Thoughts? Could Collins turn the program around faster than expected?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC will need to find that young Fridge (or several of them), like Joe Brady was for LSU, if he is going to make our dreams of GT being on the big stage a reality.

Do I think he can recruit a little better than he did this year? Yes, I still think that some years, he might get into the top 20, which is really saying something. He is a GREAT salesman and marketeer, for sure.

Do I think his recruiting (alone) can overcome the difference we have to overcome to play against the best in the P5? NO WAY

I am hoping he will have a special ability to identify and hire special coaches to make the pre-game strategy and play-calling decisions that are ELITE. We will need it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was watching Clemson/ GT from 2009. It was surreal watching that game. I remember watching that game my senior year in high school. The program had come off a stellar first year with CPJ. The Clemson game was a whiteout. Hey and guess what? TECH FANS SHOWED UP AND PACKED THE PLACE. The stands were 85% white with an orange section and a few of them sprinkled here and there. But it looked damn good. What a different time.

CPJ was a different coach. His body language was sharper. He looked more intense. More enthusiastic. Dabo was young and on his first full year as head coach of Clemson. CPJ picked on him in that game. Strange to see a young Dabo get schooled in coaching. He was frustrated but always trying to teach his players when they screwed up. They announcers made fun of and laughed at a students Yabo Dabo Doo shirt. Clemson was painted in a completely different light. Techs program was new and exciting. Coach was coaching. Players were making plays.

All this got me thinking...Often I’ve seen the comparison between Dabo and Collins. Collins is somewhat trying to emulate the thing similar to what Dabo did at clemson. But could Collins do the same thing at Tech? But FASTER?

Hear me out. And yes this is just a theory, but it’s the off-season and everyone is bored. Tech is in a hotbed breeding ground for elite high school talent. We are right here in the thick of it. With Collins’ ability to expose our brand and use social media, and his RELENTLESS and ATTACKING mentality, could we grow faster? Dabo took some years maybe because they’re Little Ole Clemson in a podunk town. It took him some time and some wins.

I think Collins wants to waste zero time. We could turn around faster than we think. Yes I realize he needs to win games. Yes I realize he made questionable coaching decisions last year. Yes I realize he has yet to coach two full years and have a winning season. This is just a theory. Just entertain me here. What do y’all think?

Prior to Dabo, Clemson was recruiting in the top 15-20 range and after a few years of CDS moved into the elite recruiting territory. We are moving from the 40-50 range to the 24-28 range so far. I don't think using Dabo as the comparison point is fair to CGC.

That being said, the relaxation of a lot of the transfer rules benefits us greatly right now, and if there is a reason we turn this around faster, it's, IMO, solely due to the combination of CGCs recruiting, both HS and transfers, and good coaching by the staff. I think this could be faster than I originally projected, but I still don't think it's this season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is very realistic I would like to see it but could live with it but would love to see year 4 in year 3. One thing you can say the coaches work hard
The second thing u can say after work their Axx off, he gives everyone that works for him credit and let's them speak in public. They will be rewarded here or at their next job.
I think he, tstan, and the prez can make bds a fun place for side walk fans, students, faculty and gt alumni. Well maybe not for the gt alumni.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I was trying to just point out how things were different. Not really harping on Clemson other than how young and inexperienced Dabo was at the time.

But I’m not happy with just competing for ACC titles and I doubt our coaches and players are either. Obviously we have to win those first to go anywhere else. You said something of limitations. Our coaches don’t see limitations and the players don’t either. I think that’s part of the culture he’s trying to change as well. We should expect and want to win more.
There are very real limitations. Our pool of recruits will always be smaller than the factories. Also, look at how much money the top schools spend on coaching staffs and recruiting. We are nowhere near that. If you you are expecting us to be a perennial national championship contender with these limitations you will be sorely disappointed. I expect the coaches and players to do there best no matter what. However I will not place unrealistic expectations on them.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited as ever about the program, but we still lack majors that is going to attract 4-5 star talent consistently.
I wish people would stop using then academics as an excuse. I get it. Tech has to take calculus and all that stuff other programs don’t. But our coaches don’t see it as an obstacle. We shouldn’t either. We’ll never grow as a program until we get over ourselves and believe we can be better

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
There are very real limitations. Our pool of recruits will always be smaller than the factories. Also, look at how much money the top schools spend on coaching staffs and recruiting. We are nowhere near that. If you you are expecting us to be a perennial national championship contender with these limitations you will be sorely disappointed. I expect the coaches and players to do there best no matter what. However I will not place unrealistic expectations on them.
You’re right. Can’t wait to reach our ceiling and lose to Clemson every year in the ACCCG

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
That’s a fair expectation. I could definitely use a few more wins in the coming years lol.

I can see why a lot of people dislike him. I’ll like him a lot more if he starts delivering on the field. You are right though. There is so much change now. But the man is doing EVERYTHING possible to make Tech pop again. If you think about it, there’s really no reason Tech can’t be a staple in college football. People wanna talk about academic hurdles but it isn’t impossible. We should, as a fan base, strive to get superior athletes and superior students. They’re out there and coaches know that. If we keep honing in on talent early (like Gibbs) then the future is bright when it comes to getting the types of athletes we need here. If Collins succeeds in what he is set out to do, then he will no doubt be one of the greats. But until then let’s sit back and see how it goes

A lot of people dislike him? Whaaa? Nah. The same 6 people from one message board doesn’t really constitute a lot.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I think gtfb can be in national picture every year, and it might come a little quicker than I first thought, but not this year. Just because cgc says last Xmas was last one at home l believe we will go to a bowl game just off of transfers and GTs this fall along with what we already have and the infusion of a few freshmen.
I truly believe we will become an elite program for elite athletes in the very near future. I believe elite athletes from around the country will want to come here starting in the near future.

That’s a fair expectation. I could definitely use a few more wins in the coming years lol.

I can see why a lot of people dislike him. I’ll like him a lot more if he starts delivering on the field. You are right though. There is so much change now. But the man is doing EVERYTHING possible to make Tech pop again. If you think about it, there’s really no reason Tech can’t be a staple in college football. People wanna talk about academic hurdles but it isn’t impossible. We should, as a fan base, strive to get superior athletes and superior students. They’re out there and coaches know that. If we keep honing in on talent early (like Gibbs) then the future is bright when it comes to getting the types of athletes we need here. If Collins succeeds in what he is set out to do, then he will no doubt be one of the greats. But until then let’s sit back and see how it goes
Frankly, I think the academics issue was far greater when Dodd was coaching, because back then, it was much harder to get in than to get out, and Wally Butts notoriously held academics over the heads of common recruits. If Dodd could get the best and beat the best, then there's no reason why we still can't do that.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It begins with the QB. Do we catch lightning in a bottle in the next year or two?
We also need a huge improvement in the OL, DL, and LB.
I hope to see it begin to change next year. I don’t want this to be a slow ten year plan.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
It would be nice in theory, to see a 180 in a year or two, but I just dont see it.

Reason: Because we have to completely flip the roster and get guys in who fit the model that CGC has in mind. We cant just plug and play Transfers on the lines and see a drastic improvement. Does it help? Well yeah, but we need to have one cohesive unit that can function as a well oiled machine.

In hindsight it would be sweet to compete for the Coastal next year and take georgie to the wire, but we have to think reasonably about the magnitude of the situation. In time though.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I like your excitement and certainly enjoyed several of the early PJ vs Dumbo games. As far as comparisons, there are none between Tech and Clemson. Several people have already mentioned their budget and facilities. With that said, I’m not really placing a over/under time frame on this staff. I see the progress made in recruiting and only hope that the improvement will translate to more wins.
Frankly, I think the academics issue was far greater when Dodd was coaching, because back then, it was much harder to get in than to get out, and Wally Butts notoriously held academics over the heads of common recruits. If Dodd could get the best and beat the best, then there's no reason why we still can't do that.
I don't even no where to begin on this. I suppose I agree with the academic portion of your statement but find absolutely zero things about the Dodd era and modern day football that are similar. Dodd didn't have to find 85 good to great players for the first half of his career (single platoon system) nor did he or other programs in the south field African American rosters. I'm a third gen Tech guy with my grandfather (class of 22) and my dad (class of 44) ready to punch you in the mouth if you said anything negative about their Jackets. I would much rather look at Ross and GOL for similarities and goals going forward. Some on here have mentioned having coaches on staff that are truly difference makers, and I believe that both of those staffs had that. Today, those great guys are generally identified early and are paid a ransom. We are witnessing a run away train over the last 15 years with programs trying to duplicate Saban and his philosophy. I am very aware of every possible hurdle in the way but have witnessed a national championship and 3 in a row against teams with much greater resources. Notice I pulled a Collins and didn't mention the school 75 miles away by name! It's late or early and obviously I should be in bed and not going off on Swarm but will only add that am 100% in on Collins and refuse to place expectations on how early he can turn this thing. THWG

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Could Collins turn the program around faster than expected?

I’m expecting an 8-4 team in 2021. Can he do that in 2020? No. But I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he does.

I think a better way to answer this to compare the returning production of Tech to the returning production of Tech’s schedule and make a comparison. I may try to do this later today.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal is hot garbage. We should at least have a chance to win it. UNC has the best QB so they’ll be the media pick. VT always has some big dude that runs over our LB’s and they just whipped us. But, every year in the Coastal is crazy and comes down to plays in the 4th and turnovers. I see GT having a shot, but the QB position has to take a HUGE step forward. And LB play has to seriously improve.