This is how our mpg look like at each position so far

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
I took the total mpg for each player and extrapolated how many mpg each player is playing at each position. I had to make some assumptions that probably aren't 100% accurate, but I think still shows the basic idea.

I'm surprised so far that JH has played so much. I know TJ isn't 100%, but I would have expected CH to take more of the workload. I've been pleasantly surprised by JH's play.

I like MGH playing significant minutes at the 2. It allows us to play bigger and put our best 5 players on the court. SF is the more natural position for QS. It's not surprising that MGH is playing the most, but I wouldn't have expected before the season started that QS would be second on the team. This is probably a result of QS playing so well and only having two players who can really play at SF.

gtbball.PNG

Some assumptions:
SG needed 0.3 mpg from PG, so I assumed JH is probably the most likely out of TJ and CH to play some minutes at the 2
I have Charles Mitchell as the only PF to play at C. RS and AG could have some minutes there, but I'm not sure how it'd all add up

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I took the total mpg for each player and extrapolated how many mpg each player is playing at each position. I had to make some assumptions that probably aren't 100% accurate, but I think still shows the basic idea.

I'm surprised so far that JH has played so much. I know TJ isn't 100%, but I would have expected CH to take more of the workload. I've been pleasantly surprised by JH's play.

I like MGH playing significant minutes at the 2. It allows us to play bigger and put our best 5 players on the court. SF is the more natural position for QS. It's not surprising that MGH is playing the most, but I wouldn't have expected before the season started that QS would be second on the team. This is probably a result of QS playing so well and only having two players who can really play at SF.

View attachment 589

Some assumptions:
SG needed 0.3 mpg from PG, so I assumed JH is probably the most likely out of TJ and CH to play some minutes at the 2
I have Charles Mitchell as the only PF to play at C. RS and AG could have some minutes there, but I'm not sure how it'd all add up

Thanks for sharing! I've wondered how the MPG broke down so far. It will be interesting to see this once we get into conference play and the bench shortens.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks to @bcaff for assembling this data.

So this is how the minutes break out on a player basis. Maybe you all had a better read on this going into the season, but I see some surprises here. The two that jump right out are Q and Heath logging doe many minutes. And Travis and Bolden so few. While not quite as much of a surprise, I thought Tadric would see more floor time.

Is Heyward injured?

MGH 29.0
QS 27.0
Cox 25.7
Heath 23.3
Mitchell 22.0
Sampson 20.3
Tadric 13.7
Travis 13.0
Bolden 12.3
Lammers 7.0
Heyward 4.0
AD 2.7

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While it is early I think we can already get a good feel for how things are likely to shake out as the season progresses and the competition is more stiff.

At PG - Heath and Jorgenson will split the minutes. Assuming Travis gets healthier as the season goes on I would expect his minutes to rise some and Heath's to go down a little. It's hard to see Heyward getting significant time unless one of Heath or Jorgenson gets injured.

Wings - if you assume that Hunt and Q combine for 55-60 mpg (which seems likely) - that only leaves 20-25 mpg for 2 other players. My gut says that as Tadric gets comfortable and starts to play more under control that he is likely to see his time increase and Bolden would likely get a little less - more likely spot minutes - except in foul trouble gains.

Post - Cox, Mitchell and Sampson are combining for 68 mpg, I think that goes up to closer to 75 mpg and then Lammers gets a few short stints each game and Gueye gets a redshirt.

Basically you are looking at an 8 man rotation with 2 others maybe getting spot minutes or playing more if there is foul issues or injuries.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All of this sounds pretty good to me. I really like the overall depth and fact that people have very defined roles, which seems to be where college hoops is heading.

Thanks to everyone doing homework in this thread.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to @bcaff for assembling this data.

So this is how the minutes break out on a player basis. Maybe you all had a better read on this going into the season, but I see some surprises here. The two that jump right out are Q and Heath logging doe many minutes. And Travis and Bolden so few. While not quite as much of a surprise, I thought Tadric would see more floor time.

Is Heyward injured?

MGH 29.0
QS 27.0
Cox 25.7
Heath 23.3
Mitchell 22.0
Sampson 20.3
Tadric 13.7
Travis 13.0
Bolden 12.3
Lammers 7.0
Heyward 4.0
AD 2.7

On Tadric time, I thought so also.But his shooting % is BAD.Needs to grow-up and be productive.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tadric's %ages are bad, but he's taking good shots or creating FT opps and shooting 88%.

The work will be put in and we'll see improvement.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Tadric's %ages are bad, but he's taking good shots or creating FT opps and shooting 88%.

The work will be put in and we'll see improvement.

And even if the shots aren't falling right now, he's the only one on the team who's shown the ability to create his own shot, which as we've said before could be extremely beneficial in those typical GT scoring slumps