Thoughts? Could Collins turn the program around faster than expected?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude will have this year to show some improvement. He didn’t have much to work with last year, but I’m still not convinced he’s such a good offensive mind. We’ll see. I like to think Collins knows he’ll need to replace him if need be

You would have said the same thing about Friedgen in 1988.

Anyone who knows the Curry culture vs the Ross culture will have some understanding of the cultural change the program is undergoing from Johnson to Collins. Yes, the cultures are different but the magnitude of the change was a large one in both cases.

One similarity is going from a run heavy based offense to a multiple offense. Friedgen couldn't do that in one year either. It took 2 1/2 years for the offense to start clicking, and he probably inherited personnel more suited to his offense than Patenaude did.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You would have said the same thing about Friedgen in 1988.

Anyone who knows the Curry culture vs the Ross culture will have some understanding of the cultural change the program is undergoing from Johnson to Collins. Yes, the cultures are different but the magnitude of the change was a large one in both cases.

One similarity is going from a run heavy based offense to a multiple offense. Friedgen couldn't do that in one year either. It took 2 1/2 years for the offense to start clicking, and he probably inherited personnel more suited to his offense than Patenaude did.
Yeah you’re probably right. I came into last season knowing the offense would probably take some time. But the problem is, I lose all rationality and level headedness on gameday lol. I knew last season wasn’t going to be good, I just didn’t it expect to be THAT bad. It’s the off season and I’m calm for now lol. But I do expect to see something improved this season. And I think we’ll see it. We have too much talent coming in to not see results of some kind.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No, but offers and player interest are two different things. Clemson made 57 offers and we made 227.

I think we have a bigger pool that some have made it out to be, but let's be reasonable.

Pool is A LOT bigger. GT fans just like to have something to hold onto that make us appear like doing something out of the norm.

As for the OP, Absolutely he can turn it around faster thanks to the transfer portal. Starting next season, we will have 3-4 high level OL protecting our QB and creating holes for one of the best RB rooms in the nation. Idc how so call “brutal” schedule, if we want be elite this the type of schedule we should be competitive in and win majority of.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Pool is A LOT bigger. GT fans just like to have something to hold onto that make us appear like doing something out of the norm.

As for the OP, Absolutely he can turn it around faster thanks to the transfer portal. Starting next season, we will have 3-4 high level OL protecting our QB and creating holes for one of the best RB rooms in the nation. Idc how so call “brutal” schedule, if we want be elite this the type of schedule we should be competitive in and win majority of.
I love the brutal schedule. It’s one of the hardest and it is definitely challenging. But if we can start winning some of these marquee games then we will be sitting in an advantageous spot if we want to aim high.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
No, but offers and player interest are two different things. Clemson made 57 offers and we made 227.

I think we have a bigger pool that some have made it out to be, but let's be reasonable.
Yep, I guess some would say Clem & ugag are just fishing in a smaller pool!? When a school can offer social media and grass mgt majors, they damned well DO have a larger pool available to fish in. Actually, we have one of the biggest academic gaps between recruits and regular students in all of CFB. Like President Harrison said with wtte in '67 when we withdrew from the sec: NOBODY is attempting to do what GT is in CFB. Our academic standing is considerably higher now than then. Excuses are based on mostly non-truths, however challenges are based on mostly.....it is what it is.

Our numbers will look a lot more like Clem & ugag's, when and if we recruit on an elite level like has been promised. In the meantime, the staff is doing what's necessary with our current standing in the minds of recruits to maximize our haul, imo.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Well taking a look at recruiting since 2008 would indicate we are outside the norm, but hopefully 2020 indicates a new normal. We've always had some restriction (probably not as much as has been widely held), but the recruiting staff is just a lot better now.

I think we're going to be dramatically improved this year. Really looking forward to seeing how much better we're going to be on offense. The widening transfer portal has suddenly become a major net plus for us this year and hopefully will remain so going forward. Seems we used to lose more than we gained, but this year that has turned around for us 180 degrees.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure of what we did in the past, but if we are 8th in offers right now, I don't think academics are a hurdle any more. Sounds like Coach Collins has been given a lot of freedom to get guys in, which is a great business decision since there is so much money for the Institute on the line.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can’t wait until the 2022 season to get here. We should be able to eliminate all the he can/ he can’t endless arguments & hopefully for the first time in 2 decades have ALL GT fans wanting us to win, not secretly praying for their agenda to be validated.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I can’t wait until the 2022 season to get here. We should be able to eliminate all the he can/ he can’t endless arguments & hopefully for the first time in 2 decades have ALL GT fans wanting us to win, not secretly praying for their agenda to be validated.
For us old guys please don't wish 2 years of our life away.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Well taking a look at recruiting since 2008 would indicate we are outside the norm, but hopefully 2020 indicates a new normal. We've always had some restriction (probably not as much as has been widely held), but the recruiting staff is just a lot better now.

I think we're going to be dramatically improved this year. Really looking forward to seeing how much better we're going to be on offense. The widening transfer portal has suddenly become a major net plus for us this year and hopefully will remain so going forward. Seems we used to lose more than we gained, but this year that has turned around for us 180 degrees.

Only restrictions GT had was the staff inexplicably tied their own hand behind their back. Recruiting for a particular scheme and player was an excuse too. We went after the same players we currently are now. Just landing them now.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The number of offers we send out does not mean that our pool is the same as the factories. There are many of those kids who will not consider GT because of the lack of majors. There are others who will not he an academic fit. Others will not fit the culture. That does not mean we cannot have good classes. However, I would not be expecting many top 10 classes, if any.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Only restrictions GT had was the staff inexplicably tied their own hand behind their back. Recruiting for a particular scheme and player was an excuse too. We went after the same players we currently are now. Just landing them now.
Here’s the top 30 recruiting classes according to 247 with the amount of majors and degrees they offer:
UGA - 100 majors, 132 degrees

Bama- 67 majors, 76 degrees

Clemson- 67 majors, 77 degree

LSU - 63 majors, 72 degrees

Ohio State - 115 majors, 160 degrees

Texas A&M - 90 majors, 108 degrees

Auburn - 76 majors, 93 degrees

Florida - 90 majors, 102 degrees

Texas - 72 majors, 92 degrees

Tennessee - 75 majors, 83 degrees

Oklahoma - 76 majors, 89 degrees

Oregon - 58 majors, 78 degrees

Miami - 82 majors, 106 degrees

Michigan - 81 majors, 121 degrees

Penn State - 116 majors, 152 degrees

Washington - 122 majors, 238 degrees

Notre Dame - 57 majors, 72 degrees

South Carolina - 66 majors, 86 degrees

North Carolina - 84 majors, 138 degrees

Nebraska - 97 majors, 143 degrees

Stanford - 46 majors, 58 degrees

Florida State - 71 majors, 98 degrees

Kentucky - 86 majors, 104 degrees

Arizona State - 70 majors, 92 degrees

Wisconsin - 96 majors, 127 degrees

Georgia Tech - 33 majors, 34 degrees

Mississippi State - 67 majors, 75 degrees

TCU - 62 majors, 102 degrees

Utah - 86 majors, 113 degrees

Arkansas - 70 majors, 76 degrees​

All of this information comes from collegefactual.com, and most of the numbers are a little off from what the schools themselves publish on their sites. Not by much, but occasionally by 5-10, almost always lower than the school’s numbers. Bolded are teams Tech directly competes against on the field, while many others on the list are direct competitors in recruiting. Tech only offers half (or less) majors than every other school on the list. Stanford is the only other school on the list that offers fewer than 50 majors, and we all know they aren’t as exclusive with athletes as they like to think they are.

The whole point of this list is to show that there are challenges that come with recruiting to Tech. I think your point, @Ibeeballin, is that the vast majority of athletes can get in to Tech, and I would agree with that. What I can’t agree with is that Tech is on an equal playing field with everyone else. It’s obvious. I’ve said it before, it’s not even about recruiting kids who don’t want to “play school”, it’s about not being able to sign kids who want a legit degree, but don’t want to go into business or engineering. Any kid that wants to be a teacher or a high school coach can automatically rule Tech out. The pool of players that Tech is attractive to academically is absolutely smaller than say, Clemson or UGA. That’s why I’ve said the ceiling for Tech recruiting is around 10 nationally. If you’re not playing with a full deck, it’s tough to win.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
The number of offers we send out does not mean that our pool is the same as the factories. There are many of those kids who will not consider GT because of the lack of majors. There are others who will not he an academic fit. Others will not fit the culture. That does not mean we cannot have good classes. However, I would not be expecting many top 10 classes, if any.

I'm not sure I understand.
You're saying that we are still concerned about academics, but we have offered the 8th most kids in the country. I'm all for better recruiting, but I find it hard to believe that we have found over 220 kids that can handle the academics of GT. Not to mention have the test scores to get in like normal students.