There is no longer holding in the tackle box

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ya... I think the refs got a directive this year not to call holding in the tackle box.

Gotsis was dragging a defender to the QB (that had a hold of the back of his jersey) on both his QB sacks. Also there were plenty of bear hugs going on like this...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only no call I was upset about was the obvious one on Freeman. You can find holds almost every play but the big ones need to be called especially when the only reason they can get a big play from it is due to the hold.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not even the worst example. I'm sure you'll post some more vines if you can find them, but I showed a buddy one of the ones from the Duke game and he couldn't believe it. Freeman was in a chokehold. I even tweeted the pic to Ken at the AJC when he mentioned some of the calls in that game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The holding I went ballistic on was the last Pitt fumble of the day. I think it was Freeman who was literally being a sled dog dragging the OT to the QB. Of course, no call.

I'd love to see that one, Please?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, to be fair, I think the refs missed the calls on both of the Pitt fumbles that were reviewed. IMO, they just simply couldn't be overturned because there wasn't definitive evidence to overturn. Had both been ruled down on contact, I think those calls would have stood for the same reason.

Likewise, the Smelter reception also looked like it bounced but again there wasn't 100% evidence to overturn.

But in the end, that wasn't the reason Pitt lost yesterday. They were simply beaten yesterday by a team that wanted it more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We've got to be more savvy about stuff like that. That's when you throw your hands up in the air and start yelling to get the ref's attention. Kyle could have looped his right arm over the top of the OL's grasp (a martial arts move to gain leverage over an opponent's who has their hands on you). Our DL is really bad at preventing the OL from getting their hands on them.

There's holding on pretty much every play...that was pretty bad though.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It wasn't just the tackle box. They had IJ (i thibk) by his jersey on the cutback run from Connor for the 3rd TD.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Been yelling "Holding!" since the Duke game. Our guys would get free on one of those critical plays and would has to piggyback-drag the OL to the QB.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I agree with the whole sentiment of this thread, and have been thinking the same thing while watching the games. It actually seems as if there's been a conscious shift by both the refs and the OL coaching toward just straight up blatant holding (like there was a secret meeting somewhere where this was handed down from on high). Also, used to, you would see more holding calls on passing plays than running plays, but even the few holding calls we've benefited from have been on running plays, as I'm remembering it.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Duke has been, BY FAR, the dirtiest team we've played this season, and the refs were in position to make the calls and ignored them, including the plays where they INTENTIONALLY hurt Justin's ankles TWICE by grabbing and twisting after the tackle. Their team gets away with more "posturing" after plays (unsportsmanlike penalties ignored) than any team I have ever seen.

I have no doubt their head coach teaches the thug behavior.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ever since the rules were changed to allow "push-and-dance" blocking it was only a matter of time before the situation deteriorated to the point it is today.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably due to TV ratings. Think of the NBA. If they called walks, Michael Jordan would have turned the ball over every other play. Why don't they? Because the fans like offense and they like high flying play around the basket. Hence, no calls for walks on people who can provide the viewing experience.

Same difference with college football. Fans like to see offense, especially passing; it's "exciting" and all the rest of the pundit hyperboles. So, slowly, over time, a "going rate" for holding gets established and the refs, without any orders, begin to conform to it. It's sort of like spanking kids in schools; it's against the law and school policy everywhere, but it happens. It's usually because the word gets passed around that if you lick a kid nothing will happen unless you get caught at it. (The social science types call this "informal institutionalization".)

And, of course, you can just get real bad refs, like that band of clowns who called the Puke game.