"To be quite honest, what happened with the defensive line is we lost 5 guys in the off season...."

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach addressed the DL attrition in the offseason and gave a little insight in to why they left.

"Two left due to academics, two left for..... well we won't get into why they left and one I dismissed because he couldn't find his way to class."

Then later he said "We have to do a better job of monitoring them off the field and maybe we'd have more of 'em..."

Sounds like Commissiong didn't go to class and probably after several warnings.

It was JHD who was the one who didn't go to class.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, he's just summarizing off the top of his head. Anthony Williams, Robbins, Akins, Kitchens, JHD, Henry, Commissiong, and maybe more = more than 5.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, he's just summarizing off the top of his head. Anthony Williams, Robbins, Akins, Kitchens, JHD, Henry, Commissiong, and maybe more = more than 5.
Where would we be right now if all those guys suited up on Saturdays? And that's not pining for guys on some other team, these were guys already in the fold. I highly doubt we'd be spending the majority of our posting time arguing about Roof.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
On a totally unrelated note... Justin Thomas currently has more passing yards than Hutson Mason (I know, one more game too but still it's been.... decades since that was true of the GT/UGA QBs.)

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Substitute Kitchens for Whitehead. We can't count Whitehead because he wasn't on the team in the offseason. However, most of us were counting on him to play this year as all the reports were very promising. So you can really say we lost 6 guys.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Kitchens. Wow, it was worse than I thought.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
It was JHD who was the one who didn't go to class.
In another interview he mentioned giving a DL his "walking papers" because he didn't want to go to class. I assumed he was talking about Williams, but I'm pretty sure he's not talking about JHD.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This is extraordinary set of events. The impact on the D execution, scheme, recruiting and staff must be enormous. While the adjustments made inside a game and between games to deal with this seems painful/brutal to watch, it must be equally painful for the SA and staff. I, for one, do not want to see a staffing change this year to adjust to the above. Primarily to not upset the only real fix in getting more talent on the team ASAP.
Tom,
These events didn't "just happen".A lot went into it over a long period of time probably but for some reason it was a big "surprise".If I had a potentially terrible defense (losing six def starters) then if I lost some guys I would make it a point to keep up better with "what was happening" -- unhappiness,flunking,etc etc .

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Tom,
These events didn't "just happen".A lot went into it over a long period of time probably but for some reason it was a big "surprise".If I had a potentially terrible defense (losing six def starters) then if I lost some guys I would make it a point to keep up better with "what was happening" -- unhappiness,flunking,etc etc .

I do not disagree that perhaps several months, even years, may have gone with the hope that the SA(s) would be capable to stay inside the program. But, the perfect storm culminated in a single off-season and prevented anything the staff could do to replenish the D. Without knowing what could have been/should have been conversations, we are left we a heavily depleted DL but sitting 6-2. I have no reason to think anyone on the staff could have prevented this situation and see it more as a triage effort. I will not defend the lack of aggression I see in QB pressure or pass coverage but I am not in favor of changing our staff in anyway.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This team ALWAYS has one game a year that shocks me, ala Clemson in 2011. We will come out and smack Clemson or UGA. Dear Dodd, please let it be UGA. I would love NOTHING more than to do that. Hutson Mason is their worst QB in decades, their WRs are bad, and thin on top of that... PLEASE let Roof sell out to stop the run and make UGA beat us left-handed with Mason.
... yet we lost in OT last year at home when he played... :(

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Tom,
Yeah, these were all totally forseeable and fixable. CPJ failed us AGAIN!

Hate on, Alaguy. Hate on.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, these were all totally forseeable and fixable. CPJ failed us AGAIN!

Hate on, Alaguy. Hate on.
Don't make up words describing me ,troll.I just think it odd that we lose so many guys . Where does" hate"enter into that.I don't hate PJ and NEVER said I did.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I remember a video of Commingsong being punished for skipping class on IG posted by John Marvin I think. So you know he had multiple warnings and chances.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't make up words describing me ,troll.I just think it odd that we lose so many guys . Where does" hate"enter into that.I don't hate PJ and NEVER said I did.

Sorry to use the word hate. One needs only search your posting history here and on other sites to see constant nitpicking of mundane things that all point back to the same conclusion: CPJ should be replaced.