There is a tide in the affairs of men

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Since this board is unbelievably dull right now, it's time to pump you up!

What do these numbers have in common?

57, 59, 60, 64, 67, 69, 71, 73, 76, 78, 83, 85, 86, 91, 95, 97, 98, 99, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14

Since we won 8 in a row against uga in the 50's, the numbers listed above are the years where that game was decided by 7 points or less. That's 25 out of 58 years. uga won 19 of those, we won 6. uga won 42 times in the last 58 years. So 19 of their 42 wins (almost half) were by a touchdown or less. Many, many of their wins were heart breakers in the last minute. In the last 45 years since I've been paying close attention, I can think of at least a dozen times where they either scored in the last minute to win (like 76 and 97) or we failed to score in the last minute and lost (like 83 and 09).

Now this time period covers uga's glory years of dooley in the 60's, herschel in the 80's, richt in the naughts. Huge crowds, prestigious bowls, money falling from the sky, fawning local media coverage, huge alumni base, almost non-existent admittance requirements. This time frame also covers our rock bottoms during that time. In eleven of those 58 years, almost 20% of the time, we won 4 games or less. We have had 9 coaching transitions, uga has had 4. We have wandered from the sec to Independent to the ACC. We have downsized our stadium, had the Falcons move next door, almost gave up football, endured flunkgate, tightened and tightened entrance requirements, hosted an Olympics, became a basketball school, and dug up a sewer next to the stadium during football season. No one can argue that they did not have every advantage other than academic excellence over us in sports for the last 58 years. And yet those people to our east had to hang on for dear life at least three times each decade to pull out their wins, and they would generally lose to us three times each decade.

There is a tide in human affairs; uga's national tide peaked in 2012. And still they came up short in the game against Bama, blowing a ten point second half lead and a certain MNC against ND. It won't come again to them in my lifetime, thankfully. Their tide is receding on a state basis, also. It peaked with 18 seconds left against us this year and then receded. The onus, the pressure, the expectation to lose late is now riding them.
And our low tide is behind us.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Since it is Friday, I will drink to that.

I am hopeful for the future as well and it would please me no end that your last paragraph prove out to be true - and that you live a long, long time.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There you go.

premium-verum1.png

TGIF and THWG!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine - we squeak out a win this year.
The pups will be screaming that they will get us next year in Athens!
Now imagine after that set up, we just man handle them there.
They will be in hyper sack cloth and ashes mode.
Oh, Sweet the taste of victory to come.
Till then his Bud's for You!

Wish I knew how to post a toe meets leather clock on a THREAD - it would be the most looked at thread for sure!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Hopefully good things continue. I hope we run up a 3-4 game win streak on them again. 98-00 was so much fun

I was thinking about our series with them the other night. You want to see something crazy...look at the records since 1989 in Athens and Atlanta...

Tech is 5-8 in Athens since 1989
Tech is 2-11 in Atlanta since 1989

WTF is that? We've got to beat them at home two or three times!

Three games come to mind: 1997, 2009, 2013. There are others as well (2006 comes to mind), but we're supposed to win those games. We win those three and we're 5-8 at home and 5-8 away. That would put us at 38%. That I could live with.

It's going to be tough for us to get to a 50/50 split with them for a long period of time. As much as I hate them, they have NFL caliber talent lining up to enroll every year, whereas we have to do a much better job of talent evaluation and training.

The problem is that it's tough to point at every close loss and say we should have won...you're not going to win EVERY close game, but 6 out of 25 is not very good. There's always going to be years where they just blow us out, and we'll just have to live with those. But we need to get the close games to a 50/50 split.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I want to remind everyone (who may have forgotten) we haven't won in our house this century against ugag.....!?!?!

My boy has not been able to experience the mutt hurt in BDS.

Well dangit I want him to this year!!
That game is circled on alot of calendars for alot of reasons.

Especially on mine, like in 99 ( also a 51 48 squeeker) I will be there yelling THWG!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I want to remind everyone (who may have forgotten) we haven't won in our house this century against ugag.....!?!?!

My boy has not been able to experience the mutt hurt in BDS.

Well dangit I want him to this year!!
That game is circled on alot of calendars for alot of reasons.

Especially on mine, like in 99 ( also a 51 48 squeeker) I will be there yelling THWG!!

If circling games on a calendar made any difference we wouldn't be 7-19 or so. I quit circling them a while back. Correlation coefficient of wins vs. circling/not circling is about the same.

I think the r value is much higher measured against talent and execution of fundamentals.;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If circling games on a calendar made any difference we wouldn't be 7-19 or so. I quit circling them a while back. Correlation coefficient of wins vs. circling/not circling is about the same.

I think the r value is much higher measured against talent and execution of fundamentals.;)
Now you got'a go bringing science into this when we were getting a good emotional roll going here.:)

Animal02

Banned
Yep. Hopefully good things continue. I hope we run up a 3-4 game win streak on them again. 98-00 was so much fun

I was thinking about our series with them the other night. You want to see something crazy...look at the records since 1989 in Athens and Atlanta...

Tech is 5-8 in Athens since 1989
Tech is 2-11 in Atlanta since 1989

WTF is that? We've got to beat them at home two or three times!

Up to a couple of years ago.....the visiting team supplied the ref's.
One win in Atlanta would have been a loss if instant replay had been around.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is that for the past 50+ years, uga has had every advantage and yet very often had to fight for their lives. What advantages do they have now that they haven't had all along? Now ask yourself what is the state of our program compared to the last 50 years? I think we have been at this point twice in that time period; 1989 when we closed on a rush and would have won the bowl game if the Peach Bowl a**holes hadn't screwed us, and 1998 when Hamilton was a junior and we beat uga on a late FG. You could make a case for 1984, too. Each time, major coaching changes over the next two to three years dissipated our momentum. Now Roof and Johnson may both be NFL head coaches in two years for all I know, but I think more than likely they will still be here. Except for 2007 (which was soon followed by a coaching change), I don't think you can argue that our recruiting results and pipeline have been stronger in the last 25 years than it is now. IMO, I think our OL talent and depth is better than at any time since 1998. JT demonstrated this year he is capable as Dewberry, Jones, Hamilton, and Godsey; all of whom had good results against the flea bags. Want some other indicators? CPJ has broken the miserable streak of losing in Charlottesville. Close losses there cost us dearly in rankings, momentum, and bowls when O'Leary and Gailey were coaching. The same can be said about FSU. We have more than held serve against Clemson, and they have had some fine teams in the last few years. Even with losses to the pukes and tar holes this year, we still own the state of North Carolina. IIRC, we went over 50 years without winning at Chapel Hill. There really is only one hill left to climb, and our tide took us to that top the Saturday after Thanksgiving. As I said in an earlier thread, I have never seen a Tech team take the punches that this team did (and especially against uga on the road) and still get up and win the damn game. I really believe some tectonic plates shifted that day.

Anecdote: I have a nephew (early 30's) that I took to his first Tech game at age 5. I did all I could to indoctrinate him. Never had a prayer of getting into Tech, wound up with a GED, but did things in the Marines that made my hair stand up, and now has a degree. He has a first cousin, same age, that he grew up with who played OL for the Dwags. He tried to hide it from me, but I knew he was more of an uga fan because of his cousin. I got to spend some time with him last month on vacation. He was bubbling over about Tech. Told me he was "sick of that crap going on in Athens", and that uga needed to clean house. If we can put a couple more very good years together, the sidewalk fans will come, uga will be looking for the next Donnan, and CPJ will be being measured for the statue to go in front of the stadium.