Tobias Oliver to WR - PER AJC REPORT

GTFLETCH

Banned
From the Article:

Graham’s play has apparently earned him the No. 1 quarterback spot. The season-ending injury to wide receiver Jalen Camp and the desire for coaches to get Oliver onto the field has routed him to receiver, where position coach Kerry Dixon has been happy to receive him.

“He’s one of the best natural athletes I’ve ever been around,” Dixon said Monday on coach Geoff Collins’ radio show. “Extremely competitive.”

“You’ll see him doing different things for us,” Collins said. “Don’t want to give too much away, but we’re being creative just like we always are and being innovative, and when you have someone like that with his skillset, (we’re) trying to make sure we showcase that for himself and for the betterment of the team, too.”

“I guess it feels good to know where I’m at right now, but we’ve had several guys all over the team that are playing multiple positions, so it’s not like it’s uncommon that I’m playing a different position,” Oliver said Wednesday following practice.

“Every receiver has their own way of getting separation, so it’s just finding what I want to do and perfecting it,” Oliver said.

“I’m enjoying the process,” Oliver said. “There comes a rough patch when there’s transition from position to position, but I have pretty good coaches around me that have been in the same position, so it’s not as bad.”

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/tobias-oliver-switch-wide-receiver/Zjdkk19XW4GnwSkjOpCVhO/

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
This could be a good move. I am not sure I see him at wide out going deep, but as a slot guy with some short slants or other quick throws that get the ball in his hands and some space to run. Overdue switch I think, but glad to see an effort to keep him on the field.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Only took them 3 weeks longer to figure it out than it should’ve. At least we’re here now. Excited to see what Graham can do without having to look over his shoulder.
Agree, I think there must be some internal Coaching staff growing in regards to CBK/CDP becuase this should have been decided before the Clemson game in August!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, totally don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't Yates ATL last week? Did he play against UNC? Is he ATL this week? Will see see PT with Oliver moving over to WR and if Lucas still injured?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Man, totally don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't Yates ATL last week? Did he play against UNC? Is he ATL this week? Will see see PT with Oliver moving over to WR and if Lucas still injured?
To be honest with you and this is just MHO.... Yates will never see the field at QB, he was a Paul Johnson recruit... If you see CDP talk about JG he says he is only 6 feet... so anyone smaller then 6 feet doesn't fit their matrix... and may explain wh they were trying to force LJ and TO at QB..besides there inability to just make a decision

Yates best bet is to follow Tobias and play WR, or transfer.... I think moving FWD LJ will Backup James, and next year we have Gleason who the Coaching staff has recruited and is "their Guy" I think LJ will transfer as a Grad and be able to play ASAP with two years... My guess he goes back to the West Coast.... Tobias my also transfer...

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
To be honest with you and this is just MHO.... Yates will never see the field at QB, he was a Paul Johnson recruit... If you see CDP talk about JG he says he is only 6 feet... so anyone smaller then 6 feet doesn't fit their matrix... and may explain wh they were trying to force LJ and TO at QB..besides there inability to just make a decision

Yates best bet is to follow Tobias and play WR, or transfer.... I think moving FWD LJ will Backup James, and next year we have Gleason who the Coaching staff has recruited and is "their Guy" I think LJ will transfer as a Grad and be able to play ASAP with two years... My guess he goes back to the West Coast.... Tobias my also transfer...
I think it's safe to say LJ doesn't fit into the scheme and may be gone after this season. Yates, with some more time in the system, may surprise everyone. He may have a more tuned-in vision of the field with his check downs, etc. Although not as fast or quick as Graham, he's plenty fast and tough enough for the RPO.

Animal02

Banned
This could be a good move. I am not sure I see him at wide out going deep, but as a slot guy with some short slants or other quick throws that get the ball in his hands and some space to run. Overdue switch I think, but glad to see an effort to keep him on the field.
It now will be acceptable having him on KO returns too.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?
I actually think this decision was made before the Citadel game. Graham was hurt during the lead-up to the game and LJ was given the start vs Citadel.

Graham is the reason that this was delayed. Either him being behind in the class room in the Spring and Summer or getting hurt before week 3.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think it's safe to say LJ doesn't fit into the scheme and may be gone after this season. Yates, with some more time in the system, may surprise everyone. He may have a more tuned-in vision of the field with his check downs, etc. Although not as fast or quick as Graham, he's plenty fast and tough enough for the RPO.
Have to agree after seeing Yates his last year in high school he has the it Factor to play QB . Better at rolling out to pass. I could see him getting to play this year in 3 or 4 games.

Deleted member 2897

I can't disagree with this enough. JG was a CPJ recruit too. They're both 4-star guys for a reason. And unlike JG, who is more of an athlete playing at QB, Yates is a 4-star rated as an actual QB.

Yates is 6' tall, and therefore is 3 inches taller than Justin Thomas. Yates is only 1 inch shorter than Tucker Gleason.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I know the thread is about Tobias, but on the topic of Yates: I think he's gone if he doesn't get a real shot this year. It'd make sense for him to transfer rather than wait 3 years for his shot, or for Graham to get injured. In this scenario, I also see Lucas grad transferring as he still has 2 years of eligibility. I think the staff is also very high on Tucker Gleason, who they effectively built the offensive recruiting class around. He is 6'3" and 220 lbs according to his recent HUDL videos (similar to Russo at Temple), and he's incredibly effective as both a passer and runner. As an early enrollee, he'll get plenty of reps too and could surpass those already on our roster like we've seen with other true freshman QBs across CFB.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't disagree with this enough. JG was a CPJ recruit too. They're both 4-star guys for a reason. And unlike JG, who is more of an athlete playing at QB, Yates is a 4-star rated as an actual QB.

Yates is 6' tall, and therefore is 3 inches taller than Justin Thomas. Yates is only 1 inch shorter than Tucker Gleason.

I highly doubt Yates is 6 foot.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

Kyler Murray is 5'10"
Russell Wilson is 5'11"

Exceptions to the rule maybe, but tech is not in the position to get picky about a QBs height.

Besides, I've heard everything (on this forum)t from job is Yates and they're just saving his RS to Yates will never play a down at QB...so who knows.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't know if he is or isn't. However, if you look at the heights/weights listed for the players, and then look at videos released by the football team, there are players who are listed as being an inch taller than another player that appear to be two-to-three inches shorter than that other player. That doesn't have anything to do with the coaching change. Past and current GT heights/weights, and most NCAA teams listed heights/weights are suspect.