TN VOLS fans coming to VT/GT game - NEED ADVICE

VOLStud50

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello Tech fans - I'm excited about our season opener in 2017, too bad it won't be at your home stadium - neutral site loses too much tradition.

Anyways, a group of us travel to see new stadiums each year and this year we are coming to GTech and then on to a FSU home game. I need your help on suggestions on where to eat, which bars are good, where to tailgate, where to find tickets at, where to stay, etc.

We want to experience the GT atmosphere and don't want to miss any must see traditions.

Thanks for any advice you can give us.

GT18YJjr

Georgia Tech Fan
If you've never been to the Varsity, you need to go there. Tickets should be easy to find on Stubhub. Not a bad seat anywhere in the stadium.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
GT/VT is always a great game. A Thursday night in November should be prime.

BTW - There are very few, if any, "Tech fans." We're like the mafia in that regard. You're either born into it or went there and are a made man.

You have to get a burger (almost world famous?) and imbibe at the Vortex (great atmosphere - things you really gotta' know) on Peachtree Street.

It is pretty cool to watch the GT marching band parade down the 3rd street hill to enter the stadium before the game.

Have a safe and fun trip. Go Jackets!

Last edited:

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a fan of the Varsity. After the game, go to the Vortex and get some burgers. One tradition is to go to Yellow Jacket Alley (Brittain street on the north side of the stadium) about two hours before kickoff (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the time) to see the team arrive with the band.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
FYI, as a fellow outsider, don't go to the Varsity expecting "good food" or "reasonable service" or "a layout that makes any sense whatsoever".

It's a dive laid out like a labyrinth, where the staff just scream at you, and the food is bog standard diner fare.

Here's the part where I feign outrage at you disparaging the fine institution that is the Varsity ...

"Well I nevah! I say, good day to you, sir ....." (Foghorn Leghorn voice and all)

Ok, back to reality, the Varsity is just a place you go to tell other folks about it. Make them wanna go, then you laugh as their insides turn to fire on the way to the closest port-a-john. Thanks for ruining the "fun" for our visiting Vol friend.

To the OP, walk past the Varsity then go eat at the Vortex.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
North stands are great- view of downtown
sit in middle - during t&e cheer - Yellow Jackets - person on left yells Yellow,then person on right yells Jackets.

When /a tech has ball - before snap look where DT k in up. With snap watch center and guards then bb then then follow the qb.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Just have your butt in seat ready for some good GT football.
Make your way to jackets alley 90 mins before kickoff.
Then follow the band to various locations.
@ClydeBrick knows the gig very well.

The varsity is pretty good..
VORTEX, NOW THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY!!
You should try a carnivorgasm or coronary bypass...
Man..that's some good stuff! !
Dang I'm sooo ready for kickoff! !

41 days 5 hrs and 40.mins away

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
For Bars there are a bunch on Peachtree st. Taco Mac has an amazing beer selection if you've never been (150+ beers easily). Your game ticket gets you into the Cheetah for free which is always a highlight for out of towners (it's a gentelman's club if that's what you're interested in.) Thursday night could be kind of lame around campus after the game - it's a toss up. If it is you can get a cab or uber to Midtown bars such as Peachtree tavern or Moondogs which will have lots of college aged kids. Or you could head to the Virginia Highlands area which has about every kind of bar you could imagine. Also Thursday before the game you might be able to sneak in a trip to Sweetwater Brewery. It'll be a tight squeeze, but I've done it before, just drink fast. As others have mentioned Vortex/Varsity are always good. Varsity will be crowded gameday.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Go to the Cheetah but don't bring the wife
Mine complains if we don't go there. Last year for HC our drunken group had plans to go, got distracted and stayed at another bar, and she grabbed me, said we're leaving, and we went to the cheetah alone. Guess she's a keeper?

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
I would first like to say welcome it will be great to have you (just make sure you are wearing white and gold (y)).

The first thing to remember is that you will be in Atlanta on a Thursday which means rush hour traffic starts at 3:30 and goes until 7:00. Seems like a mute point but can make a big difference when planning. I would suggest getting in town early and sticking to side streets once you are here.

Like others have mentioned if you want to see the band and team walk in just be on the north side of the stadium 2 hours before kickoff. It's not a bad tradition, neat to see, but IMHO not a necessity. I would recommend being in your seat at least 20 mins before kickoff though. The intro music and video is great and seeing the wreck lead the team on the field is simply iconic.

For seating I would recommend pretty much anything in the north half of the stadium. It's gives you a great view of the jumbotron. Plus the atlanta skyline is a great backdrop. Tickets can easily be bought on stubhub and I think single game tickets went on sale today through the ticket office.

As an earlier poster said I would not recommend the varsity. Stop in and get a frosted orange but the food is over priced and extremely greasy. The best burger in town is hands down the Vortex. If you choose to forego the pregame walk, I would recommend hitting up Sweetwater brewery at 5:30 for a "sampling", and then busting it down to the stadium for the game.

I'll lay off commenting on good bars and tailgating except to say that since it's a Thursday night the tailgating scene won't be nearly as robust as a Saturday. The on campus lots don't open until 5 to the public but there are some off campus options. I havnt been to the atlanta bar scene in about 5 years so I don't want to steer you wrong.

I hope you have a good time.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Lots of recs for vortex so I'll agree with that and then go into varsity for a frosted orange. Varsity is def something you want to see but not necessarily ingest. I saw bill Clinton go in there as a freshman.

I used to park over by vortex off juniper because there's a lot that's only 5 bucks and juniper is awesome if you hit the lights correctly.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Midtown has plenty of bars and clubs. U can walk. Dont bother with the varsity. Marlos, vortex, taco mac, hudson grille, front page news, ri ra, all better options. Make sure u get into the tech campus to tailgate. Dont assume its just parking decks on the perimeter. Walk the campus. Alot of food in the student center too.