Tobias Oliver to WR - PER AJC REPORT

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Kyler Murray is 5'10"
Russell Wilson is 5'11"

Exceptions to the rule maybe, but tech is not in the position to get picky about a QBs height.

Besides, I've heard everything (on this forum)t from job is Yates and they're just saving his RS to Yates will never play a down at QB...so who knows.

You can red shirt and play 4 games. So that wouldn’t make sense. Plus they have a recruit who’ll be an early enrollee.

Height doesn’t matter to me. I’m just stating I highly doubt Yates is 6 foot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is where I predicted Tobias would eventually end up. Good move for the team and good move for him. Adds another playmaker on the field to along with Graham.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Hope to see Tobias motion into the backfield at times and act like a RB. Dude can flat out run it. Last year he had decent ball security and I am thinking the Temple game is more of a freak thing, and also maybe trying to do too much without a lot of help. Intrigues me as a third down back....not that big but bet he would not shy away from picking up blitzes. Kid is physical.

At minimum though I think we see some jet sweep and reverse motion with occasional gives. Problem is teams will be way looking out for them. At least they have to honor the threat though, so even as a decoy it could be of benefit.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To be honest with you and this is just MHO.... Yates will never see the field at QB, he was a Paul Johnson recruit... If you see CDP talk about JG he says he is only 6 feet... so anyone smaller then 6 feet doesn't fit their matrix... and may explain wh they were trying to force LJ and TO at QB..besides there inability to just make a decision

Yates best bet is to follow Tobias and play WR, or transfer.... I think moving FWD LJ will Backup James, and next year we have Gleason who the Coaching staff has recruited and is "their Guy" I think LJ will transfer as a Grad and be able to play ASAP with two years... My guess he goes back to the West Coast.... Tobias my also transfer...

well, those are some heavy thoughts so--throw these in - it will be real interesting if Graham comes up with more academic issues--also Gleason is not having the best of yrs I understand--so put those in the pot and stir it

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
He had surgery following the temple game in Philadelphia

Since that was the 4th game, he should get his redshirt no problem. Give him an extra year to work on his craft and he could be a solid player for us next year (assuming he wants to come back). Hell, maybe he bulks up a bit and moves into a hybrid TE/WR role.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Graham has already been forced off the field once and Johnson has not shown very effectively in the new O. And Yates, though he is pretty good, is a true frosh. Of course, Tobias could always move back to QB if Graham gets hurt.

Unless he gets hurt himself.

ps: I fear our coaches may have a height fetish for QBs. If so, that is too bad. What you need is a performance fetish. If that's the way they approach it, then Yates will do just fine. He's a better player then Gleason already, imho.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Graham has already been forced off the field once and Johnson has not shown very effectively in the new O. And Yates, though he is pretty good, is a true frosh. Of course, Tobias could always move back to QB if Graham gets hurt.

Unless he gets hurt himself.

ps: I fear our coaches may have a height fetish for QBs. If so, that is too bad. What you need is a performance fetish. If that's the way they approach it, then Yates will do just fine. He's a better player then Gleason already, imho.

We won't be in any worse of a position than we are now.

You can't keep someone like Oliver off the field for fear of getting hurt, when now he'll get hit less often than when he was at QB.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Well, Joe Ham was listed at 5'11"... when I saw him in person, he looked like 5'9" or so...

Freshman year I walked past Joe Ham heading from Towers up towards the hill, and I (just a hair under 6’) was at least 2-3” taller than he was in cleats. It blew my mind seeing him be that good at that size.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion, I think Graham has the next 3 games to himself. If we lose all three, putting us at 1-7 and eliminated from a bowl, I see another QB rotation with JG and Yates for the final 4 games. This would preserve Yates’ redshirt and give him playing time. Of course injuries can blow this all up.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In my opinion, I think Graham has the next 3 games to himself. If we lose all three, putting us at 1-7 and eliminated from a bowl, I see another QB rotation with JG and Yates for the final 4 games. This would preserve Yates’ redshirt and give him playing time. Of course injuries can blow this all up.

I don't see JG being pulled unless he's putting up 2-3 interceptions a game and looking extremely shaky.

It would be a detriment to Yates to have his first significant collegiate games be under this rough/green of an on-line, especially with Dave Patenaude preferring the QB to set protections (or an experienced center being able to do it adequately).

He might win the position outright in the spring and might come out for a drive or two a game for a change of pace, but that's it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I know the thread is about Tobias, but on the topic of Yates: I think he's gone if he doesn't get a real shot this year. It'd make sense for him to transfer rather than wait 3 years for his shot, or for Graham to get injured. In this scenario, I also see Lucas grad transferring as he still has 2 years of eligibility. I think the staff is also very high on Tucker Gleason, who they effectively built the offensive recruiting class around. He is 6'3" and 220 lbs according to his recent HUDL videos (similar to Russo at Temple), and he's incredibly effective as both a passer and runner. As an early enrollee, he'll get plenty of reps too and could surpass those already on our roster like we've seen with other true freshman QBs across CFB.
Let’s hope the staff is not hitching their wagon to the wrong horse.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
He's not afraid of contact and can run. He definitely will be utilized in different ways. I was curious when we would complete one to him when he originally lined up on the field with JG.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder why the coaches didn't make this switch sooner. (like fall camp) Was/is Tobias thinking of transfer like Parker Braun? Or did the Coaching staff just completely miss handle the QB transition?
I would guess they suspected that TO was not the long term answer, but had by far the most game experience. Particularly for going into an opener at Clemson. Tobias started at VT last year and was not phased by a big hostile crowd, so it made sense to start the year with a known quantity, especially since the offensive transition is apparently going to take a while.