The Toothpaste Thread | cousins may fight, but the Yellow Jacket family sticks together

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To add, and I’ll tread lightly, I don’t think anyone is particularly impressed with our football hires outside of GT fans. It’s not too difficult to hire guys with high school titles or who won titles in non-coaching roles. Even Al Groh’s Super Bowl ring didn’t move the needle.

The basketball hires, especially Hobbs, has probably earned as much national pub as our football hires combined, if not more.

Italian Spiderman Mind Blown GIF

I dont even know you anymore, CuseJ.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To add, and I’ll tread lightly, I don’t think anyone is particularly impressed with our football hires outside of GT fans. It’s not too difficult to hire guys with high school titles or who won titles in non-coaching roles. Even Al Groh’s Super Bowl ring didn’t move the needle.

The basketball hires, especially Hobbs, has probably earned as much national pub as our football hires combined, if not more.

You might need lessons in tripping the light fantastic.

FWIW, I agree with you that the basketball coaching staff hiring appears to better than football. I also believe Coach Key is going to turn around the Football Program. Please don’t bad mouth CBK, Cuse.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

So we’ve gotten to the point where we have to belittle the coaching hires of one GT team in order to prop up the coaching hires of another GT team. Am I missing something?

(PS I am very happy with the hiring of Coach Damon and the assistants he’s bringing in)

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I will acknowledge, for the poster that I was responding to (who, to be clear, asked if we even made hires for basketball in a thread that discusses those hires), perhaps I should have let the uninformed characterization that there is no buzz around the basketball staff speak for itself. In the moment, I thought that was closer to a shot at GT staff than my own response.

I think folks are overly sensitive and I disagree that I was belittling. I never said the football coaches were bad hires. I frankly have no clue and think it's TBD. I am trying to articulate that no one on a national level was particularly impressed. Whereas, our new AHC for basketball has gotten a lot of buzz.

Even though I don't value the stat as much, I like that our SID is pushing the narrative around titles won for the football guys. I'd rather them be associated with winning than not. There aren't a lot of other stats to promote for them in the absence of that.
I agree that you have no clue.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that you have no clue.
Thanks. Nor does anyone else here.

Good news is we have two HCs who know more than all of us combined.

On the topic of buzz generated by the hires, I stand by what I said. Basketball has generated more buzz. And, in my opinion, that's because of their track record in the coaching positions they've assumed.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me clean it up for him, a little.

It’s not necessarily that our FB staff wasn’t terribly impressive nationally, it’s that there weren’t really any talking heads or pundants lauding the hires. There wasn’t a lot of air time dedicated to discussing Key building his staff. No one was out there saying “I’m not impressed,” but neither were they saying “ooo…did you see that Brent Key brought on CXXXX? Awesome hire!”

I agree with @CuseJacket in that we don’t know how this staff is going to perform. We’re ALL excited to see GT return to winning ways and are hopeful this group of coaches are going to get us there.
Who cares? Plus the idea that GT fans, of all people, are irrationally exuberant about anything is absurd on the surface. We may not be the most miserable fans but we certainly are in contention.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who cares? Plus the idea that GT fans, of all people, are irrationally exuberant about anything is absurd on the surface. We may not be the most miserable fans but we certainly are in contention.

I've found that GT has fans from both sides of the spectrum from irrationally exuberant, to negatively miserable. Most fall in between. The crappy part is the negative ones usually have the biggest bullhorn.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Imagine if I hit them with a GT 3-on-3 basketball trophy, or my Super Tecmo Bowl championships.

Damn sure not going to talk about being lead assistant (read: LEAD) to a U6 division-winning soccer squad.

It ain't easy being on top.
I won the Piscataway t-ball championship when I was nine years old. I also won my fantasy football league in 2007 when I went undefeated in both the regular season and playoffs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Who cares?
Safe to say, more care about my opinion than I do.
Plus the idea that GT fans, of all people, are irrationally exuberant about anything is absurd on the surface. We may not be the most miserable fans but we certainly are in contention.
I'll bow out and save folks the horror. Unless this is my nomination for being 'miserable'. Then I'd like to see my resume.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Safe to say, more care about my opinion than I do.

I'll bow out and save folks the horror. Unless this is my nomination for being 'miserable'. Then I'd like to see my resume.

You wanna step down and appoint me admin, in your brief absence? I promise not to make any drastic changes....

Evil Smile GIF

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You wanna step down and appoint me admin, in your brief absence? I promise not to make any drastic changes....

Evil Smile GIF
Is this what an insurrection feels like? Vote of no confidence?

Or, Les Misérables!? Please acknowledge me as 'King' at least one time before the beheading.