The Vote of Confidence is in...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As much of a fan of the 3O as I am, I think this is 100% correct. Someone somewhere will try it again for good reason, but they will hesitate based on our experience so far (Right or wrong).
Let me preface this by saying I am not a conspiracy person. At all. But it always appeared to me that coaches in the ACC were willing to help each other against the flex bone option attack and even tacitly agreed with attempts to legislate away some of the advantages of the system. Playing that offense was a huge inconvenience win or lose against it because of lost preparation time to deal with other teams. I think every coach in the ACC is glad CGC is at Tech now.

Put another way, I think there is a lot of institutional resistance to this offense in college football because it is so darn inconvenient to deal with when it shows up on your team’s schedule. There is always a “group effort” to talk it out of existence

Cutcliffe was willing to sacrifice some of his other games just to have extra time to prepare for Tech even as he repeated publicly in the media that if you wanted to play pro ball you should come to Duke.

People who play against this offense hate it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with Wes, but I don’t have to like it.

Attachments

• 0B53FB0C-A7E7-4FE0-80C9-086188B59D29.jpeg
    0B53FB0C-A7E7-4FE0-80C9-086188B59D29.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 44

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the UGA game and you could see the frustration in his face and demeanor on the sideline. We were totally outmatched by superior size and speed. It was like he realized it just wasn't working for him anymore. He is a very competitive person and he realized he couldn't compete at the highest levels. He coached for a long time with a lot of successes at different places. He is gone now so time to move on. He did. We have a new guy. He will either succeed or he won't. Time will tell.
You will never convince me that PJ left due to anything on the field or directly associated with it. I firmly believe he got sick and tired of dealing with boosters and others withholding resources due to his offense and decided to hang it up. At the end, it was time for him to go.

I would love to see the slightly evolved tripple on the flats, but I just don't see it happening. I think Tech needs an identity to have success and the 3O is my personal favorite, but there are other systems that would work.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ was on record saying that he gave TS a heads up a couple of weeks before he announced it publicly.

Yeah, I believe both CPJ and TS confirmed CPJ had a meeting with TS around Week 4 about it and TS told him to give it the rest of the season to think about it and confirm if he really was done. He did just that at the end of the regular season.

Vandy has had serious discussions about going to the TO. The only big “name” in P5 that I could see doing it would be Nebraska simply because of the historical significance it has for them, the boosters and fans may be more opened to it. Plus Nebraska has stunk for awhile. What else do they have to lose lol

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I believe both CPJ and TS confirmed CPJ had a meeting with TS around Week 4 about it and TS told him to give it the rest of the season to think about it and confirm if he really was done. He did just that at the end of the regular season.

Vandy has had serious discussions about going to the TO. The only big “name” in P5 that I could see doing it would be Nebraska simply because of the historical significance it has for them, the boosters and fans may be more opened to it. Plus Nebraska has stunk for awhile. What else do they have to lose lol
There are a whole bunch of teams around the country that could say the same thing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I watched the PJ retirement presser just a couple of days ago on YouTube. Hadn't meant to but it autostarted and I watched it. It was interesting to hear it again. I am sure there were some things left unsaid but he was pretty honest about a lot of his reasons. One had been a dislike of our mystery AD that never seemed to be around. Said he had been thinking about retirement for a couple of years. He was complementary of DRad and TStan. I think that Uga loss was the final straw.