Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
For the hundredth time, by that posters own logic, those players put their top choices in the top four. If they really had offers from p5, why would they not list those instead of East Carolina and such?

You many of the core guys could even put ECU?

This is an awkward hill to die on! The way you are dismissive of 1 or 2 yrs of training is unbelievable! This is roughly 500hr to 1000hrs of on the job training and you think those habits, tendencies, and even learning a new language would change immediately?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You many of the core guys could even put ECU?

This is an awkward hill to die on! The way you are dismissive of 1 or 2 yrs of training is unbelievable! This is roughly 500hr to 1000hrs of on the job training and you think those habits, tendencies, and even learning a new language would change immediately?
You know exactly what I mean and I refuse to explain it again to you. You complain about people arguing the same points over and over and then you continue to insight the behavior. I've explained all of the bc comparison very thoroughly in the past, and I stand by it.

Regarding your second point, nobody was asking for the players to be world beaters in the new system, but not pretty much next to last, especially in the second year with transfers who played in systems we are trying to run added in. That's all.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You know exactly what I mean and I refuse to explain it again to you. You complain about people arguing the same points over and over and then you continue to insight the behavior. I've explained all of the bc comparison very thoroughly in the past, and I stand by it.

Regarding your second point, nobody was asking for the players to be world beaters in the new system, but not pretty much next to last, especially in the second year with transfers who played in systems we are trying to run added in. That's all.

I don’t mind the same points being argued, just not incorrect ones i.e. “We run a Texas Spread HS offense” ( that one always cracks me up LMAO) or run blocking is run blocking”

What gets lost in these debates, not only did we change schematically, but our opponents defensive looks changed as well. The OL is not getting that same Bud Foster or Venables cross-charge or getting balanced looks every week. If you want to say our talent is comparable BC, then have it but our mental talent/OL IQ wasn’t the same as BC. This also why many are putting an asterisk on the first 2 seasons.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind the same points being argued, just not incorrect ones i.e. “We run a Texas Spread HS offense” ( that one always cracks me up LMAO) or run blocking is run blocking”

What gets lost in these debates, not only did we change schematically, but our opponents defensive looks changed as well. The OL is not getting that same Bud Foster or Venables cross-charge or getting balanced looks every week. If you want to say our talent is comparable BC, then have it but our mental talent/OL IQ wasn’t the same as BC. This also why many are putting an asterisk on the first 2 seasons.
I never said the first part if you are referring to me.

But that's fine if you want the asterisk on the first two seasons I guess, but we can agree to disagree on the reasons why. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I never said the first part if you are referring to me.

But that's fine if you want the asterisk on the first two seasons I guess, but we can agree to disagree on the reasons why. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.
The first part is ColoradoNeverWatchedFootballJacket

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
By @LibertyTurns logic of run blocking is run blocking, a civil engineer should seamlessly transition into aerospace engineer and still perform at a high level. There is nuances to the game of football which makes it so beautiful yet so complicated that a special skill set for it.
I think the better analogy would be a transportation engineer should seamlessly transition to a structural engineer. They're both civil engineers by training. They took all the same classes. So what if all their OJT, skills development, and focus were in different areas (using different techniques). Civil Engineering IS Civil Engineering, right?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The data is there. It drives you to the root cause. Someone’s driving the bus and that person plus staff beneath him are not just performing poorly with a re-engineered line, they are performing as if they have no clue what they’re doing. I think you know who I’m referring to. It’s going to be CGC’s undoing unless this dude magically figures it out or he hits the eject button very soon.

Whatever will happen will happen and I’m along for the ride. Just sad to see our kids suffer at the expense of making excuses for the weak link in the chain because a mistake was made & pride gets in the way of doing what’s needed. It’s what most of us do in our businesses unless we’re wanting to fail. I like GT being competitive & having a chance to beat everyone on our schedule. It used to be that way this entire century.
Appreciate the football outsiders data, but am I missing something that seems to be leading to this doom and gloom outlook?

According to the data you posted in 2020 we ranked 66th on Line yards, 30 whole spots better than 2019. That seems pretty good.

I'm not familiar with all of these metrics but for opportunity rate, which they define as the percentage of carries where the line does its job, GT ranked...28th? Ahead of bama and notre dame? What? That seems exceptional but doesn't pass the eye test for what I watched last year.

Though they have us ranked close to the bottom for stuff rate and sack rate which matches a bit more with what I saw last year. We were boom out bust.

I look at those stats and see reason for optimism with what we have coming back and experience being added with transfers. And getting a spring. And not having to deal with as stringent Covid protocols. I think we could take a decent step forward

LibertyTurns

Banned
Appreciate the football outsiders data, but am I missing something that seems to be leading to this doom and gloom outlook? ............

.............I look at those stats and see reason for optimism with what we have coming back and experience being added with transfers.
Yes what it’s telling us is our line is not as incapable as it’s being made out to be. Some people think all out old line did was belly flop & take out knees and this is coming from our own fanbase. The only thing between us & competitive levels of performance on the OL is a decent game plan, some organization & the discipline to execute. The core tools to function at an above average level running have been present and this season we have depth on top of that. Pass blocking is still ragged but there’s absolutely no reason we can’t and couldn’t run successfully with the top tier backs we have and an OL like we got. That alone should keep us in games. Some improvement in pass blocking and we’re easily a bowl bound team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Asterisk my hind foot. Coaches are paid to win. Collins made his choices: new coaching staff, new offense, new defense -- well, that is what he said but it looks awfully familiar to me -- so win already. I ain't getting any younger you know.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Bumping this to see if anyone's opinions changed
Hah, I read the first couple posts and felt my blood pressure rising... no coach should get an asterisk for any season, much less two or three seasons. Then I noticed the dates.

Seems the staff fell way short of most people's minimum acceptable results ahead of last season's dreadful outcome.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hah, I read the first couple posts and felt my blood pressure rising... no coach should get an asterisk for any season, much less two or three seasons. Then I noticed the dates.

Seems the staff fell way short of most people's minimum acceptable results ahead of last season's dreadful outcome.
Amen!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

But cgc hired the staff all in one month and was too loyal thru 3 years

Cgc and Thacker have an *** trick by their name for first 4 games. Defense has good depth so if defense does not look much improved thru ucf, it's the *** trick for them. Must show good second half adjustments.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
What needs to be buried is this thread...
I honestly don't think opinions matter at this point. If Collins doesn't get at least 6 wins, it is highly likely he is gone. A very discontented fanbase, loss of fanbase and general apathy about GT Football in the public setting in means no more excuses can be accepted. I would think another poor year if TStan doesn't make a move, he is gone as well.