Thoughts on Syracuse

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the highlights vs Ohio, might watch the full game tonight. Here's my initial thoughts:

Good:
McCord can sling it. Made some impressive long throws.
Receivers look talented, but their speed is hard to judge against Ohio.

OK
Oline - Ok, gave up 1 sac. Looks like they are a decent group, but nothing special.
Dline - Can hold the point of attack, again, nothing special. Had 4 sacks, but mostly coverage sacs and poor pocket presence from the Ohio QB. Ohio couldn't get much push, but I think we can. Speed on outside runs was a problem. Didn't see anything amazing on their pass rush, but Ohio left tackle got exposed a few times.

Bad
Front 7 speed - got left in the dust a few times
Secondary Tackling - missed a lot of tackles

Unknown
Secondary coverage abilities

Bottom line:
Offense
I think we can score against this group, screens and outside runs look very appealing. I'm not sure about passing, didn't see their secondary, but also likely. Inside runs I'm not confident on, but it's possible if our Oline can get push.
Defense
Edge rushers and secondary will win or lose this game for us. If we can't cover for 2-3 seconds or get pressure on slow developing plays, it's going to be tough.

long7135

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed on McCord here. He's a pocket passer. Give him enough time and he will make you pay. Get him out of the pocket and he is vulnerable as he is slower than Christmas.

In week 1, Syracuse lost their best defensive player (LB Marlowe Wax) to injury. His replacement(s) are not nearly as good nor experienced.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The most interesting thing about this game from a Vegas perspective, was that the total line opened at 54.5, it is now at 61.5. A full TD increase since open is VERY rare. Seems like this game will be very high scoring. 2 good offenses and 2 unproven defenses. Should be a fun one to watch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The most interesting thing about this game from a Vegas perspective, was that the total line opened at 54.5, it is now at 61.5. A full TD increase since open is VERY rare. Seems like this game will be very high scoring. 2 good offenses and 2 unproven defenses. Should be a fun one to watch.
If we can run the ball on Syracuse, and that is a popular belief, then it will obviously consume more time and shorten the game. That makes it seem like the Vegas line is a little high. Not saying Vegas is wrong, just saying they are counting on a game in which both teams air it out a lot.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
If we can run the ball on Syracuse, and that is a popular belief, then it will obviously consume more time and shorten the game. That makes it seem like the Vegas line is a little high. Not saying Vegas is wrong, just saying they are counting on a game in which both teams air it out a lot.
That plan can end real quick if we go down a score or 2.

slugboy

Staff member
That plan can end real quick if we go down a score or 2.
If you have 90 seconds to score, I agree. Otherwise, go with what moves the ball.

Here’s an example: For FSU, they couldn’t complete a phone call on Monday, much less a 10 yard pass. Maybe they couldn’t run the ball either, but we’ll never know because they never tried. Their game could have been competitive if they’d done anything on offense.

Their defense being ineffective was also a problem—almost a bigger one. Still, do what works

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't surprise me to see Cuse sell out to stop our run game. HK needs to be sharp and not turn the ball over and we need to create a few turnovers. McCord is probably as good as Carson Beck but does not as great of supporting cast.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
It wouldn't surprise me to see Cuse sell out to stop our run game. HK needs to be sharp and not turn the ball over and we need to create a few turnovers. McCord is probably as good as Carson Beck but does not as great of supporting cast.
Honestly, from what i saw, that would result in a bubble screen touchdown. Their secondary couldn’t catch a 225lb rb.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I watched the highlights vs Ohio, might watch the full game tonight. Here's my initial thoughts:

Good:

OK
Oline - Ok, gave up 1 sac. Looks like they are a decent group, but nothing special.
Dline - Can hold the point of attack, again, nothing special. Had 4 sacks, but mostly coverage sacs and poor pocket presence from the Ohio QB. Ohio couldn't get much push, but I think we can. Speed on outside runs was a problem. Didn't see anything amazing on their pass rush, but Ohio left tackle got exposed a few times.

Bad

Unknown

Bottom line:
Offense
I think we can score against this group, screens and outside runs look very appealing. I'm not sure about passing, didn't see their secondary, but also likely. Inside runs I'm not confident on, but it's possible if our Oline can get push.
Defense
Edge rushers and secondary will win or lose this game for us. If we can't cover for 2-3 seconds or get pressure on slow developing plays, it's going to be tough.
Good Summary! The Syracuse receivers made some superb catches on balls put into very tight windows against Ohio. Our defense will be challenged!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe they just don’t think they can stop the run… at all?
With the new clock rules, there isn’t a lot of difference between 10 yard runs and 10 yard passes in terms of game clock.

I hope we don’t give up a ton of points though… I’m getting kind of excited about the prospect of defense.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

They're probably just counting on us racking up 30-40 yards, so it goes quickly.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m starting to get the feeling that, outside of diehard Tech fans, a major portion of people think we will lose this game.

Could be.

But seeing what the next part of our offense is that gets revealed is a little like being a kid waiting for Christmas morning.
who? I love being the underdogs anyway, but nothing really scares me about Syracuse. Mobile QBs are my big worry at the moment.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Good:

OK

Bad

Unknown

Bottom line:
Offense
Defense
Pretty much my observations from watching the first half of the whole Syracuse-Ohio game. McCord is very accurate given time. He is not a runner but not a statue either. Number 19, a tight end is the one to watch as he is big, fast, and can break tackles. Ohio lost this game by kicking three field goals in the first half. Tech must finish drives for touchdowns. We will not beat this team by kicking field goals. Ohio had a 225lb back that would get them in scoring positions by running and catching the ball and breaking who knows how many tackles in the secondary. Then, in scoring position, they stay in the shot gun and the 225lb back disappears. Have these coaches with a power back like that ever thought about using a full back or H back tight end type to block and have the quarterback go under center? That guy would have put the ball in the end zone with one blocker and being closer to the line of scrimmage.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
who? I love being the underdogs anyway, but nothing really scares me about Syracuse. Mobile QBs are my big worry at the moment.
Give McCord time and have him hit number 19 in full stride and you will have plenty to be scared about. DJ was a mobile quarterback of sorts but I would much rather have McCord. That guy puts the ball right on the money IF he has time to see the field. They would run short crossing patterns in the middle and have a back out in the flats as a third option but this guy will go for the jugular with deep passes at the drop of a hat. He is not afraid to let it rip.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
If we play the same Syracuse defense that was fielded Saturday, I don’t see how we don’t get 500 yards of offense.

The linebackers have weights in their cleats, and overall look lost.

Look at the very first play in this video.

If those were GT linebackers, the doom on this board would be G**** C***** level.

This being said, the game rests on our DB’s. Cuse wideouts are tall and talented, and McCord puts it right on them.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
We've seen our secondary with Brooks and Powel-Lee come up in run support so far this season. I think this upcoming game our secondary will have to step up and be excellent in coverage. They'll be tested against a good passing qb that they haven't seen yet.

Excited for the challenge. One game at a time. Don't look in the rearview mirror at all the wreckage that is the ACC so far *cough FLORIDA STATE cough*

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to get the feeling that, outside of diehard Tech fans, a major portion of people think we will lose this game.

Could be.

But seeing what the next part of our offense is that gets revealed is a little like being a kid waiting for Christmas morning.
The line still favors GT and ESPN’s analytics prediction in the ESPN app is still 62% GT. GT is ranked, Cuse isn’t.

Not a foregone conclusion but there are a lot of neutral things pointing GT. I don’t think a majority thinks otherwise

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
If we play the same Syracuse defense that was fielded Saturday, I don’t see how we don’t get 500 yards of offense.

The linebackers have weights in their cleats, and overall look lost.

Look at the very first play in this video.

If those were GT linebackers, the doom on this board would be G**** C***** level.

This being said, the game rests on our DB’s. Cuse wideouts are tall and talented, and McCord puts it right on them.

They look extremely susceptible to the counter on tape.