The widening gap of conference revenue streams

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UGA's academic reputation has very little to do with its athletic success.
It is primarily due to the HOPE scholarship which is keeping alot more of the best students in-state and they mostly end up at UGA. Their academic rankings went up while their football program was relatively stagnant in terms of performance.

GT as an institution has already largely made the decision that they are primarily a MIT, Cal Tech type school and that is largely who they see themselves competing against for students. For those that love GT sports, that tough to deal with, but iiwii.

Also, the APR still exists so if you start going the route of keeping someone eligible for one semester and then let them leave it will hit you eventually.
Academics are still an issue in recruiting, including portal recruiting, for GT. I know of at least 2 potential basketball transfers that went elsewhere because they would have had to take a bunch of classes to get eligible at GT due to what it would except as transfer credits. Not surprisingly those individuals chose other schools rather than GT. It is unlikely money would have changed that decision.
That sir is the reality of our situation. It will take an outstanding coach e.g. a Steve Spurrier type to make us competitive and it doesn't matter what system he runs. Those guys are few and far between but that's what we need. What we got now ain't it.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Does Miami end up in the BIG? I think so, lots and lots BIG alums in south FL, enormous TV mkt with or without BIG alums.
Looks to me like GTs future in major college FB long term only happens because we are located in the ATL and that is probably more desirable to BIG than SEC as they already have ATL market.
Saw something the other day that said one of the attractions to Lincoln Riley about USCw job - he was told they would end up in the BIG soon, LA tv mkt is what they want and I guess also USC would be considered the Flagship brand of PAC 12.
Does the BIG want ATL tv mkt bad enough to offer GT another chance?
It was of note to me that BIG took Rutgers in a more recent expansion, NY and NY city, Jersey tv markets were just too attractive $. I'm guessing some day both of them will field a BIG competitive team.
Does BIG come and get UNC, GT, Miami, no need for UVA, BIG already has N.VA, DC, Baltimore mkt with the Terps. Does the BIG also take Cal Berkeley, or Stanford, and also Washington for Seattle tv mkt? I'm guessing some or all of it happens and probably not too long.
When does BIG negotiate their new TV deals?
Would we like to play USC, Washington, Ohio State, MI etc. periodically? Does that fill BDS and MBS, I'm guessing yes it does.
Does major CFB end up with 2 major conferences, SEC and BIG?

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
That sir is the reality of our situation. It will take an outstanding coach e.g. a Steve Spurrier type to make us competitive and it doesn't matter what system he runs. Those guys are few and far between but that's what we need. What we got now ain't it.
Ding ding ding. We’ve always needed an above average coach who can do more with less and most of the time we are able to pull it off. We got a lemon in Coach Collins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would have joined the BIG10, but, on the other hand, what has that done for Maryland? Sure they get the TV money, but are they any closer to winning championships, conference or national? Do we want to be middle or low man on the totem pole, just for extra cash? Seems like we would be wasting more it.

What does Maryland have to do with our situation? How easily GT fans forget that we had one of college football's longest bowl streaks. We've been to 3 ACC championship games and two Orange Bowls under CPJ. We did it while ALWAYS working with one of the worst athletic budgets in P5. How much do you think an extra $20 million would help CPJ with hiring a good DC or get younger assistants that could recruiter better, and building out a recruiting staff like our peers in P5? Do you think we could hired someone other than Brian Gregory and given that new HC a better budget for assistants with an extra $20 million a year?

You're trying to equate a mismanaged Maryland program to what GT would do. Maryland had one of the worst managed athletic departments for a long time and they are still trying to recover from their last decade of mismanagement. If anything, Maryland is a preview of what GT will be like from our bad decisions.

The goal here isn't to win or compete for national championships like 'Bama/UGA/Ohio State every year. It's to compete and win 7-9 games a year, and have a special season every 3-4 years like 2009 and 2015. We did that under Chan Gailey! THAT has always been feasible for GT...and like I said, we did it with one of the smallest budgets in P5. With smart hires, and smart decisions, that is VERY feasible especially with an extra $20 million a year. You don't think GT can compete with Purdue/Illinois/Maryland/Rutgers/Michigan State/Indiana/Northwestern/Minnesotta/Nebraska? You don't think we can steal wins from Penn State/Michigan every few years? Ohio State may be a bit tougher to win against, but with a good coach and the right circumstance, we can definitely beat them every 4ish years...like we use to do against UGA.

You've missed the point about "extra cash". Extra cash doesn't make you better, but it helps erase mistakes faster or gives you better options. How much faster could we have erased the Hewitt buyout, or Gailey buyout? Do you think we could have done better than Brian Gregory or CGC with an extra $20 million. Because we had to be thrifty, it set both programs back probably a decade now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Does Miami end up in the BIG? I think so, lots and lots BIG alums in south FL, enormous TV mkt with or without BIG alums.
Looks to me like GTs future in major college FB long term only happens because we are located in the ATL and that is probably more desirable to BIG than SEC as they already have ATL market.
Saw something the other day that said one of the attractions to Lincoln Riley about USCw job - he was told they would end up in the BIG soon, LA tv mkt is what they want and I guess also USC would be considered the Flagship brand of PAC 12.
It was of note to me that BIG took Rutgers in a more recent expansion, NY and NY city, Jersey tv markets were just too attractive $. I'm guessing some day both of them will field a BIG competitive team.
Does BIG come and get UNC, GT, Miami, no need for UVA, BIG already has N.VA, DC, Baltimore mkt with the Terps. Does the BIG also take Cal Berkeley, or Stanford, and also Washington for Seattle tv mkt? I'm guessing some or all of it happens and probably not too long.
Would we like to play USC, Washington, Ohio State, MI etc. periodically? Does that fill BDS and MBS, I'm guessing yes it does.

Rumor is that DRad is the one that spearheaded GT's move and ultimately getting the invite to B1G. He left not because we turned down the B1G, but because he understood GT didn't want to do what was necessary for our programs to win. Where is DRad now? Miami. DRad is many things, but he's also one of the best ADs in terms of understanding the landscape and making preemptive moves to position his program to compete. The other rumor is Clemson will join the SEC once the media rights agreement with the ACC is expired. I don't think DRad wants to fight the battle in the SEC where it's becoming a free for all. The B1G at least has somewhat more decorum and a focus on academics among its members.

I'm nervous that GT has missed our opportunity. Media markets don't mean as much in the age of streaming. It's more about eyeballs now, and GT doesn't command that many eyeballs. My fear for GT is that we we've screwed ourselves twice: Leaving the SEC and turning down the B1G.

I'm certain of one thing, if GT remains in the ACC, we're more likely going to become an FCS level program once the college sports becomes the SEC and B1G and everyone else.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Rumor is that DRad is the one that spearheaded GT's move and ultimately getting the invite to B1G. He left not because we turned down the B1G, but because he understood GT didn't want to do what was necessary for our programs to win. Where is DRad now? Miami. DRad is many things, but he's also one of the best ADs in terms of understanding the landscape and making preemptive moves to position his program to compete. The other rumor is Clemson will join the SEC once the media rights agreement with the ACC is expired. I don't think DRad wants to fight the battle in the SEC where it's becoming a free for all. The B1G at least has somewhat more decorum and a focus on academics among its members.

I'm nervous that GT has missed our opportunity. Media markets don't mean as much in the age of streaming. It's more about eyeballs now, and GT doesn't command that many eyeballs. My fear for GT is that we we've screwed ourselves twice: Leaving the SEC and turning down the B1G.

I'm certain of one thing, if GT remains in the ACC, we're more likely going to become an FCS level program once the college sports becomes the SEC and B1G and everyone else.
All this is going on while we owe 200,000,000 long term debt which we only make interest payments. With the New Edge center we have significant donor pledges.
Without TV money and this debt how will we compete in FCS that raise $ to pay the players who pretend to go to class.

It's either we start raising money for coaches and players ( championship fund) or we just fade away

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All this is going on while we owe 200,000,000 long term debt which we only make interest payments. With the New Edge center we have significant donor pledges.
Without TV money and this debt how will we compete in FCS that raise $ to pay the players who pretend to go to class.

It's either we start raising money for coaches and players ( championship fund) or we just fade away

Yup...which makes an extra $20+ million, and a projected $50+ in the next couple of decades, mean even more. Imagine if we could operate with that extra $20-$50+ million, AND still get the money we wasted buying contracts of coaches we had to fire.

Way too many GT fans are being short sighted and not understanding that having a guaranteed $20-50+ million a year can help the program in exponential ways. Think of how much easier we could breath with the hundreds of millions we've lost over the last 2 decades, and how being short on money has impacted the decisions we've made (see: Brian Gregory, Josh Pastner, Geoff Collins).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The eyeballs thing is certainly a factor. But I’m not sure that would be the driving factor.

Every B1G school would love to tell prospective HS recruits in GA “come to our school and you’ll get to play at home in front of your family every two years”. Same reason every school in the P12 and northern schools in the ACC deeply desire (need?) an away game at a Southern California or Florida school every 2 years.

That, combined with GT’s academic fit with the B1G, isn’t going away no matter how much we flounder in the near-term.

Perhaps that’s all wishful thinking, but it’s something I’ve long understood to be true well before we got ourselves into the current situation.

slugboy

Staff member
If we had gone to the B1G
  • We’d have threads on this board saying “why isn’t the stadium full? Wasn’t the B1G membership supposed to fill our stadium with Nebraska fans?”
  • We’d have threads saying “we should have held out for the SEC—they’re making more money and they would have taken us”
  • We’d have threads saying “we should have stayed in the ACC. It’s weak and the championship is there for the taking”
  • We’d have threads saying “we have no traditional rivals in the B1G. It’s all made up here and we don’t fit”.
I still think we’d be better off financially and that it would have been the right move for us.

But, we’d still be griping here.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
  • We’d have threads on this board saying “why isn’t the stadium full? Wasn’t the B1G membership supposed to fill our stadium with Nebraska fans?”
  • We’d have threads saying “we should have held out for the SEC—they’re making more money and they would have taken us”
  • We’d have threads saying “we should have stayed in the ACC. It’s weak and the championship is there for the taking”
  • We’d have threads saying “we have no traditional rivals in the B1G. It’s all made up here and we don’t fit”.
I still think we’d be better off financially and that it would have been the right move for us.

Don’t forget the “Fire Geoff Collins” thread

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer

Money talks, and I promise you more people would rather watch us play Nebraksa or Iowa then Duke or Wake Forrest.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

We woud only get intot eh BIG on the reasearch side of it. That research alliance is very attractive to them.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ll give Collins credit. He has definitely put us in a position to be considered again for the BIG as we are way more attractive now.

We are in Atlanta to give them an in with local Georgia talent. We run a vanilla offense that no one has to prepare for. We are an easy road win and we fit the bill as a snooty academic school who hides behind losses by talking about academic rankings. Maybe that has been TStan’s plan all along.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll give Collins credit. He has definitely put us in a position to be considered again for the BIG as we are way more attractive now.

We are in Atlanta to give them an in with local Georgia talent. We run a vanilla offense that no one has to prepare for. We are an easy road win and we fit the bill as a snooty academic school who hides behind losses by talking about academic rankings. Maybe that has been TStan’s plan

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Money talks, and I promise you more people would rather watch us play Nebraksa or Iowa then Duke or Wake Forrest.
Not really sure on Duke. People have been plenty adamant in keeping Duke as a permanent rival in the potential 3-5-5 model. While it is never a big game, due to neither team usually being all that relevant, it is a game fans seem to enjoy.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

We are in Atlanta to give them an in with local Georgia talent. We run a vanilla offense that no one has to prepare for. We are an easy road win and we fit the bill as a snooty academic school who hides behind losses by talking about academic rankings. Maybe that has been TStan’s plan all along.
I call that a developmental program

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think maybe the BIG10, ACC, Pac10 and BIG12 (and ND) should just combine into one massive conference to compete against the SEC. should have some serious negotiating power with ESPN and then distribute the money equally among members. Split it into 4 subconferences, keep all the ooc games in-house but into other regions and have a mini playoff system to determine the Conf champ, then play the SEC champ for the natty.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think maybe the BIG10, ACC, Pac10 and BIG12 (and ND) should just combine into one massive conference to compete against the SEC. should have some serious negotiating power with ESPN and then distribute the money equally among members. Split it into 4 subconferences, keep all the ooc games in-house but into other regions and have a mini playoff system to determine the Conf champ, then play the SEC champ for the natty.
Why would the Big 10 want to do that, the other 3 yes but the Big 10 makes good money.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Why would the Big 10 want to do that, the other 3 yes but the Big 10 makes good money.
I honestly don’t know I don’t have an answer to that, maybe they never would.......or maybe if the SEC starts dominating the playoff selections and the BIG gets frustrated about getting left out, or if espn starts trying to reduce their money on the next contract negotiation? Maybe the BiG decides to bypass espn all-together and build a nationwide version of the BIG network....Who knows?