Tip Off Tomorrow Miami of Ohio

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I do get the need to be patient with the roster turnover at 1 and 5, but we’d better figure out something quick because our schedule gets serious pretty quickly.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, I like Sturdy a lot too but he cannot play big minutes and be invisible on offense.

Last year, he was able to get to the cup and finish or dump off for a dunk. We will need more of that from him and a floater would be nice.

We don’t need he or DS to score 20+ per game, but we do need them to be a threat.
if we want to reach our ceiling it will be with Smith playing majority of pg minutes and Kyle as backup. Kyles to much of a liability on offense so he would need to play lock down defense. Also can't get in the paint and create for others frequently enough.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The kg account took a hiatus after this one. How frustrating. All we needed was someone to make us get good possessions down the stretch. That'll come.

Although we're not "young", we're inexperienced at the 1 which showed in that game.

Not sure why Devoe has constantly gotten unwarranted hate among us fans. We're lucky to have him.

Good to see Howard have a solid effort. Can't ask for much more.

Definitely need more from the freshmen guards although it's unfair to ask.

Not panicking yet. We always start slow as molasses on a cold day.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if we want to reach our ceiling it will be with Smith playing majority of pg minutes and Kyle as backup. Kyles to much of a liability on offense so he would need to play lock down defense. Also can't get in the paint and create for others frequently enough.
I'm not sure that I agree... Kyle is very capable of getting into the paint. I'd argue that he can penetrate as well or better than Smith, he did frequently last year.

His challenge is that he needs to more aggressive offensively. He is accustomed to being a floor general, setting up the offense, but we need him to assert himself.

Obviously DS is the better athlete of the two, but I think that Kyle is a better shooter. They'll both play big minutes throughout the season.

I suspect Coach will play the one that more within the flow of the game.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure that I agree... Kyle is very capable of getting into the paint. I'd argue that he can penetrate as well or better than Smith, he did frequently last year.

His challenge is that he needs to more aggressive offensively. He is accustomed to being a floor general, setting up the offense, but we need him to assert himself.

Obviously DS is the better athlete of the two, but I think that Kyle is a better shooter. They'll both play big minutes throughout the season.

I suspect Coach will play the one that more within the flow of the game.
If by aggressive you mean getting in the paint and creating for others then I agree. If you mean him looking for his shot and to score then no. I don't think Kyle is a better shooter, or a good shooter in general. But, I guess we will see..

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Both Kyle and Devion got open jumpers at the foul line coming off the big at the elbow. It is a shot they have to take and make. Devion took at least 2 I can remember and missed and there were several opportunities for both they didn't take. It is the kind of shot that they need to be aggressive enough to take and make. I don't see either of them as significant 3 point shooters (hope I am wrong) but that mid range shot will likely be open for them.

Not as big an issue as getting us into a legit set during the last couple of minutes but that is as much Usher trying to do too much and a set for Devoe from CJP I didn't like much.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Between DS and KS at the Point, I’d love for them to at least emerge with the balance that former player Josh Heath brought to the PG spot. He ran team, dished well, played D and hit enough jumpers and drives to always demand respect from other team.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yep--KS is a my biggest disappointment right now.He showed fine promise last yr and coming out flat in the first real game is NOT good at all.He is 3 yrs out of hi school so should show more..

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
yep--KS is a my biggest disappointment right now.He showed fine promise last yr and coming out flat in the first real game is NOT good at all.He is 3 yrs out of hi school so should show more..
apparently people were higher on him from last year then I was

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those that are criticizing Usher's play, just know this: He was our 2nd leading scorer (12pts), 2nd leading rebounder (9 rebs), and tied for 1st in assists (3 asst) that game. I'll be first in line to say that we need Usher to be better, and he should have played better against MOH, but we didn't lose this game because of him. Anyone who is saying that has lost the plot. He certainly needed to shoot better (0-4 from 3) and take care of the ball (3 TOs...most along with Devoe and Smith), but he did a lot for us that game to keep us in it.

This was a team loss. Outside of Devoe, this team needed other guys like Usher/Sturdivant/Moore/Smith to play better. Smith is a freshmen, but he got to play a season in the SEC. Sturdivant and Moore have been at GT for multiple seasons, and they are better players than what we saw against MOH. We have to take care of the ball, and have the ability to disrupt the other team more. One of the key things that we don't talk about much but was key to the success of last season is how disruptive we were on defense last season. We have the athletes on this team to be disruptive, but everyone needs to know what the person next to them and behind them are doing. That takes time.

If the rotation of the MOH game is any indication, the bench rotation players will be Smith/Deebo/Kelly/Saba. That's 2 true freshmen, 1 player in his 1st season with GT, and a big man that barely played last season. That's not a lot of players with court time in our system and playing with the returning players.

I fully expect a MUCH better game against Stetson. I think the freshmen will be less tentative, and the veterans to show leadership.

GT11

GT Athlete
For those that are criticizing Usher's play, just know this: He was our 2nd leading scorer (12pts), 2nd leading rebounder (9 rebs), and tied for 1st in assists (3 asst) that game. I'll be first in line to say that we need Usher to be better, and he should have played better against MOH, but we didn't lose this game because of him. Anyone who is saying that has lost the plot. He certainly needed to shoot better (0-4 from 3) and take care of the ball (3 TOs...most along with Devoe and Smith), but he did a lot for us that game to keep us in it.

This was a team loss. Outside of Devoe, this team needed other guys like Usher/Sturdivant/Moore/Smith to play better. Smith is a freshmen, but he got to play a season in the SEC. Sturdivant and Moore have been at GT for multiple seasons, and they are better players than what we saw against MOH. We have to take care of the ball, and have the ability to disrupt the other team more. One of the key things that we don't talk about much but was key to the success of last season is how disruptive we were on defense last season. We have the athletes on this team to be disruptive, but everyone needs to know what the person next to them and behind them are doing. That takes time.

If the rotation of the MOH game is any indication, the bench rotation players will be Smith/Deebo/Kelly/Saba. That's 2 true freshmen, 1 player in his 1st season with GT, and a big man that barely played last season. That's not a lot of players with court time in our system and playing with the returning players.

I fully expect a MUCH better game against Stetson. I think the freshmen will be less tentative, and the veterans to show leadership.
Totally agree

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'm willing to bet Bubba will be there instead of Kelly once healthy fwiw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm willing to bet Bubba will be there instead of Kelly once healthy fwiw.

After watching the MOH game, Bubba will play a bigger role than we probably expected during the offseason.

That said, I think Kelly will play a decent amount of minutes this season. If what Pastner and the players have said of Kelly is any indication, Kelly is one of our best shooters on the team. This team desperately needs shooting.

You can tell Kelly was really tentative. Hopefully the freshmen jitters are out of his system.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whomever of Deebo/Kelly/Bubba shows they can consistently make a perimeter shot will get lots of minutes.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Was anyone else amazed with difference in size between Sturdy and Smith? Smith looked so small.

Agreed, I like Sturdy a lot too but he cannot play big minutes and be invisible on offense.

Last year, he was able to get to the cup and finish or dump off for a dunk. We will need more of that from him and a floater would be nice.

We don’t need he or DS to score 20+ per game, but we do need them to be a threat.
Yeah Sturdy looked, well more sturdy going through traffic for rebounds. I was impressed last season with some of his slashing cuts last season and hope to see him return to that this season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First game. I expect things to settle out a little, and people to find their roles. I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I was pretty confused about the last two shot selections, but they'll figure it out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, young. We had times where there were two players playing their first game ever at the college level and one playing after very limited minutes in prior seasons.

Age for Howard and Saba doesn’t really mean anything given that they haven’t played much. Minutes logged on the court is critical.
Simply poor excuses for the team falling on their face. No excuse as this is an annual occurrence. What was the excuse last year for GA St and Mercer. 3 seniors and a junior who has over 500 minutes playing time. That neither young nor inexperienced.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Simply poor excuses for the team falling on their face. No excuse as this is an annual occurrence. What was the excuse last year for GA St and Mercer. 3 seniors and a junior who has over 500 minutes playing time. That neither young nor inexperienced.
I agree there was no excuse last year. But this isn’t last year. It’s frustrating to lose, but you still need to look at the team realistically.

The parts that really frustrated me were Usher forcing those shots at the end and Devoe getting himself into no man’s land without an outlet…and yeah, those guys are seniors and should know better. But you can’t blame the entire loss on those two moments.

The team will get better.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Yeah I agree with this with the caveat that Usher needs to be more aware of the clock down the stretch. Other than that I thought he played really well and just had some good looks from three not fall - which he made many times last year.

We will be ok.