TN VOLS fans coming to VT/GT game - NEED ADVICE

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Recaps of comments with possible schedule.
MARTA or cab to downtown
1) CF Hall of Fame - afternoon
2) Ga Aquarium - this is really something to see too - afternoon
MARTA or cab to Midtown
3) Brew & Burgers at the Vortex late afternoon
4) Walk to the Varsity for frosted orange and behold the madness
5) Walk over to north side of stadium T-45 for band pre-game activities
6) Watch GT whoop a$$
7) Post game - Midtown, VA-Hi, or L5P bars
8) Collect underpants
10) Profit

Animal02

Banned
The Varsity is an integral part of the Tech gameday experience. I'd say go eat at the Vortex. But go by the Varsity to see it and order a Frosted Orange or a fried Peach pie. There's a ton of history there.

The Varsity is the best food in the world to those of us who grew up eating it before Tech, Falcons and Braves games. To me, a Varsity Chili dog tastes like being six years old with my Dad and Granddad going to a game. The food is the same as it was decades ago (for better or worse). To outsiders it tastes like the mid-range fast food it is.

You should have a blast. Bobby Dodd is a great place to watch a game. Every non-Tech fan I've taken to a game has been thoroughly entertained. As the Tulane fan next to me last year said: "you guys sure have a lot of songs".

Also, as Vols fans, you should be able to get behind "the good word" - "To Hell With Georgia".
There was nothing like a 'V' run at 1 am after a night of bar hopping. :hungry:

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Buy Tickets on the East sideline(visitors ) the fans are usually more rowdy, and not too many of the older alumni telling you to sit down.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Yes, a tremendous view of the offense and probably the best skyline view of Atlanta at night. I've sat in the east and west stands over the years and I keep going back to the north stands
I've never been a fan of end zone seating, that being said our offense would make it an interesting view.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
If you eat at the Varsity then keep in mind that we have much, much better food haha. It's more of an icon than a legitimately good place to eat anymore.

If you want some good local food I'd say go to the Vortex (assuming everyone in your group is at least 21) or Fat Matt's Rib Shack for some blues and excellent barbecue.

Have fun, hope you enjoy Bobby Dodd!

Animal02

Banned
Had end zone seats in Charlotte and perspective was awesome.
Had 2nd row corner endzone seats at Pitt......saw little of the game since it all happened in the opposite endzone except the strip fumble against Pitt at the goal line. On the other hand my 7 y.o. had a blast high giving buzz the entire game. ( Then there was the young alumni sitting behind us hitting on my 25 y.o. daughter most of the game. :stop:)

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The V food is gawd awful but its gameday so you gotta get a dog and an FO and a V hat (if they still give those out).

The tailgating at Tech probably isn't up there with Neyland but get in the groove of what GT is about - an inner city school in the South (the only one I can think of) with over 100 years of solid college football tradition. We have 4 National Championships in 4 different eras of college football (WWI -1917; pre WWII - 1928 - in the Rose Bowl; post WWII 1952 and most recently in 1990); we have three 100-win coaches including John Heisman after whom the trophy is named - CPJ may the fourth 100-win coach if he sticks around for another 5 years.

If you can, pick a night game to attend - the skyline behind the stadium is a sight to behold.

I hope you have a good time at our place and I definitely look forward to getting the Vols back on the schedule! I was at the last few games we played at BDS and always thought highly of the UT program - very glad we can meet again in what I thought was one of the better OOC games of the season back in the day.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
Back in my day we all joined in on singing "Rocky Top". I hope both bands get coordinated. You Orange pukes need to get with our Bud song 3rd quarter. I am very pleased to see UT return to the Flats.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
UT won't be on the flats bone...as others have said it will be in the Dome. I'd love to get Tenn on a home and away before I friggin die. Ditto for aubie n bammer.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
The Vortex is a really good choice. My experiences there:

(1) You will leave feeling like an anaconda that just swallowed a couple of wildebeest (and I mean that in a good way).

(2) Washing your hands after you finish you meal will not get all the juicy burger-goodness off you. You need to wash your whole face (don't forget behind the ears), and even that won't suffice. They really need a shower room for after-dinner cleaning up. (Or you could be a real wuss and eat your burger with a knife and fork.)

(3) The messy, stuffed-to-the-gills feeling you have when you leave is HIGHLY addictive.

(4). You will gain a couple pounds every time you (fondly) remember eating there.
Oversell. Vortex IS good. But not this.