The Thing I Hate The Most

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a sidewalk fan, I went to college at UNA (University of North Alabama), but, I have loved Georgia Tech since I was 10 years old. I have been loyal and stuck with Tech through thick and thin for 62 years (I'm 72). I went to the game Saturday and took a friend and it was embarrassing, depressing, and even though I had mustered up some enthusiasm (not much), that game took all the wind out of my sails. What I hate the most is when I wear my Georgia Tech hats and gear people look at me with pity and amusement. I can read their minds, their eyes say 'You Fool, your team is a joke, why are you doing this to yourself. Over the years I have bought multiple season tickets and have taken friends and relatives to games to try to add to the fan base. Georgia Tech has a storied legacy in football and I am so sorry to see it slipping into obscurity, it breaks my heart. I have worked with Georgia Tech engineers for 40 years in Aviation Technical Support, they are the best of the best. If the Georgia Tech Administration thinks that sports are not important and an extracurricular nuisance then I give up, I'm gone. This article may have already been posted, but I feel the same way the guy who wrote it.

GTweatherguy

Georgia Tech Fan
Appreciate your words and have a great deal of respect for your tenure as a fan. I myself am an alumna, now a fan for 20 years and I too have wondered during these 4 years whether I’m better off finding another college football team to follow so that I can enjoy fall football again. These last years since CPJ ‘retired’ have been so demoralizing and the lack of accountability on the admin and athletic side of the house has me greatly concerned that the message being sent is ‘we no longer care’. I too wonder when you reach that point as a fan when you know it’s time to cut ties?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am a sidewalk fan, I went to college at UNA (University of North Alabama), but, I have loved Georgia Tech since I was 10 years old. I have been loyal and stuck with Tech through thick and thin for 62 years (I'm 72). I went to the game Saturday and took a friend and it was embarrassing, depressing, and even though I had mustered up some enthusiasm (not much), that game took all the wind out of my sails. What I hate the most is when I wear my Georgia Tech hats and gear people look at me with pity and amusement. I can read their minds, their eyes say 'You Fool, your team is a joke, why are you doing this to yourself. Over the years I have bought multiple season tickets and have taken friends and relatives to games to try to add to the fan base. Georgia Tech has a storied legacy in football and I am so sorry to see it slipping into obscurity, it breaks my heart. I have worked with Georgia Tech engineers for 40 years in Aviation Technical Support, they are the best of the best. If the Georgia Tech Administration thinks that sports are not important and an extracurricular nuisance then I give up, I'm gone. This article may have already been posted, but I feel the same way the guy who wrote it.

Keep the faith my friend. It will get better...makes you appreciate all the seasons we won even more. My first year following GT we won the National Championship in football, and our basketball team made the Final Four. As a kid, I just thought that's how it would be forever for GT...oh naive little human!

I'm in my 40's now. I've seen far more good times than bad times for GT sports. For the most part, GT has just been average to good. The past 3 seasons are an aberration...I truly believe that. When we win regularly again, it's going to make it even sweeter. That day will come soon, but sometimes you have to swallow the dry meatloaf before you get to have ice cream. This is one of those times.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you. I was thinking about going to the game with Ole Miss; they're my third favorite team after Tech and Mississippi State. I'm a season ticket holder and have been for 27 years. I decided not to go and I'm glad I did. I'm probably not going to another game as long as Collins is coach. If he is retained, I won't purchase season tickets next year.

I'm that disappointed and frustrated. Tech football has been a major part of my life. It has been a major part of my family's life for decades. Now it is something to be ashamed of. I never thought I'd write those words. Now I'm forced to.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have noticed something similar. It makes you feel like you aren't really even in the game anymore. Many people that I used to talk to frequently about college football now pretty much steer clear of the subject. I guess they don't want to bring up a sore point. This is really prevalent with UGA fans. They don't trash talk, game talk, or even give sympathy talk anymore. They just don't talk about it at all. I think people in a way are pretty surprised how far we have fallen and don't really know what to say about it.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wore my Tech hat to my nieces bd party yesterday and got laughed at. I've lived among mutt fans my whole life so it's nothing new but I feel like an outcast more than ever!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was at the game with my group of GT buddies. We all got out in 81 or 82. We get together for a game about every other year or so. None of us live in the ATL. We have not been to a game since the COVID thing. We picked this game 2 years ago due to the novelty of an SEC team. All of us arrived Friday and had drinks then dinner. The next day we enjoyed perfect weather and great tailgating at Peters Park. We got on campus around noon.

What I noticed the most going into the game was the subdued atmosphere. People were enjoying the weather, the cockatils, the snacks, the fellowship, etc. But the pegame electricity that used to exist whenever a "big name" or ranked opponent was coming into town wasn't there. It was a Wimbledon or Masters crowd - polite, respectful, quiet. I had thought going into this game that we could compete with them. Even my Ole Miss friends were unsure of what they had and weren't quite anticipating such an easy win. But all the season ticket holders around our tailgate didn't have any sense that we MIGHT upset this team and it was apparent. They have seen this up close and personal. I had not.

The first drive was jaw dropping. It was like watching the JV scrimmage the varsity. The blocked punt was beyond belief. We all left in the early 3rd quarter. Over drinks and dinner that night, we have decided to move our reunions to different locales and not have them be around football games. It's time to move on.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I have noticed something similar. It makes you feel like you aren't really even in the game anymore. Many people that I used to talk to frequently about college football now pretty much steer clear of the subject. I guess they don't want to bring up a sore point. This is really prevalent with UGA fans. They don't trash talk, game talk, or even give sympathy talk anymore. They just don't talk about it at all. I think people in a way are pretty surprised how far we have fallen and don't really know what to say about it.
This. My mutt friends just kinda look embarrassed for me and change the subject. Even THEY can't get pleasure out of our State at this point, it is just that fu**ing bad.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand and appreciate all of the points of view in this thread. I am a sidewalk fan and have been a season ticket holder for 30 years. This is obviously the worst it has ever been and could ever be for Tech fans. I have also decided not to go to another game until Collins is gone. But I have to believe if they can cut ties with Collins, there is hope to get back to respectability. One day in the not too distant future it will be fun to tailgate and go to games at BDS again. Hang in there.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Wore my Tech hat to my nieces bd party yesterday and got laughed at. I've lived among mutt fans my whole life so it's nothing new but I feel like an outcast more than ever!
I havent found them to be laughing, the ones I've encountered feel sorry for us. I had several of my mutt friends text me Saturday asking how he is still coaching. Whats they buyout? (I think they wanted to help pay it) and just im sorry man. I'd rather them laugh than take pity.

UCF will be a tough game. Then at Pitt will be a disaster. How do we as a fan base respond on 10/8 vs duke? Do we not show up (already bought my ticket so im there)? Do we not make any purchases whatsoever on game day, in bookstore, stadium, wreck fest? How do we convey that now is the time to make a change? Do we buy CGC and his family a week-long pass for universal or wdw and hope he just stays in Orlando?

I've defended the team and found positives in games because I've been there as both a player and coach of horrible seasons. But never back to back, much less what we have now. I dont have it in me anymore. They have zapped it. Is "they" the players or coaches? Yes. Now the players that were interviewed post game did what they could. But not having your 3rd year starter at qb available speaks volumes. Collins should have pulled a saban (who he's coached for) and just go off. Who cares if you throw the team under the bus, I mean 42-0 kinda says it anyway. Come out and say "its ******* horrible they way we played. I apologize and starting right now, every position is ******* open. Not for the best player but for the player thats gonna bust through a brick wall for the Institute. No questions." Had he done that, I would have felt so much better. But he won't. He can't. Its not his personality, which is fine. But Dabo figured out a way to get better coaches to cover for his awe shucks personality.

Go Tech. Ill be in section 121 for the rest of the year, despite the 6 hour round trip and the head coach.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I havent found them to be laughing, the ones I've encountered feel sorry for us. I had several of my mutt friends text me Saturday asking how he is still coaching. Whats they buyout? (I think they wanted to help pay it) and just im sorry man. I'd rather them laugh than take pity.

UCF will be a tough game. Then at Pitt will be a disaster. How do we as a fan base respond on 10/8 vs duke? Do we not show up (already bought my ticket so im there)? Do we not make any purchases whatsoever on game day, in bookstore, stadium, wreck fest? How do we convey that now is the time to make a change? Do we buy CGC and his family a week-long pass for universal or wdw and hope he just stays in Orlando?

I've defended the team and found positives in games because I've been there as both a player and coach of horrible seasons. But never back to back, much less what we have now. I dont have it in me anymore. They have zapped it. Is "they" the players or coaches? Yes. Now the players that were interviewed post game did what they could. But not having your 3rd year starter at qb available speaks volumes. Collins should have pulled a saban (who he's coached for) and just go off. Who cares if you throw the team under the bus, I mean 42-0 kinda says it anyway. Come out and say "its ******* horrible they way we played. I apologize and starting right now, every position is ******* open. Not for the best player but for the player thats gonna bust through a brick wall for the Institute. No questions." Had he done that, I would have felt so much better. But he won't. He can't. Its not his personality, which is fine. But Dabo figured out a way to get better coaches to cover for his awe shucks personality.

I have seen guys like Coach Collins before in my career. Men who were in over their heads big time and had moved up to a level beyond their capabilities. I think you are very kind here...it's not his personality that keeps him from going off (imo). It's just the fact that he DOESN"T know what to DO. Therefore, he doesn't know what to SAY.

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind that he truly did want to be succesful here. I don't question that for one second. I think it was just too big of a job for him. It doesn't make him a bad guy. As I said, we have all seen this play out in our careers as well. Heck, I see it as a HS teacher now....the kids who want to be in the AP courses but aren't capable of doing that level of work (but think they can). Read about the Dunning Kruger effect if you are not familiar with it...it summarizes things pretty well regarding people who are self unaware about their own capabilities.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Fellas,,, I made it until 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter… Then took off for the 2.5 hour trip to Tennessee. It’s sad, but what I’m holding on to is what’s happened at Tennessee , my second favorite team! After some years of disarray, they seem to be back! Likewise, the Hogs (Ark) have turned it around! I know,,, more money, yadda, yadda,,,But the point is, with luck, GT can bring football back to success… Time will tell & fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I took this picture at the Varsity 40 minutes before kick-off......A barometer of fan enthusiasm?
1663635034831.jpeg

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Once we get a competent coach it will be what it has always been about - fielding an average defense and finding a QB. We haven’t had a college caliber QB since Thomas. We’ll easily find a coach who wants to be in Atlanta and can teach the proper way to block and can evaluate real talent. Then with the portal our avenue to find a real QB gets a whole lot easier. Don’t let what we’ve seen the last 4 years cloud reality. Reality is outside of the top 7-8 programs all it takes to be decent is an average defense and an above average QB. We can get there fairly quickly once everything is disinfected.

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll jump in. I have a 12 year old son who follows the same sports teams I do so naturally he has become a Tech fan. I almost feel like I am dooming him to a life of sports misery. His friends look at him with a blank stare when he tells them he loves GT football. He is so innocently optimistic and upbeat but he wonders what is wrong and why the team doesn't win. Soul crushing to me...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I have seen guys like Coach Collins before in my career. Men who were in over their heads big time and had moved up to a level beyond their capabilities. I think you are very kind here...it's not his personality that keeps him from going off (imo). It's just the fact that he DOESN"T know what to DO. Therefore, he doesn't know what to SAY.

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind that he truly did want to be succesful here. I don't question that for one second. I think it was just too big of a job for him. It doesn't make him a bad guy. As I said, we have all seen this play out in our careers as well. Heck, I see it as a HS teacher now....the kids who want to be in the AP courses but aren't capable of doing that level of work (but think they can). Read about the Dunning Kruger effect if you are not familiar with it...it summarizes things pretty well regarding people who are self unaware about their own capabilities.
Can it be we're in diffferent places? He & Stansbury are stuck at the peak of Mount Stupid and we're all stuck in the Valley of Despair?

1663637788993.jpeg