"To be quite honest, what happened with the defensive line is we lost 5 guys in the off season...."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coach addressed the DL attrition in the offseason and gave a little insight in to why they left.

"Two left due to academics, two left for..... well we won't get into why they left and one I dismissed because he couldn't find his way to class."

Then later he said "We have to do a better job of monitoring them off the field and maybe we'd have more of 'em..."

Sounds like Commissiong didn't go to class and probably after several warnings.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
This is extraordinary set of events. The impact on the D execution, scheme, recruiting and staff must be enormous. While the adjustments made inside a game and between games to deal with this seems painful/brutal to watch, it must be equally painful for the SA and staff. I, for one, do not want to see a staffing change this year to adjust to the above. Primarily to not upset the only real fix in getting more talent on the team ASAP.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Also, Jabari Hunt-Days was expected to be a starter this coming season but ended up losing his scholarship but staying on the team as a "walk-on" until next year. In my opinion, he would have had a HUGE impact THIS season, based on everything I've heard he's done as he's helped our offense prepare for games.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
LAST in power 5 defense. Indiana, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Texas FREAKING TECH that gave up 82 just last week.... and we, we, we, are last. It's not just the depth issues or DL talent.

I think we can retain that position and get to 8-4. If we have aspirations for beating CU or UGA, we will need significant improvement on scheme/execution.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we can retain that position and get to 8-4. If we have aspirations for beating CU or UGA, we will need significant improvement on scheme/execution.

This team ALWAYS has one game a year that shocks me, ala Clemson in 2011. We will come out and smack Clemson or UGA. Dear Dodd, please let it be UGA. I would love NOTHING more than to do that. Hutson Mason is their worst QB in decades, their WRs are bad, and thin on top of that... PLEASE let Roof sell out to stop the run and make UGA beat us left-handed with Mason.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
LAST in power 5 defense. Indiana, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Texas FREAKING TECH that gave up 82 just last week.... and we, we, we, are last. It's not just the depth issues or DL talent.
Yet we have won six games out of eight. Its not necessarily a bad thing when your best defense is standing on the sidelines when your actual defense is on the field. I wouldn't mind a little less drama when the other guy has the ball but as long as we win, I'll find a way to somehow cope.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Yet we have won six games out of eight. Its not necessarily a bad thing when your best defense is standing on the sidelines when your actual defense is on the field. I wouldn't mind a little less drama when the other guy has the ball but as long as we win, I'll find a way to somehow cope.

I am not a football guru, nor did I stay at a holiday inn recently, but something about the next 4 games is different from the first 8, no?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Coach just now realizes we need to do a better job monitoring them? Really, at a school like GT?

Coaches, long time ago , would literally stick head in the door to see if someone was there.

Lord help them if they were not.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coach just now realizes we need to do a better job monitoring them? Really, at a school like GT?

Coaches, long time ago , would literally stick head in the door to see if someone was there.

Lord help them if they were not.
Before this wave of attrition (not sure how it affects this), we had one of the highest APR's in the nation at one of the hardest schools in the nation. What does that tell you?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Coach addressed the DL attrition in the offseason and gave a little insight in to why they left.

"Two left due to academics, two left for..... well we won't get into why they left and one I dismissed because he couldn't find his way to class."

Then later he said "We have to do a better job of monitoring them off the field and maybe we'd have more of 'em..."

I had the impression he was referring there to JHD, not Commissiong.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Before this wave of attrition (not sure how it affects this), we had one of the highest APR's in the nation at one of the hardest schools in the nation. What does that tell you?

I've heard that their standing when they left school is what is used to compute the APR. So two guys flunking out significantly hurts, and if the other guys who left for other reasons were in bad standing then it *really* hurts.

The big "problem" for us is we cannot go after exception after exception. The issue isn't necessarily getting kids in school, it's keeping them in school.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow

Bingo. So the five he's talking about is Whitehead, Hunt-Days, Akins, Robbins and Commisiong. Not to mention we also lost Anthony Williams, who wasn't a superstar but he had been in the rotation the last couple of years and I assume that he is better than Travis and a true freshman. Also lost Travin Henry. Not hard to figure out why we've been bad on defense. Really bad defensive line=inability to stop the run and generate pass rush.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. So the five he's talking about is Whitehead, Hunt-Days, Akins, Robbins and Commisiong. Not to mention we also lost Anthony Williams, who wasn't a superstar but he had been in the rotation the last couple of years and I assume that he is better than Travis and a true freshman. Also lost Travin Henry. Not hard to figure out why we've been bad on defense. Really bad defensive line=inability to stop the run and generate pass rush.
Substitute Kitchens for Whitehead. We can't count Whitehead because he wasn't on the team in the offseason. However, most of us were counting on him to play this year as all the reports were very promising. So you can really say we lost 6 guys.