THWG: Ugag Game Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The Jackets host Georgia on Tuesday evening. The DWags actually have a coach this season in former Florida HC Mike White. Expect them to play slow as White hasn't had a team rank within the top 160 in tempo since 2016-17 which was the main culprit in his falling out with Florida fans.

This season, UGAg ranks 277th (KP) in tempo and 167th (KP) in adjusted offensive efficiency. They are 341st (Kenpom) in the nation in turnover percentage but also top ten in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage. Despite all of those offensive rebounds they are just 140th in the nation in second chance conversion rate (Haslametrics), which is mostly due to their 55% conversion rate on near proximity field goal attempts (Haslametrics). They rank 220th in the nation in three-point shooting percentage (Kenpom) overall and 316th in the nation "against the average opponent" (Haslametrics).

On defense they are predictably...decent. They rank top 50 in opponents effective field goal percentage which is a direct correlation to them holding opponents around 27% from deep. They are giving up just 61 points per game on defense but have played seven of their nine games against teams currently ranking 225th or lower in KenPom.

The Jackets will likely be a 1.5-2.5 point favorite at home. Once again, as much as I rail against CJP, the dude is a great coach to bet with. Tech is the best team in the ACC against the spread at 5-2 this season but is outperforming the number by just +0.1 points per game so the margin is razor thin. Since taking over in 2016, Tech is 33-24 ATS as the home favorite which is second best in the league. The Jackets are the best team in the league overall ATS since 2016 as the home team. They are 45-12 SU as a home court favorite under CJP.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'll take the SU and ATS for a handful of Dad's money.

All In Crypto GIF

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Great stats peacone. All that razor thin margin jargon makes it sound like the gold and white could benefit from a strong home court advantage. Let’s hope lots of the yellow jacket faithful turnout in the interest of clean old fashioned hate. I’ll be there.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Jackets host Georgia on Tuesday evening. The DWags actually have a coach this season in former Florida HC Mike White. Expect them to play slow as White hasn't had a team rank within the top 160 in tempo since 2016-17 which was the main culprit in his falling out with Florida fans.

This season, UGAg ranks 277th (KP) in tempo and 167th (KP) in adjusted offensive efficiency. They are 341st (Kenpom) in the nation in turnover percentage but also top ten in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage. Despite all of those offensive rebounds they are just 140th in the nation in second chance conversion rate (Haslametrics), which is mostly due to their 55% conversion rate on near proximity field goal attempts (Haslametrics). They rank 220th in the nation in three-point shooting percentage (Kenpom) overall and 316th in the nation "against the average opponent" (Haslametrics).

On defense they are predictably...decent. They rank top 50 in opponents effective field goal percentage which is a direct correlation to them holding opponents around 27% from deep. They are giving up just 61 points per game on defense but have played seven of their nine games against teams currently ranking 225th or lower in KenPom.

The Jackets will likely be a 1.5-2.5 point favorite at home. Once again, as much as I rail against CJP, the dude is a great coach to bet with. Tech is the best team in the ACC against the spread at 5-2 this season but is outperforming the number by just +0.1 points per game so the margin is razor thin. Since taking over in 2016, Tech is 33-24 ATS as the home favorite which is second best in the league. The Jackets are the best team in the league overall ATS since 2016 as the home team. They are 45-12 SU as a home court favorite under CJP.

So it's going to come down to who wants to win more? Fairly evenly matched .......

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So it's going to come down to who wants to win more? Fairly evenly matched .......

Honestly one of the biggest challenges I’ve had writing previews this season is familiarizing myself with the new rosters. Almost every team in the nation has experienced so much turnover it’s crazy.

In regards to UGA, I don’t know ANY of these guys outside of JAR, Holt and Ingram and that’s only because we recruited them when they were prep guys. Those three aren’t exactly big time players for White so I’m not really sure what to expect.

If I were placing a bet on this game (I’m not, it’s a stay away for me) I’d take GT to cover at home.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Interest in this thread is dead. I hope it’s not foreshadowing the support in the building tonight or the jackets play on the court.

WHATS THE GOOD WORD?!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Interest in this thread is dead. I hope it’s not foreshadowing the support in the building tonight or the jackets play on the court.

WHATS THE GOOD WORD?!
Unfortunately it probably will be. 4,500-5,000 there, and about 50% will be dressed in red and barking. Here’s to hoping Josh can beat the dwags on our home court for the first time in 3 tries tonight.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Always nice to beat the Dwags. But holy hell that game was brutal to watch. We are not a good basketball team, luckily they’re even worse.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looking back at my notes, I am not happy with our shooting and uga outrebounded us. Tough, scrappy game that will help us in March.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is pretty bad. We need to find a way to get some stops.

On offense - we should put the ball in Kelly’s hands like we did with Marcus Georges Hunt. Force him to engage in the game and stay engaged.

/