his favor. While I hated him when he was at uGA, I think he's shown himself to be a class act in the years since. And his record is tough to argue with.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed 100% on CPJ.

I do hope Friedgen doesn't get overlooked. One of the greatest offensive minds of his time. Was light years ahead of the rest of the pack - and (much like CPJ) knew how to make adjustments to compliment the resources he had, as well as to stifle the defensive wrinkles the other teams were giving him. His offenses were damn fun to watch. His approach (not necessarily his offense, as these things come and go) is still the bar by which I judge all other offensive coordinator candidates. And it's a mighty high bar to reach. The ballot bio snippet lists only his time at Maryland - which is impressive, but doesn't tell the whole story.

Also noticed Mark Richt is on there, with a heavy emphasis (not surprisingly) on his time at Georgia. I'm a bit conflicted here, but lean in his favor. While I hated him when he was at uGA, I think he's shown himself to be a class act in the years since. And his record is tough to argue with.
I agree that Richt's record is good, but my question is what has he won? He's 11-7 in bowls as a HC, his national championships were as an OC, and he only won two conference championships as a HC. Multiple conference COYs, one national COY, but no other notable hardware. He did put players in the NFL which does help, but I'm not convinced he did enough.

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Richt's record is good, but my question is what has he won? His national championships were as an OC, and he only won two conference championships as a HC. Multiple conference COYs, one national COY, but no other notable hardware. He did put players in the NFL which does help, but I'm not convinced he did enough.

If the fridge can get it for the OC, richt can you have to remember he lead 7 Years of Dominant offense for FSU prior to being a HC

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I hope they both get it. Paul is more clear cut, but Ralph made a huge impact on our program and Maryland's, which was lost for a long time before he arrived.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
And yet we have fans and players @Ibeeballin who think he was mediocre lol

Ibe played for him i don't think he's ever said Johnson was mediocre i think he's said the results were over time the same as they were with chan which many believed were mediocre. I disagree with that myself, but johnsons does have a couple losing seasons chan never did. chan also never won 11 games.