Time for a coaching Change

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One reason that a lot of our fan base has so many knee jerks is that the TO is great to watch when it works, but terribly boring when it doesn’t. As a VT fan told me in the pissery after the game, “that was the worst high school FB game I have seen all year”. Whether we like it or not, FBS college football has become an entertainment business, thanks to the NCAA and ESPN. I am not saying we should fire PJ, or keep him, but we should not be satisfied with present results. And opinions should not be based on 1 or 2 years. Looking at the last 4 years for both Gailey and PJ (not counting bowl games), Chan’s won/lost record was 61.7%, while PJ’s will be 56.0% if we win the last 2 games this year. If we lose both of them, it will be 52%. I don’t know exactly what, but something needs to change and the head coach should definitely not be exempt from a realistic review of where we are at and where we are headed.
BTW, Dodd was 72.1% overall.
Could that be part of the Tech problem? The fan base can't get past a legend 50 years gone?

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Even if you ignore the financial issues it would be idiotic to fire CPJ after this year when you look at the other jobs available and the head start they have in finding new coaches. You could argue that we would be the sixth or seventh best job available this offseason. Hardly a destination for a great candidate.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Where have I been with all this going on? We either have a couple of the smartest guys in the room holding forth, or at the very least we have a drama-filled dialogue unfolding. Ima pop some popcorn and enjoy the show. ;) Go ahead, guys. We may be about to get this thing figured out.

Or, I'll use my time more constructively. Yeah. One of those two.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Any chance you know a location we can compare different schools? It would be interesting to me to check out other schools standards on this. How we fare compared to the rest of the ACC and how we compare to the SEC and BIG10.

Unfortunately, the exact numbers for SAs aren't generally available. The NCAA's standards are easy to find if you Google "NCAA high school sliding scale". The numbers I quoted are actually the new "strict" standards going into effect for next year's class. As far as I know, few schools require anything more than the NCAA minimum for SAs in revenue sports. Any time you hear a commentator talk about "high academic standards" at all, that's more or less what they mean.

Dodd was a great coach. One of the best to walk the sidelines. He was primarily successful when players played both ways. Recruiting competitively became much more difficult for Tech in the modern, two platoon, era.

He also had the vast majority of his success before racial integration. To even pretend he was working in the modern environment is lunacy.