Time to break in a new uniform thread - 2022 edition

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I hate mustard but love W’s. If pink camo gets the guys fired up and brings us wins, I can get into that too. 😂

Just win.
For me it depends on the mustard. If it's just the plain yellow mustard or dijon then I'm not into that. Spicy brown mustard or horseradish mustard are my flavor preference... or am I thinking of something completely different.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I like that we’re wearing gold again. Not sure I’d buy the jersey tho. I do like the white with the metallic gold #’s. I kinda like the navy too. Might grab one of each when they’re released.

Yes I still year jerseys. Yes I’m 45. I’m a man. I do what I want! lol.

Also, I have last models white/home, white/away and navy jerseys in size L barely worn. One with tags I think I’d anyone’s interested?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm with @Gold1, aka Sand1, this thread has @supersize's name all over it.

Rest In Peace Fun GIF by Barstool Sports

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you Tech for actually listen to the fans and bringing back the classic look. But just like everything Tech does, they still can't seem to get it 100% correct. I get that this is nitpicky and I am really happy with the change, but it always seems like Tech will get so close to perfection then throw in weird things to make it not prefect. They were so close but here are a few things that still frustrate me about these new uniforms. And yes these are very nitpicky. I get it.

First is the shoulder stripe order. You can see that on the traditional navy jersey has the gold stripe is on the bottom and white on top. Same with the traditional gold uniform. Navy stripe on bottom and white on top. Why did they switch these? They were so close. At least they got the white jerseys correct with navy on bottom and gold on top. I do appreciate the return the white numbers on the navy jerseys. The gold numbers on the white jersey don't bother me to much, although traditionally we had navy numbers on the white jerseys. Gold numbers on white uniforms were only used from 1998 to 2002. White numbers on gold jerseys were only worn a few times from 1998 to 2002.

gt1.PNG
gt2.PNG

gt6.PNG

Second is the stipes on the gold pants. I get that from around 1992 until 2007 the stripe pattern was navy, thin white, gold, thin white, navy. Which was the same on the white pants since the 1980s. but traditionally since the 1950s the old pants stipes were just navy, white, navy. And I think that's just a cleaner look. I'm ok with the white pants being navy, thin white, gold, thin white, navy, but removing the thin white stripes within would be cleaner look. Also, the fact that the stripes do not go all the way down the pants is just some of the stupid things I'm talking about with Tech's execution of things. They can never seem to get it just right. I know someone earlier said that the Russell uniform template from 2016-2017 were just about perfect and I would have to agree.

gt3.PNG
gt5.PNG

Lastly is the uses of the two different golds. While the metallic gold does pop, it clashes with the mustered gold pants. I agree that the vegas gold from the Russell uniforms were to dull and I think the gold used on the pants from the 1950s until around 1991 is the correct shade of gold. Notre Dame's gold pants today are the correct shade we should be aiming for. It's every close to what we use to wear. Also, in 2018 our helmets wear changed to a lighter shade of gold. I think the helmets from 2016-2017 were the correct shade of gold. We do not need our helmets to match the mustered gold pants like they did in 2008. I think ditch the metallic and find a good middle ground between the golds of the helmet and the rest of the uniform like we did from the 1950s until 1991.

gt7.PNG

gt8.PNG
gt9.PNG

I know I'm going to get gripe about being nitpicky but my point is show that Tech can never really get anything 100% right. I know you can't always get everything 100% right all the time but when it comes to something as easy as this and you still can't execute it correctly; it's just sad. It isn't that hard to do a quick google search to see what Tech wore traditionally and then replicate it.

Overall I am happy with the focus on tradition, I'm just upset with the execution. Lets just hope they standardize when they wear which uniform. If it were up to me we would were GWG for home and away games. GGW for homecoming and against UGA at home. WWW or GWW for one whiteout game. and GBW for one special home game. Keep it simple so that the players aren't focused on which uniform they are going to where that week so they can be focused on the game. The fans will know what to expect. No more gimmicky weekly uniform reveals. The top teams in the country don't do any of that. They keep it simple so that they can focus of the game.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Tech for actually listen to the fans and bringing back the classic look. But just like everything Tech does, they still can't seem to get it 100% correct. I get that this is nitpicky and I am really happy with the change, but it always seems like Tech will get so close to perfection then throw in weird things to make it not prefect. They were so close but here are a few things that still frustrate me about these new uniforms. And yes these are very nitpicky. I get it.

First is the shoulder stripe order. You can see that on the traditional navy jersey has the gold stripe is on the bottom and white on top. Same with the traditional gold uniform. Navy stripe on bottom and white on top. Why did they switch these? They were so close. At least they got the white jerseys correct with navy on bottom and gold on top. I do appreciate the return the white numbers on the navy jerseys. The gold numbers on the white jersey don't bother me to much, although traditionally we had navy numbers on the white jerseys. Gold numbers on white uniforms were only used from 1998 to 2002. White numbers on gold jerseys were only worn a few times from 1998 to 2002.

View attachment 12709View attachment 12710
View attachment 12712

Second is the stipes on the gold pants. I get that from around 1992 until 2007 the stripe pattern was navy, thin white, gold, thin white, navy. Which was the same on the white pants since the 1980s. but traditionally since the 1950s the old pants stipes were just navy, white, navy. And I think that's just a cleaner look. I'm ok with the white pants being navy, thin white, gold, thin white, navy, but removing the thin white stripes within would be cleaner look. Also, the fact that the stripes do not go all the way down the pants is just some of the stupid things I'm talking about with Tech's execution of things. They can never seem to get it just right. I know someone earlier said that the Russell uniform template from 2016-2017 were just about perfect and I would have to agree.

View attachment 12711View attachment 12713

Lastly is the uses of the two different golds. While the metallic gold does pop, it clashes with the mustered gold pants. I agree that the vegas gold from the Russell uniforms were to dull and I think the gold used on the pants from the 1950s until around 1991 is the correct shade of gold. Notre Dame's gold pants today are the correct shade we should be aiming for. It's every close to what we use to wear. Also, in 2018 our helmets wear changed to a lighter shade of gold. I think the helmets from 2016-2017 were the correct shade of gold. We do not need our helmets to match the mustered gold pants like they did in 2008. I think ditch the metallic and find a good middle ground between the golds of the helmet and the rest of the uniform like we did from the 1950s until 1991.

View attachment 12714
View attachment 12715View attachment 12716

I know I'm going to get gripe about being nitpicky but my point is show that Tech can never really get anything 100% right. I know you can't always get everything 100% right all the time but when it comes to something as easy as this and you still can't execute it correctly; it's just sad. It isn't that hard to do a quick google search to see what Tech wore traditionally and then replicate it.

Overall I am happy with the focus on tradition, I'm just upset with the execution. Lets just hope they standardize when they wear which uniform. If it were up to me we would were GWG for home and away games. GGW for homecoming and against UGA at home. WWW or GWW for one whiteout game. and GBW for one special home game. Keep it simple so that the players aren't focused on which uniform they are going to where that week so they can be focused on the game. The fans will know what to expect. No more gimmicky weekly uniform reveals. The top teams in the country don't do any of that. They keep it simple so that they can focus of the game.

Amen! How the GTAA can continue to screw up the simple things is amazing. Do they not care? Are they just that unconcerned? We had one of the classic uniforms in college football and have generally screwed it up for the past 20 years. I'm generally happy with the new uniforms, but the numbers on the white jerseys should be blue and the stripes on the sleeves and pants should be corrected. The metallic gold just doesn't really look good at all, either in the numbers or in the pants.

Yes, small concerns, but when we've won 9 games in three years, it would be nice to at least get some small moral victories, like getting our classic uniforms back.

JacketFan137

Banned
jerseys can change people. these look great and better than we’ve seen in decades after the rough slog that was the russel years. it doesn’t have to be a 1:1 replica of the original to be a great uni

i think if tech came out and said the sky is blue some of y’all would find a way to complain

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the new uniforms, they look great. I’m not very good opinion as I have liked every uniform Tech comes out with.

Big uniform guy, I always watch games and focus the uniforms teams are wearing,
Love pregame run onto the field seeing teams look sharpe. Likethe team’s that stick with traditional look, Bama, Penn St. Also like the new stuff, Oregon, Miami. Doesn’t matter as long as they look good.

If two games are on with teams I don’t care about I’ll pick game on broadcaster 1st, if they are both on ESPN networks, I go by uniforms.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Idea time:

Home games - ALWAYS traditional whites and stripes.

Away games - break out the color combos and special crazy designs (1-2 times a year).

I get the traditionalist. There's something to be said about a signature uniform (see: Penn State/'Bama/Michigan/USC etc.), but there's also something to be said about creating a buzz on social media (see: Oregon) every game because newer fans want to see cutting edge design and aesthetics.

Last edited:

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
I get the traditionalist. There's something to be said about a signature uniform (see: Penn State/'Bama/Michigan/USC etc.), but there's also something to be said about creating a buzz on social media (see: Oregon) every game because newer fans want to see cutting edge design and aesthetics.
Newer fans want to see a team that wins. You need to keep current fans happy with keeping with tradition while winning and bring in new fans by winning. If you make everything new and cutting edge you will drive out the older donor fans. You can still make improvements while still keeping tradition. Buzz on social media means nothing if your team isn't winning. Tech having 3 losing season has driven away the traditional life long fan like myself. Making these changes to go back to a more traditionally look will hopefully bring some of us back.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
You need to keep current fans happy with keeping with tradition while winning and bring in new fans by winning. Making these changes to go back to a more traditionally look will hopefully bring some of us back.
Wait, so are you saying that some of “us” left because of the new look, losing, or both? And are you saying that to “bring some of us back”, we’d need to win while wearing a traditional uniform?

So if we won wearing honeycomb it wouldn’t bring the old fans back? But if we lost while wearing our 80s uniforms it would bring the old fans back? Or is it that we must win while wearing traditional uniforms to gain back the interest of our own fans? Lot going on in your post, hard for me to understand.

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait, so are you saying that some of “us” left because of the new look, losing, or both? And are you saying that to “bring some of us back”, we’d need to win while wearing a traditional uniform?

So if we won wearing honeycomb it wouldn’t bring the old fans back? But if we lost while wearing our 80s uniforms it would bring the old fans back? Or is it that we must win while wearing traditional uniforms to gain back the interest of our own fans? Lot going on in your post, hard for me to understand.
I'm saying that since we are not winning right now, bringing back traditionally uniforms may bring some old fans that have lost interest because we are losing. I am one of those fans who has lost interest in the team because its not the team I grew up loving. I grew to love the tradition that Tech had. When CPJ came in they started changing the Tech traditional look (even thought they did bring back home whites) but since they were winning and beating Georgia every once in a while I could ignore my complaints about the uniforms. But now that we are losing, Tech has no identity to fall back on. Bringing back these traditional looks helps with that. If I have to watch them lose, I'd rather watch them lose in style.

That being said my overall love of the game of college football is dwindling due to the dramatic changes in the college football landscape. With ugaly winning a natty, NIL out of control, conference realignment; the game isn't the game I grew up loving. You have a handful of teams that can really compete for anything and it all revolves around money. The sport I grew up loving is dying so anything that can be brought back to make me love it again I'm all for.