This Game is Big (understatement of the decade)

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
While the UGA win last week was massive for our program, probably the biggest win in the CPJ tenure thusfar in my opinion (perception is big, and that game changed the whole perception of him and the program in my opinion.

That said, I think Saturday's game is even bigger. The national spotlight will be on Georgia Tech football on Saturday night. We have a chance to make an impression on people who don't normally follow GT football.

We have a chance to beat our 2nd straight top-10 opponent.

We have a chance to get to 11 wins, something only a TINY handful of teams will do this year.

We have a chance to win CPJ's 2nd ACC title.

We have a (slim) chance of getting into the playoff. Let that sink in. We are actually in the playoff discussion. A team that got ZERO votes in the preseason AP poll has a chance to get into the top 4.

We have a chance to enter next season as a preseason top 10 if we win this.

We have a chance to show recruits how far this program has come. Winning the recruiting battle changes everything. Look at where Ole Miss is after a big recruiting class a year ago.

While beating UGA was amazing, this Saturday is beyond big. If you have ANY chance of getting to Charlotte this weekend, get there and get behind this team. I can't wait to hit the road Saturday AM!

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
Look at where Ole Miss is after a big recruiting class a year ago.

While I do agree this is a huge game, and I am very excited for it.

You say look at Ole Miss... I say yea look in the rear view mirror at them. Highly prized recruits are great, but I am cool with whomever coach wants on the team and the style of team with the lockerroom he has laid the foundation for.

Ole miss' recruiting also isn't based off winning, their team is based on the recruits from the 2013 signing class, which followed a 7-6 season. I would say their exceptional recruiting has $omething el$e helping out.

But, no doubt, winning helps recruiting and better recruiting helps winning.

Big game! Go Jackets!

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I mentioned Ole Miss is that they went from irrelevant to relevant and winning on the recruiting trail helped that. We have done some of the same, but winning Saturday night will help.

You're right, there was $omething el$e helping, I'm sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's a big game but in my feeble mind the UGAg was bigger. That was a beat down of an SEC opponent (and refs) who (combined UGAGg and refs) are 39-2 at home now under Richt.

FSU is a train wreck waiting to happen. That is the general opinion, so as long as we don't stink up the place (we won't), it'll be fine win or lose.

At least to me, we are so playing with house money that we have nothing at all to lose. I think the team will be very loose and fast. The only thing I worry about is an emotional hangover after leaving everything on the field last week for us.

For the record, I'm keeping my avatar up till we are no longer in the running. This is one hell of a year.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Ya it's crazy how much respect we gained from beating UGA..it's like we went from average team no one cares about to one of the best teams in the country..just positive reviews from everyone about this team. This potential FSU win is just icing on the cake. Will be a huge accomplishment and a milestone win for the program though.

Oh ya and btw I don't give a **** what anyone else says, FSU is the best team in the country until someone beats them...

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
We have so much momentum built up over the past five weeks it's mind boggling. We won four games in a row by at least 22 points each and we've now beaten a Top 20 team and a Top 10 team in back-to-back weeks with an opportunity to beat a Top 5 team THIS weekend.

Our offense has been consistent in spite of losing Snoddy, and we even were able to keep running the ball down UGA's throat when we lost Smelter.

Our defense has gone from oh ****...to HOLY ****.

This team has been amazing regardless of what happens Saturday night, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they went out and put 42 points on FSU and held them to 17 the way they're playing right now, I really wouldn't.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
FSU can beat any team in the country and, under the right circumstances, do it relatively easily.

The fun part of about this match up to me is that Tech can also beat any team in the country right now, just not as easily, and, only by playing a complete game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I mentioned Ole Miss is that they went from irrelevant to relevant and winning on the recruiting trail helped that. We have done some of the same, but winning Saturday night will help.

You're right, there was $omething el$e helping, I'm sure.

I am sure there are good quality kids in all levels of athletics - if coach wants to pass on one we all agree. But having more chances shopping is a good thing.
We missed some recruits that committed and flipped.
Thwg

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game is huge, mostly because it is next, but also because of what it represents. I am trying to force myself NOT to look past the immediate. An ACC title is sitting there on the table. We need to go TAKE it. That title represents the greatest realistic (some would argue to the contrary) goal this team could have possibly had for itself at the beginning of the year. When a team accomplishes ALL of its major goals, that is a wonderful thing.

I want to get into the playoff as much as anybody, but I hesitate to dive too much into the consequences of Saturday's game mentally. We have a team in front of us, and the most constant thing in sports is that you have to beat whatever team is put in front of you next. That is where our focus has to lie, without distraction. Just find a way to score 1 more than the next opponent. FSU represents a huge challenge. Anybody who says otherwise is neither sane or genuine. Challenges are to be embraced wholeheartedly, for their own merits. For me, this next game is season all to itself.

Am I confident? I'll tell you what. I am confident our team will show up and play really well. I am confident we will not shrink from the challenge. Most of America probably sees us as an underdog, but to be truthful, I really like our chemistry, our mental toughness, our character, our system, and our, our ,our, our ...... I don't know, but we will find a way.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If yoy think my focus or distraction, as a fan, affects the team outcome, then you've been watching too many Buffalo Wild Wings commercials.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Am I confident? I'll tell you what. I am confident our team will show up and play really well. I am confident we will not shrink from the challenge. Most of America probably sees us as an underdog, but to be truthful, I really like our chemistry, our mental toughness, our character, our system, and our, our ,our, our ...... I don't know, but WE WILL FIND A WAY.

This totally encompasses how I've felt about our team all season long. This team gives me so much confidence!

GTAFD

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i wont quote a number but.... lets just say i like the way you think. ill be happy for a W any W. let the chips fall where they may.

We have so much momentum built up over the past five weeks it's mind boggling. We won four games in a row by at least 22 points each and we've now beaten a Top 20 team and a Top 10 team in back-to-back weeks with an opportunity to beat a Top 5 team THIS weekend.

Our offense has been consistent in spite of losing Snoddy, and we even were able to keep running the ball down UGA's throat when we lost Smelter.

This team has been amazing regardless of what happens Saturday night, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they went out and put 42 points on FSU and held them to 17 the way they're playing right now, I really wouldn't.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
1951† SEC Bobby Dodd 11–0–1 7–0
1952 SEC Bobby Dodd 12–0 7–0
1990 ACC Bobby Ross 11–0–1 6–0–1
1998† ACC George O'Leary 10–2 7–1
2009* ACC Paul Johnson 11–3 7–1

with another placement in the top 6 puts cpj in pretty good company. only dodd had better records.

go jackets

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
FSU can beat any team in the country and, under the right circumstances, do it relatively easily.

The fun part of about this match up to me is that Tech can also beat any team in the country right now, just not as easily, and, only by playing a complete game.
I think this is a very true statement.

I know that lacking in confidence is not a requisite for being a Tech fan but I really think that although the Jackets could run all over FSU and beat them solidly that this would really be an astonishing result. It would be a fantastic achievement, just as the win in Blacksburg or over Miami were such no matter what those 2 teams went on to do after we broke their hearts.

To my way of thinking exaggerated expectations can make winning a close game seem a letdown, or even losing the game by a little or a lot would then be treated as a huge disappointment and drag the season as a whole down in some fans estimation.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If we do that we'd better make the playoff.

Last edited:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="
To my way of thinking exaggerated expectations can make winning a close game seem a letdown, or even losing the game by a little or a lot would then be treated as a huge disappointment and drag the season as a whole down in some fans estimation.[/QUOTE]
Well stated. My daughter and husband are Baylor Alums and the fact Texas Tech came back and made the final score close. left them feeling they had lost because they expected a beat down by the Bears. The methods of the selection committee have a lot to do with the let down. When the committee considers over looking a loss, over a win no matter how close, teams realize we need to beat up anyone we can, so the committee will credit a quality win. Baylor should be ahead of TCU because of head to head and FSU should be number 1. The 4 teams should be from big 5 conference champions, not left to subjective and human bias.
Go Jackets!!! We love this team!!!
SWARM!!!!! SWARM!!!

slugboy

Staff member

And, of course, momentum is huge...

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
When was the last time any of us really had confidence in a Tech team? We mostly just wait for them to disappoint us, but now the feeling is very different. I just don't think losing is in this team's DNA