Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we should be done. It is time for him to pull out a Gailey type year win 6-7 and go to a third rate bowl game. Then in 2022 time to be more like CPJ and actually be competitive, even when we lose but have a shot at 8-10 wins.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Seeing as our very talented (highest ranked since 2012) freshman class just averaged a 3.0 (deans list) that doesn’t seem to be a major problem.

Tech is hard for everyone, that’s why we “get out”
Average of 3.0 implies a lot of folks below 3.0 as well...

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think 7 wins is a good barometer for next year. We are still young at some spots, but we should be middle of the pack overall talent wise, so I would expect our record to reflect that.
I have given him two asterisk years but I think next year we can expect some results.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I think 5-6 wins will show he is still heading in the right direction. Tech should be a lot deeper at many more positions and hopefully will have a good off season and spring. That being said Clemson,ND,uga,UNC, and Miami will be heavy favorites leaving us with 7 winnable games- Go 5-2 or 6-1 in those and I would consider it a success.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep, I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 of those are ranked in the top 12 pre-season.
It is Coach Collins great misfortune to be on the Flats at a time of renewal for both UNC and Miami. Of course, some would say that is balanced by the decline, relatively speaking, of UVA and Virginia Tech. Could have been worse, I suppose. He could have been born decades earlier and tried to resurrect an abysmal Tech program circa 1980. Now that would have been a challenge for even his always positive persona.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, he needs to get 6 wins next year. But that said the schedule is very hard. ND, UGA, and Clemson. At UVA, UNC, Miami. Frankly, he better beat Kennesaw St or he might not make through next year.
With the possible exception of UVA, I do not see a win in any of those but surely we can beat Kennesaw State and four of the other five? With that schedule five wins would be more than acceptable. If he were to win seven, Coach Collins would be crowned the King of the 404.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we should be done. It is time for him to pull out a Gailey type year win 6-7 and go to a third rate bowl game. Then in 2022 time to be more like CPJ and actually be competitive, even when we lose but have a shot at 8-10 wins.

Dude. CPJ had several Gailey type seasons, as well, including the last one he was here. You don't always have to get your potshots in.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I live in Chapel Hill and several years ago when Crum was the coach a woman who taught art at UNC was telling us she had a couple of FB players in her class that literally couldn't read. I'm thinking to myself how on the world can GT compete with that. It's been a long time ago but has it really gotten that much better? BTW this would have been before AFAM classes. Maybe that was the reason they started them.

I believe that "fake" dept started about the early 90s and went on for 10+ yrs? What a travesty.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
With the possible exception of UVA, I do not see a win in any of those but surely we can beat Kennesaw State and four of the other five? With that schedule five wins would be more than acceptable. If he were to win seven, Coach Collins would be crowned the King of the 404.
Pretty sure we will only be favored in 3 games next season based on the schedule.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
Will still have fresh QB, fresh RB, fresh LT, very young team on both sides of the ball. Defense still very young and patch work. Lines need to gel together for awhile. Next year still too early , his 4th year the training wheels come off and its ride or die for me

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Will still have fresh QB, fresh RB, fresh LT, very young team on both sides of the ball. Defense still very young and patch work. Lines need to gel together for awhile. Next year still too early , his 4th year the training wheels come off and its ride or die for me
Really, we still gonna call those guys freshmen?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
2019 was Year 0 because we were going from the triple option, which all the players were recruited for, to our current offense and had a whole new playbook so you couldn't count that season against Collins.

2020 I would say should have been Year 1 for Collins, but to me THIS is the asterisks year because of COVID. We had no spring training and a messed up fall camp and season overall. I think everything considered going 3-7 (what should have been 6-4 but refs screwed us in 3 games and you can't tell me otherwise.) wasn't bad.

2021 is officially Collins first year for me. He has his guys, and this year didn't count as far as eligibility so a lot of guys got good experience for next year and learned the system. I fully expect us to win 5 games at least next year and if we don't I will be very disappointed.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Do any of our opponents in the official records get to claim an asterisk? If the coach decides to play, it’s an official game. And ... you go to war (or play a competitive sport) with the army (team) you have, not the army (team) you hope to have.

Next year, I expect to see Geoff getting very hot in his seat. Not that he’s worried ... but frustrated. Press conferences should be interesting.

As to athletes breaking down in class, I had a student recently and to be honest ... the quality of work wasn’t even ninth grade. All I could think was, “What is this individual doing in college?“ I really hope we are better than that .. and it’s not an issue of having capable recruits. Too many sad stories out there.
This is one of the more interesting things to watch next year. I hope we surprise everyone and are really competitive in most of our games, but we started to see some issues with how CGC handled stress and criticism. He could be in for some tough pressers next year as the excuses and the historic transformation talk are gone. It’s time to perform, and so far when someone questions the path or the results he doesn’t react all that well (nor is he particularly confidence inspiring- except to his players). I hope someone is “coaching” him on this before next season.