This really stinks

Think the Aloha Bowl game against Stanford was a Christmas game also... don't remember the year, but do remember a late victory...!

Anyone here at that game? Surely that would be a most unique Christmas experience
Yes, Aloha Bowl on Christmas Day of 1991. Tech 18 - Stanford 17. I don't know anyone who went, but it would have made for an interesting Christmas

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Think the Aloha Bowl game against Stanford was a Christmas game also... don't remember the year, but do remember a late victory...!

Anyone here at that game? Surely that would be a most unique Christmas experience
1991 GT beat Stanford 18-17 It was sweet because the ESPN announcers acted like GT had no chance.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I remember that Aloha bowl watching it at my uncles house on Christmas. Stanford had Whitfield who was blind in one eye. The Falcons drafted him. I remember Clay made a good play to help us win.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Four times ---
1971. The team didn't want to go, but Carson insisted. Ole Miss 41 - Tech 18. Carson was fired shortly afterwards
1978, the aforementioned loss to Purdue on Christmas Day
2000, although then called the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. LSU 28 - Tech 14
2008, again as the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. LSU 38 - Tech 3

We don't need to go back.....LOL
It's a much bigger Bowl Game now however

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This might be the peach bowl my pop talks about but I'm not certain. The one I remember him talking about he said he'd never been more cold and miserable. Said it was raining, sleeting, and snowing all at the same time and he has never been more miserable.
Against Ole Miss. Cold like I have never been in my life. Night game with solid sheets of near frozen stuff coming down through the entire game. I went with my father and uncle and it took us all an hour to warm up after we got home.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I sold programs at a cold, rainy night (?) Peach Bowl involving Arizona State. I think I took home $6.00 that game. that might have been the one your dad remembers.
I was at that one too. The first four or five Peach Bowls involved cold and something falling from the sky. FSU and LSU was also cold and rainy. UNC played one year when it snowed hard at one point in the game.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I was at that one too. The first four or five Peach Bowls involved cold and something falling from the sky. FSU and LSU was also cold and rainy. UNC played one year when it snowed hard at one point in the game.
Former Falcon Monroe Eley and former Cowboy Danny White had big games for the 10-0 Sun Devils against the 8-3 Tarholes in the 1970 game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Peach_Bowl

Last edited:

Wasn't at that game but I am in possession of the football that Jimmy Lincoln scored the two point conversion with to win the game. By the way just as an FYI, the play was a triple option.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
That's awesome ColoradoJ... are the details of how you came into possession of that ball available..? Maybe that info is still classified!