Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We are broke precisely because we have paid three former coaches absurd amounts of money to be unemployed by GT. We also don't give well as a program. In 2017 there was a ranking of all 65 P5 programs on football spending. We finished 61st. Only Wake Forest spends less than us in the ACC. You can call it broke or frugal, but either which way we are pinching pennies. Ask any STH about the emails monthly from the GTAA detailing how they need more money just to pay current expenses. We were broke before COVID, and we aren't any better since.

Edit to add another article:

"This past year’s $13.6 million debt service accounted for 15% of expenses in the past year’s budget, well above the ACC average of about 8%. For a $14 million annual debt payment (which is what Tech projects to pay in two years) to comprise 8% of expenses, Tech’s budget would have to be $175 million — about $84 million more than it is projected to be."
Great info. Wasn’t aware of most of those issue.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
2019 was Year 0 because we were going from the triple option, which all the players were recruited for, to our current offense and had a whole new playbook so you couldn't count that season against Collins.

2020 I would say should have been Year 1 for Collins, but to me THIS is the asterisks year because of COVID. We had no spring training and a messed up fall camp and season overall. I think everything considered going 3-7 (what should have been 6-4 but refs screwed us in 3 games and you can't tell me otherwise.) wasn't bad.

2021 is officially Collins first year for me. He has his guys, and this year didn't count as far as eligibility so a lot of guys got good experience for next year and learned the system. I fully expect us to win 5 games at least next year and if we don't I will be very disappointed.
Did not we have about 2 wks of Spring trng? I think VaTech had none I believe.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My only disagreement is that in many years the big 4/5 conference champions don't deserve to be invited. The Pac12 champ this year had 4 wins and the Big10 champ had 6 wins.

Last year the AAC's champ had 2 losses, the Big12 champ had 2 losses, C-USA had 3 losses, mid-American had a ton, Mountain West had 2 losses, Pac12 had 2 losses, Sun Belt had 1 loss.

So last year you could do ACC champ, SEC Champ, Big10 champ and Sun Belt champ to get 4 teams who all had 1 loss or fewer. Last year the Big10 had 2 teams with 2 losses and the SEC had 3 teams with 2 losses. So if you go to 6-8 teams, you're going to end up right back where you started - 3 to 4 teams arguing that they should be in the top 8.
Win your conference, you get a ticket. Don't win your conference, you go somewhere else. It's that easy. Conference winners ONLY.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Win your conference, you get a ticket. Don't win your conference, you go somewhere else. It's that easy. Conference winners ONLY.
I dont agree with this based on the college basketball model. It leaves the possibility of a 6 win team getting in the playoff.
Was it 2012 when 2 teams ahead of us in the division had to bow out of the ACCCG and we kept the game against FSU close. We had a 6-7 record.
It would be better if no polls were released until the 3rd week in October. All teams would have a body of work and 4 loss $ec teams wouldn't be ranked just because they were ranked high in preseason polls.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I dont agree with this based on the college basketball model. It leaves the possibility of a 6 win team getting in the playoff.
Was it 2012 when 2 teams ahead of us in the division had to bow out of the ACCCG and we kept the game against FSU close. We had a 6-7 record.
It would be better if no polls were released until the 3rd week in October. All teams would have a body of work and 4 loss $ec teams wouldn't be ranked just because they were ranked high in preseason polls.
So so agree with this. An 0-1 SEC team should not be in the top 12 just because they were ranked number five before they lost their opening game. Preseason rankings seem to effect the voters’ minds because teams with barely winning records hang around way too long in the rankings. Then they beat Slippery Rock and catapult back into the top 10. All because they were highly ranked before a single game was played.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So what? If you win your conference, you deserve to get in. If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve a chance at the National Championship. It's that simple. A 6 win conference team is going to be wiped out quickly by a top team. Don't care about that. Football is different than basketball. No way a 6-win team is going to knock off one of the top tier teams. Just isn't going to happen in Football.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe this whole college football season needs an asterisk. So many suspended games, covid delays, what ever team ends up the so called champion can't reallybelieve they are the best of college football. As far as Tech's season I'm some what disappointed , it's almost like it never happened. No real improvement, haphazard play , penalties etc: But, here's the one problem I'm concerned with, injuries, don't know why Tech has so many and with Hippa protocals Tech doesn't have to reveal reasons.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe this whole college football season needs an asterisk. So many suspended games, covid delays, what ever team ends up the so called champion can't reallybelieve they are the best of college football. As far as Tech's season I'm some what disappointed , it's almost like it never happened. No real improvement, haphazard play , penalties etc: But, here's the one problem I'm concerned with, injuries, don't know why Tech has so many and with Hippa protocals Tech doesn't have to reveal reasons.
Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame have shown this year that they're just as dominant as they are every year. If Lawrence and the defensive players play the first ND game, it might be different, but those three teams are head and shoulders above everyone they played, and they played the best teams in the country. Can't necessarily say that about Ohio State. They have no business being there.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So what? If you win your conference, you deserve to get in. 1. If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve a chance at the National Championship. It's that simple. A 6 win conference team is going to be wiped out quickly by a top team. Don't care about that. Football is different than basketball. 2. No way a 6-win team is going to knock off one of the top tier teams. Just isn't going to happen in Football.
1. Alabama beating LSU 21-0 in the National Championship game after LSU beat them 9-6 to prevent Alabama from playing in the $ec championship in 2010 says hello.

2. There are plenty of examples of upsets that make this comment null and void. Pitt beating Clemson a few years ago. USCe beating uga last year. etc etc

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. Alabama beating LSU 21-0 in the National Championship game after LSU beat them 9-6 to prevent Alabama from playing in the $ec championship in 2010 says hello.

2. There are plenty of examples of upsets that make this comment null and void. Pitt beating Clemson a few years ago. USCe beating uga last year. etc etc
Nope. Disagree. There are no examples of upsets that would allow a 6-win team actually play for the National Championship if we went to a Conference Winner only. Would NEVER happen. Show me 1 P5 Championship game where a 6-win team won and then went on to play for the National Championship. It has never happened, and never would. There's no such thing as a Cinderella in football.

What's your point about Alabama in 2010? Alabama should have never been allowed to play in the championship game. In my mind, they didn't deserve the opportunity to play for the championship once they lost. You can believe what you want, but this is my opinion.

Folks,
reading this thread just kind of tells me how long many of you have been around college football
Since I started going to games 1969, It has always been Alabama. They had a few down years with bad coaching but that even proves that give Alabama a great coach and they are unbeatable.
Clemson has been a strong team since 1980. Have they been as good as right now, no but they are on a roll with 2 of the best QBs in the nation. Think if Herschel Walker had gone to Clemson instead...He almost did...where do you think his new Trans Am came from.
FSU rose to power with Bobby Bowden, etc

There are those teams like us, NC State, Duke, UVA, Miss State, South Carolina, that are always the next rung down. I find it interesting that some of those teams don't get a great year some times and in fact we outperform many of those teams.
Ask your self why Auburn is not always right there with Alabama.

It is pointless to try to create some rule that will quote even the field. Is Tech going to increase it's majors to include Ag, Criminal studies etc....no. We will always be limited by that and the entry requirements. We will have those great years like 1990, 2009, 2014 when the stars align.

I have also read about the idea of creating a super conference with the Alabamas, UGAs and Clemsons of the world.....guess what, we aint in it. We drop to the next rung. I don't ever want to see the game become that.

As said, things change, Clemson will drop back again and other teams will rise. Right now I see UNC maybe becoming the team in the ACC for a while. Who would have guessed FSU would have gotten so bad.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Folks,
reading this thread just kind of tells me how long many of you have been around college football
Since I started going to games 1969, It has always been Alabama. They had a few down years with bad coaching but that even proves that give Alabama a great coach and they are unbeatable.
Clemson has been a strong team since 1980. Have they been as good as right now, no but they are on a roll with 2 of the best QBs in the nation. Think if Herschel Walker had gone to Clemson instead...He almost did...where do you think his new Trans Am came from.
FSU rose to power with Bobby Bowden, etc

There are those teams like us, NC State, Duke, UVA, Miss State, South Carolina, that are always the next rung down. I find it interesting that some of those teams don't get a great year some times and in fact we outperform many of those teams.
Ask your self why Auburn is not always right there with Alabama.

It is pointless to try to create some rule that will quote even the field. Is Tech going to increase it's majors to include Ag, Criminal studies etc....no. We will always be limited by that and the entry requirements. We will have those great years like 1990, 2009, 2014 when the stars align.

I have also read about the idea of creating a super conference with the Alabamas, UGAs and Clemsons of the world.....guess what, we aint in it. We drop to the next rung. I don't ever want to see the game become that.

As said, things change, Clemson will drop back again and other teams will rise. Right now I see UNC maybe becoming the team in the ACC for a while. Who would have guessed FSU would have gotten so bad.
I agree with this. Remember when USCw was absolutely dominating everything? Remember Texas? Nebraska? Washington? Oklahoma? Michigan? Those teams were absolutely dominant on the national scene for a stretch. It moves in cycles. No one (save someone like ND or Alabama) is going to potentially stay "always up." Even those two have had their stumbles (as noted).

Clemson will come back to earth at some point. Typically that happens with coaching changes, but not always. Alabama may stumble a little when Saban leaves.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
So long as we see progress with the team and the roster, I'm not looking directly at W-L. But if CGC starts losing the locker room in the process, we aren't getting there. Either way I think he's getting a long-term shot given the financials, but that's where my mind is personally.

I think talent-wise we will be in very good shape despite the schedule. Competing with Clemson, UGA, and ND will be a tall order and not likely winnable without their help in the process. We may be at a disadvantage with some others, but at least they are all winnable with better execution.

Therein lies the rub. We're still relying heavily on youth and players which haven't put it all together collectively. We can still end up losing games we'd win with average execution and still be making strides.

Jk8Fan

Georgia Tech Fan
When was this? When the refs were blatantly cheating us out of the Pitt game? After cheating us out of the NC State game and UCF game earlier in the year?
The UCF game was ridiculous. There were times when UCF would run a play to the sideline and run their sub in while the refs were desperately trying to throw the ball on the ground for the spot so UCF could quickly get a play off. Didn't allow for us to sub. Also, it was called once or twice, but there where multiple times where UCF players were not set or were moving prior to the snap. Several times UCF WR's were jostling for presnap position with each other when the ball was snapped. The refs were too busy frantically trying to spot the ball and get UCF to snap it that they didn't pay much mind to all the procedure penalties