THWG: Ugag Game Thread

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I’d like to see is Deivon control the throttle a bit better. It’s great that he’s fast, he can be a home run hitter and that’s great but just because you’re a race car, doesn’t mean you always have to run in the red. He needs to learn to be fast when it puts us in a position to benefit from that speed, and not get himself into trouble.

That lob in the first half that Giannis couldn’t have come down with is a decent example. Just playing too dang fast.

Two quote Dennis Hopper from True Romance, “slow it down, man!”
I agree 1000%. He has so much natural athleticism, but he doesn’t seem to understand pace all the time. You’re right on when you say he is full throttle all the time. I definitely think he has improved his game from last year, but that is one area to work on.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't get trying to slow down Deivon Smith at all. That is his competitive advantage. He has 32 assists to 14 turnovers in 9 games (Sturdivant has 13 turnovers in way fewer minutes). The team has problems but turnovers is not one of them and playing too fast is not one of them. If anything, the team suffers from stagnation on the offensive end.

Turn it loose, Deivon, Turn it loose.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't get trying to slow down Deivon Smith at all. That is his competitive advantage. He has 32 assists to 14 turnovers in 9 games (Sturdivant has 13 turnovers in way fewer minutes). The team has problems but turnovers is not one of them and playing too fast is not one of them. If anything, the team suffers from stagnation on the offensive end.

I’ve been surprised by the flip in turnover control between the 2 PGs this year. But it’s not actually a terrible thing (except for Sturdy’s playing time) - we sort of took the best traits from Deivon and Sturdy and merged them into a very solid ACC PG in Deivon. His rebounding as a 6’1 guard is a joy to watch.

Height comparison aside, nobody compares to Jose but you see some Jose traits in him for sure.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I agree that it’s his gift and it makes him dangerous, im just saying not every situation requires it

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Just rewatched the game.

I am completely baffled about what constitutes a foul. Especially in the first half, it’s like the refs looked over and realized they hadn’t called many fouls on GT yet, so they just decided the next 4-5 shots were going to result in a foul regardless of what happened. Also, mini rant - I HATE seeing fouls called on defenders who are standing still, arms straight up, the “shooter” just jumps into them and throws up a brick, and gets to shoot two at the line. What the heck IS that? It makes no sense.

Idk why Ugag ever switched out of the zone. There were a handful of times that guys moved and made cuts, but 90% of our offense was swing the ball back and forth around the outside and take a lame 3, or try to drive past 3 defenders and finish without passing. I’ve watched pickup games at the Y with more offensive complexity.

It looked to me like the majority of our points came from having athletic dudes drive to the basket in transition.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been surprised by the flip in turnover control between the 2 PGs this year. But it’s not actually a terrible thing (except for Sturdy’s playing time) - we sort of took the best traits from Deivon and Sturdy and merged them into a very solid ACC PG in Deivon. His rebounding as a 6’1 guard is a joy to watch.

Height comparison aside, nobody compares to Jose but you see some Jose traits in him for sure.
The man made the DEF play of game with that steal.THAT is what fast aggressive guys do.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
The man made the DEF play of game with that steal.THAT is what fast aggressive guys do.
On that offensive charge he drew at the end of the game; did you see the quick step in took to get in front of the dribbler just as he started his cut to the basket?