Tim Byerly...

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Waller had a great matchup on his corner all day. We tend to only look right when throwing Byerly changed that up. Waller usually has a great matchup definitely need to go there more often.
Pretty much this.

I like Smelter a lot, but we really seem to key on him. Spread it around, especially when you have a good physical matchup with Waller.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed on waller. I love smelter as much as the next guy but we can't always key in on him. Waller is a Kelvin Benjamin-lite. Yesterday he showed he will go up and make a play 1on1. We need to exploit the mismatch his height and skill set brings.

bcbeck22

Georgia Tech Fan
I honestly think if CPJ would have made the change at QB earlier, it could have made a difference. Watching JT walk gengerly back to the hudle or slowly to the sideline, He wasn't 100 % and we all new it. If your not 100% then your not going to make the correct reads because your thinking of other things, (don't hurt my ankle again). TB can play the position and play it very well, if either QB shows signs of fatigue or injury, get them outta there and put the fresh legs in who can make the reads and run the offense. If Byerly was in when JT through the INT, would there have even been an INT, probably not. But its hard to say coulda woulda shoulda.
I want a QB who has enthusiasm, who WANTS it, who will drive through somebody to get that extra yard. On Saturday that QB was TB.

Also, Johnson said after the game that he asked JT if he wanted to keep going, of course he's gonna say yes. But as the coach, you have to make the hard decisions, and one of those is to take a struggling QB out of the game because he needs to, even if he doesn't want to!!!!! Be a Coach and do want a Coach needs to do.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly think if CPJ would have made the change at QB earlier, it could have made a difference. Watching JT walk gengerly back to the hudle or slowly to the sideline, He wasn't 100 % and we all new it. If your not 100% then your not going to make the correct reads because your thinking of other things, (don't hurt my ankle again). TB can play the position and play it very well, if either QB shows signs of fatigue or injury, get them outta there and put the fresh legs in who can make the reads and run the offense. If Byerly was in when JT through the INT, would there have even been an INT, probably not. But its hard to say coulda woulda shoulda.
I want a QB who has enthusiasm, who WANTS it, who will drive through somebody to get that extra yard. On Saturday that QB was TB.

Also, Johnson said after the game that he asked JT if he wanted to keep going, of course he's gonna say yes. But as the coach, you have to make the hard decisions, and one of those is to take a struggling QB out of the game because he needs to, even if he doesn't want to!!!!! Be a Coach and do want a Coach needs to do.

As you say, this is easy to suggest after the fact. I agree that putting Byerly in earlier could have made a difference, but even with a gimp ankle, JT still had enthusiasm, and still WANTED it. On that last interception, he made another incredible escape to avoid a sack, only to throw a poor ball into traffic. We have all seen his skills, and we have all been impressed with his composure and desire to win--there is no questioning that. The thing I am excited about is finally seeing what Byerly could do in game time and realizing that we have not one, but TWO excellent QBs who step up their game when it is needed the most.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to get better at passing if we are going to continue to pass. CPJ called passing plays in the red zone. These misses really changed what we had to do next and resulted in field goals. Sub 50% passing is really going to make games difficult to win when you pass >15 times a game.

Byerly would make a great 10 to 15 yard red zone QB and I believe he is slightly better at passing. This is based on more than just one game. This is also not a QB controversy as I love both QB's. I just want to use the advantages of both.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
As you say, this is easy to suggest after the fact. I agree that putting Byerly in earlier could have made a difference, but even with a gimp ankle, JT still had enthusiasm, and still WANTED it. On that last interception, he made another incredible escape to avoid a sack, only to throw a poor ball into traffic. We have all seen his skills, and we have all been impressed with his composure and desire to win--there is no questioning that. The thing I am excited about is finally seeing what Byerly could do in game time and realizing that we have not one, but TWO excellent QBs who step up their game when it is needed the most.
The bolded above is one area we should expect improvement; a more experienced QB would have thrown the ball away.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The bolded above is one area we should expect improvement; a more experienced QB would have thrown the ball away.

I was at the game and thought the same thing. However, in a post game interview JT said he was trying to throw it out of bounds but he got hit as he released it and it did not go where he aimed it.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and thought the same thing. However, in a post game interview JT said he was trying to throw it out of bounds but he got hit as he released it and it did not go where he aimed it.

Dang, that kid learns fast!! ;)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Byerly played very well. He filled his role and did his job. He was definitely one of the highlights of a day that featured a lot of negatives like penalties. turnovers, poor offense and at times poor defense. We just can not make that many mistakes and expect to beat any body.

Go Jackets!
Liked the way he throws the Rock Jerry..........kid can run this option and not the big gainer JT is.......he can put a lick on a backer of db....glad we have him.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The one problem with running a "two-QB system" is that you run the risk of D players purposefully rolling up both their ankles, and then what are you left with?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The one problem with running a "two-QB system" is that you run the risk of D players purposefully rolling up both their ankles, and then what are you left with?
I still don't like a two man system, especially when your main guy is just developing and needs every rep he can get to realize his full potential. Also, he needs to learn to have a short memory and work through mistakes. If a guy is hurt, that's a totally different story.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah I should've said "One of..." and not "The one" when describing problems with a two-QB system. I think they also deny QB's the opportunity to get comfortable.