The Varsity

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Serious question, doesn't a hotdog come with chili unless otherwise specified? Therefore, I'm not sure what a chilidog is? If you want a normal hotdog, you have say "naked dog," am I right?

Nevermind, it's called a chilidog on the menu. But a hotdog is called a "naked dog."

Here ya go boys:

20110129-americas-best-hot-dog-varsity-atlanta.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

17430.jpg

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Serious question, doesn't a hotdog come with chili unless otherwise specified? Therefore, I'm not sure what a chilidog is? If you want a normal hotdog, you have say "naked dog," am I right?

Nevermind, it's called a chilidog on the menu. But a hotdog is called a "naked dog."

Here ya go boys:

thumb_600.jpg

17430.jpg

Dang, I'm glad I've already had dinner tonight!!! I got the Town Center one within 5 minutes but it's just not the same! It'll do in a pinch but every time I go there I kick myself for not driving to North Avenue!

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope theyve fired some staff. I went there after fan day and waited 45mins in line! Kids begged for Varsity and after waiting in line I hated to say no. Horrible service that day.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Here ya go boys:

thumb_600.jpg

17430.jpg

God, I remember the stomach aches form eating that. But for some reason I keep doing it whenever we've in town.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Here ya go boys:

thumb_600.jpg

17430.jpg
It's called a "nekkid" dog. Don't you know how to say that correctly?:)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You know you can order Varsity chili on line? ;)

Castleberry hot dog "sauce" isn't bad but it's better than nothing and you should be able to find it locally. Fried pies? Find one of your church grandmothers, I bet you can find one who the trick!

What I've never be able to duplicate is a FO, I've tried the recipes on line but it's just not the same. And lord help trying to find as good a chocolate milk as a PC!
When I was 15 years old I worked a summer job at the Varsity. I dipped ice cream and flipped burgers. Even with that experience, I cannot make an FO that conjures the memory of that taste.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My wife's uncle told this story for years. He was a New England guy who came to Atlanta to visit his Southern relatives. On a trip to the Varsity, he got the, "What'll ya have, what'll ya have" routine. In the face of the order taker's impatience, his reply was, "I'll have you wait a goddamn minute." With the emphasis a WWII Marine could provide. But, in their defense, the sign said, "Have your order in mind and your money in hand."

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Some of us do not view this uga guy as all that great.

He's one of the few I can forgive for that, he was such a wonderful writer and you couldn't ask for a better story teller to have a drink or three with ;) I raised one or two glasses with him at Harrison's on P'tree lo those many years ago! He was, without doubt, one of the funniest persons I've ever known and, man, did he love his bar b q!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He's one of the few I can forgive for that, he was such a wonderful writer and you couldn't ask for a better story teller to have a drink or three with ;) I raised one or two glasses with him at Harrison's on P'tree lo those many years ago! He was, without doubt, one of the funniest persons I've ever known and, man, did he love his bar b q!
As far as you have gone, I agree 100%. I met him and shared a beer or two. But we never talked sports, just his humor. His book,"They Tore My Heart out..." was my dad's favorite.