Time for some MidLine Action

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
OH, I had my coffee and a bagel ready (note pacific time here) at my desk sitting comfortably so I can view your fine video on the mid-line only to find the message above (In case my workplace is monitoring this..... I am viewing this during my "work break"... yaaa.....).

Such a tease!!!!!! :grumpy:

P.S. Thanks for the videos! Greatly appreciate it! :)

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
At work also so only watched a bit of it...the attempted ankle/leg roll looks very blatant is slow-mo to my unprofessional eyes. Hope others will provide thoughts on it.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad we've gotten back to running the midline. IMO this is right in Bylery's wheelhouse, since he can turn a 2-4 yd gain into a 5-7 yd gain by pushing through defenders. I'm not sure if I can see Justin running this play consistently - it's just too hard to avoid big hits running right up the middle like that.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
FWIW, the play you pointed out 6 in the box is still their base defense, except we have 1 slot back split out wide in a trips formation, so they've taken 1 of the OLB's and put him on the split out A-Back, thus going from 7 to 6 in the box (still with 2 CB's and 2 safeties).

The next play (last one), when the Duke player is late, we're in trips again, but they have 7 in the box (not 8), and they only have a single safety (an error I'd bet, as I doubt Duke wanted to go Cover 1 late in the game with a big lead).

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Midline is beautiful when it works. It also keeps the OLB and S looking in and not rushing to the outside so quickly, so if we can mix it into our balance of plays it might make those defenders just a step slower....which means success for us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It surprised me how many times JT got caught against Duke when he looked like he should be breaking these runs for a TD. He never seemed to be able to put it into that 5th gear.

Beevis

Georgia Tech Fan
It surprised me how many times JT got caught against Duke when he looked like he should be breaking these runs for a TD. He never seemed to be able to put it into that 5th gear.

I've seen several times, not just in the Duke game, where JT had nothing but green in front of him and didn't take it to the house. I had expected that when I saw those situations appear, that like Dwyer, you could strike up the band, but for whatever reason that hasn't happened.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've seen several times, not just in the Duke game, where JT had nothing but green in front of him and didn't take it to the house. I had expected that when I saw those situations appear, that like Dwyer, you could strike up the band, but for whatever reason that hasn't happened.
Well, if you watch the angles the defenders were taking against him you would understand. Obviously, the opponents are coached during the week and warned about his speed. Rarely do we see guys taking too shallow of an angle. Also, most are saving a spy for him in contain mode. He isn't superman, though. Speed has not been a problem for him so far IMHO. He breaks into the clear much faster than any QB we have had yet and it isn't close. I'm not sure what 5th gear we are all looking for. Still, if I was forced to categorize him as either quick or fast, I would have to say quick, so I get your point in that sense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well, if you watch the angles the defenders were taking against him you would understand. Obviously, the opponents are coached during the week and warned about his speed. Rarely do we see guys taking too shallow of an angle. Also, most are saving a spy for him in contain mode. He isn't superman, though. Speed has not been a problem for him so far IMHO. He breaks into the clear much faster than any QB we have had yet and it isn't close. I'm not sure what 5th gear we are all looking for. Still, if I was forced to categorize him as either quick or fast, I would have to say quick, so I get your point in that sense.
This is what I was referring to. He’s definitely quick which I would take over the top speed fast any day. I just had the perception he had a little more top end speed than what he has shown. Not complaining as much as just an observation.

BTW, I see you’re a staff member now!

EDIT: Just in case you were always a staff member, I'm sorry I never noticed and I feel really dumb.

Beevis

Georgia Tech Fan

Yes, the opponents are definitely respecting his speed, but I think the same could be said of Dwyer and he made those angles disappear.

My expectations are probably too high, but they were formed by all of the pre-billing of what a burner he was.

Certainly he is the quickest/fastest QB we have seen in this offense and would agree that based on what I've seen, he is more quick than fast.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the opponents are definitely respecting his speed, but I think the same could be said of Dwyer and he made those angles disappear.

My expectations are probably too high, but they were formed by all of the pre-billing of what a burner he was.

Certainly he is the quickest/fastest QB we have seen in this offense and would agree that based on what I've seen, he is more quick than fast.
Could this be a by product of him being the starter now? I've heard others mention how it seemed Vad lost a step once he became the starter. Maybe the physical strains of running the offense full time slow the qb down a bit. That and having defenders trying to break their ankles can't help.