The widening gap of conference revenue streams

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Money talks, and I promise you more people would rather watch us play Nebraksa or Iowa then Duke or Wake Forrest.
People seem to have a hard time understanding that we do better when we get 0.1% of Nebraska's 300k football fans to come to Bobby Dodd than 10% of Dook's 3k football fans. It puts more butts in the seats and makes the games interesting to watch. There will be a time when this experiment ends and we go back to being competitive on the gridiron again and same goes for Nebraska. It would be nice to have decent games on the other side, not games like Dook.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For all of you non-believers about the mega expansion of conferences, especially the B1G and SEC.
I wrote in another thread that end goal here for conferences is mega expansion (SEC and B1G will be the biggest engines pulling the conference trains), all driven by a changing revenue streams. The SEC has already acquired two of the biggest chips in the college game (Texas, Oklahoma), and will most likely be hyper aggressive once member ACC schools and PAC12 schools are approaching the end of their media rights contracts with their respective conferences. There's a long game here, and college sports is on notice. Today, another tea leaf has dropped:

Say what you want about Radakovich, but he's probably one of the best ADs in terms of understanding the ever shifting college sports landscape. Radakovich is reportedly the one that led the talks with GT ultimately receiving a B1G bid in the last round of expansion (which we foolishly turned down). I think there's a BIG reason why he left Clemson for Miami, and it has to do with Miami's vision for next round of conference mega expansion. Make no mistake, the ACC is dead man walking, and it's about to be gutted with the B1G and SEC poaching its members once the media rights contracts are expired.

I see ESPN and Fox becoming an entity much like the NFL where they control conferences and products in order to beef up their subscriber fees. College sports is one of the most lucrative assets in terms of loyal fans, which means a more loyal subscriber base. Big companies and leagues have taken a "hands off" approach to NIL, but the day of the two figuring out a lucrative partnership that trickles down to schools and SAs is nearing. Remember, there's a clause in NIL contracts where SAs can't endorse a brand that conflicts with a school's business arrangements (maybe conferences as well, but I'm not 100%). What if a conference and major company agree to pay a QB/RB/LB to attend a member institution? That day is coming soon.

I think ultimately, college sports will end up being a pay for play model of some kind. It's bound to be a de facto pro league with ESPN and Fox leading the push.

For all of you non believers out there: