Today’s the day for Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
No, the Citrus Bowl was not considered one of the premier bowls. it was a well-respected one, but we should have played Miami in the Cotton Bowl or Colorado in the Sugar Bowl. Back then the bowl invites were unaffiliated and handed out before the end of the season, so we were relegated to a lesser bowl even though we were ranked #2 in both the UPI Coaches' Poll and the AP Poll at the end of the regular season.
You did have Big 8 (or 12) champ in the Orange, plus the SEC in the Sugar and Pac 12 v Big 14 in the Rose. But to your point, yes, the other bowls had no tie-ins to conferences by and large.
It really should have been GT vs. Colorado in the Orange. Let ND play Nebraska in the Citrus.

Hell, I miss the Southcheat champ in the Cotton every year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Prior to 1998 there were four bowls that were considered “Major.” Those were the Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Cotton. Fiesta bought its way in over the Cotton with the BCS, and the Peach joined the party in 2014.

So technically speaking, no…we did not go to a major bowl in 1990.
Fiesta really got on the map as a fat daddy bowl when it had Penn State vs. Miami and Notre Dame vs. West Virginia.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That was NEVER going to happen under Collins. Stansbury and Collins are now gone, and Batt and Key have publicly thrown out the fig leaf. I have no doubt CPJ will be back on the Flats sooner than later.
Key has followed PJ on Twitter for years. So has Choice, even though I heard Choice one night very early on in his Tech coaching tenure say some disparaging things about the PJ program. Nothing major.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Assume it would be similar to what they did for Calvin Johnson a few years ago

A CPJ bobble head....Can we use this?
GIFs-202311042836.gif