Tip Off Tomorrow Miami of Ohio

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Last edited:

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Excellent write-up on Miami-Ohio in article below. They are 'old', guard oriented, a lot of one on one - may have overachieved last year and basically same players just a year older.
Scroll down in article to find Miami-Ohio write-up. This article puts them in a group of five as 'second tier' behind Buffalo and Ohio in MAC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice find - at one level I don't see anyone on their roster who would kill us if we go small - so I expect we will for some part of the game. On the other hand old guards are going to be a lot harder to press/trap than Morehouse was. I am hoping this is simply a nice warmup OOC game for us (unlike last year).

slugboy

Staff member
Excellent write-up on Miami-Ohio in article below. They are 'old', guard oriented, a lot of one on one - may have overachieved last year and basically same players just a year older.
Scroll down in article to find Miami-Ohio write-up. This article puts them in a group of five as 'second tier' behind Buffalo and Ohio in MAC.

Wow. Is there an ACC write-up that good?

So, what I read and saw:
  • They have 3 guards and two forwards—no big “bigs”
  • Their tallest “starter” players are 6’7” or 6’8”. They have a 6’11” sophomore who seems to be down on the depth chart (?? not sure about that ??)
  • Boy, they’ve mastered “get old, stay old”.
  • They went 12-11 last year
  • They were nearly 37% as a team in 3 pt %
  • They were 160th in offensive rebounds and 222nd in defensive rebounds. It looks like an opportunity for us to get off the rebounding snide. (We were ranked 298th in offensive rebounds and 334th in defensive rebounds last year, so we were deep into a pit of no rebounding last year. It’s amazing the numbers can even go that low 😳)
  • They aren’t a “system” team, according to the forecast. They’re very low in assists; 12.1 assists/game low. But, we were high in assists at 15.8, so it’s not as big a number you might guess.
  • Vegas seems to like us by 10.5; I don’t trust Vegas in the early season, though. Or the late season.
It looks like a game where we need to start hot, get them to give up, play good team defense—especially against the 3, and get a lot of rebounds. Starting like we did last year against Mercer and GaState would be horrible. I’d expect Usher to play really well in this game. We could use good games out of our frontcourt.
If we were ten games into the season, I feel like we’d roll over them. In game 1, I hope that we play well enough as a team to get assists, run plays together, and know our defensive assignments. We have enough youth on the team that I hope we know how to play together.

We’ll see, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Favored by 10.5
I have zero angle on this game.
I'd tease us down to a 2 or 3 point favorite if I could.

We should win this, but 10.5 is a lot. Curious if Vegas is trying to trap some people into thinking the reigning ACC Champs are taking on a middle of the road MAC team.

If I'm surprised and we win handedly, then we may be in for a really good year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure as hell glad to be over on this side of the board right now! I'm pumped for the game tonight and ready to see the reigning ACC Champs take the floor!

Two HUGE holes to fill from last year's roster. I think Kyle would do OK replacing Jose, so I have an idea of what we have there and the floor is pretty high. I have no clue what we're going to do down low to replace Moses, but to be honest, coach Rev has done a phenomenal job at developing the big men, so I imagine someone will emerge by January.

Let's go Jackets!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of things (3) about Miami to remember tonight.

- Miami returns all five starters from a season ago.
- Miami ranked second the MAC in fewest turnovers and 24th nationally.
- Miami also set a team single season record for free-throw percentage in 2020-21, connecting on 77.6 percent of its charity tosses.

We are going to have to beat them. They are not likely to beat themselves.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm sure as hell glad to be over on this side of the board right now! I'm pumped for the game tonight and ready to see the reigning ACC Champs take the floor!

Two HUGE holes to fill from last year's roster. I think Kyle would do OK replacing Jose, so I have an idea of what we have there and the floor is pretty high. I have no clue what we're going to do down low to replace Moses, but to be honest, coach Rev has done a phenomenal job at developing the big men, so I imagine someone will emerge by January.

Let's go Jackets!

Agree about being ready. :buzz: Would only be better if baseball were starting too.

Game @ 1930 on ACCNX / ESPN+. https://ramblinwreck.com/jackets-open-regular-season-vs-miami-of-ohio-110121/

Best of all it's Wiley doing the play by play! (y)(y)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited to see how Pastner uses our guys. I think our depth, with the addition of Deivon Smith and the talented and long freshmen, gives Pastner the ability to run everyone into the ground equally each game lol. From reading various interviews, it looks we're going to try and dictate pace on both ends of the floor...the pace the players have talked about is keeping it fast.

It's a shame Maxwell is out. His body looked totally different (in a good way) in preseason scrimmage videos. He hasn't played much the past two years, but it looks like he's put in the work.

The freshmen, especially Deebo and Kelly, should be fun to watch. Our guys are REALLY talking up Deebo and Kelly. Kelly apparently can not only shoot well, but has a good array of shots at his disposal...some of which we saw in his recruiting film.

I'm also interested in our post production. I'm hearing good things about Saba's offensive skillset, but he's still lacking on the defensive side a bit due to his strength. Meka sounds like a someone that's nonstop effort with high athleticism.

Michael Devoe put in a lot of work improving his speed and explosiveness. Early feedback is that it's paying off. Will be interested to see it translate to his game.

I expect our usual early season hickups (it's not GT basketball without them), and Miami is a decent early season test for a non P5 school. Always different playing another team when you've been practicing against your teammates for months. Seems like we'll be able to utilize our NASCAR lineup against Miami as they don't have the length (and dare I say the athletes) that ACC schools have.

Let's get this win and start the season on a good note. Not gonna lie, football season hasn't been fun for us, so this is a welcome time for our basketball team. This should be a VERY fun team to watch given the depth of athletes we have on our roster. Whether it translates to another NCAA tournament appearance we'll find out in the coming months. Until then, I'm going to enjoy this team figuring out the best fit, and watching the young guys develop and mesh with the old heads on the team.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Well we get another crack at Miami this week, albeit a new sport and different state.

I’m pumped to get to watch some GT basketball again! Looking forward to seeing you all on chat! Go Jackets!

Good write up on the loyal opposition:
As a former sports reporter, the writeup from our SID is fantastic.

I love that there's a whole section on how to refer to Tech. "Georgia Tech University is incorrect."