The Thing I Hate The Most

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I'll jump in. I have a 12 year old son who follows the same sports teams I do so naturally he has become a Tech fan. I almost feel like I am dooming him to a life of sports misery. His friends look at him with a blank stare when he tells them he loves GT football. He is so innocently optimistic and upbeat but he wonders what is wrong and why the team doesn't win. Soul crushing to me...
Reminds me of an old Waylon & Willie song:

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be engineers.
Don't let 'em play with calculators or derive them equations...
Send 'em to Georgia for four-year vacations.
Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be engineers.
They're never at home, and they're always alone
Reading a textbook they love.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am a sidewalk fan, I went to college at UNA (University of North Alabama), but, I have loved Georgia Tech since I was 10 years old. I have been loyal and stuck with Tech through thick and thin for 62 years (I'm 72). I went to the game Saturday and took a friend and it was embarrassing, depressing, and even though I had mustered up some enthusiasm (not much), that game took all the wind out of my sails. What I hate the most is when I wear my Georgia Tech hats and gear people look at me with pity and amusement. I can read their minds, their eyes say 'You Fool, your team is a joke, why are you doing this to yourself. Over the years I have bought multiple season tickets and have taken friends and relatives to games to try to add to the fan base. Georgia Tech has a storied legacy in football and I am so sorry to see it slipping into obscurity, it breaks my heart. I have worked with Georgia Tech engineers for 40 years in Aviation Technical Support, they are the best of the best. If the Georgia Tech Administration thinks that sports are not important and an extracurricular nuisance then I give up, I'm gone. This article may have already been posted, but I feel the same way the guy who wrote it.

Not surprised and understandable. I left a game before 00:00:00 for only the second time in my life last weekend.

That said, for some reason I felt great putting on my GT gear on Sunday. Maybe it’s because it helps prove I’m not a front runner, unlike many dwag, Bama, Auburn and other fans. Maybe it's because I'm asking for attention and seeing if anyone wants to have an actual conversation. Maybe it's to show that there's more to GT than just sports.

Not really sure, but I’m proud to wear the GT and have amped it up 10x. I live in greater ATL as well, so I fully recognize the risk that comes with it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll jump in. I have a 12 year old son who follows the same sports teams I do so naturally he has become a Tech fan. I almost feel like I am dooming him to a life of sports misery. His friends look at him with a blank stare when he tells them he loves GT football. He is so innocently optimistic and upbeat but he wonders what is wrong and why the team doesn't win. Soul crushing to me...
Love it. Keep it going. You're raising him right, imo.

My 4-year-old joined for the game on Saturday. He still thinks everything surrounding the game is fascinating - The Wreck, Buzz, etc.

He particularly enjoyed the team entrance and the fireworks that sprayed out of Wardlaw. Of course, it didn't strike me as a problem at that time when I told him "you'll see those fireworks again when we score". :banghead:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My GT game gear is on every game day win or lose.

We are going through a really bad time now - worse than the BL era has that really only bottomed out for one year - this has been consistently bad for over 3 years.
But it will come to an end, likely after the UGA game, and we can look forward to rebuilding into something more positive.

It may be just me but as i've gotten older sports in general don't mean as much in my life. In my 20's and 30's I would live and die by my team. I'm now at a point where if they win, great, if they lose i'm upset for 15 min and then I get on with my life to more important things.

I'll be honest, other than the Clemson game to open this season, i've just been completely emotionally detached from the FB team for the last 1/2 year. I wasn't even upset we lost to ND, UGA, Ole Miss by the margins we did, just sort of numb to it. I'll still cheer hard for the team, but I don't have any big expectations right now.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I am a sidewalk fan, I went to college at UNA (University of North Alabama), but, I have loved Georgia Tech since I was 10 years old. I have been loyal and stuck with Tech through thick and thin for 62 years (I'm 72). I went to the game Saturday and took a friend and it was embarrassing, depressing, and even though I had mustered up some enthusiasm (not much), that game took all the wind out of my sails. What I hate the most is when I wear my Georgia Tech hats and gear people look at me with pity and amusement. I can read their minds, their eyes say 'You Fool, your team is a joke, why are you doing this to yourself. Over the years I have bought multiple season tickets and have taken friends and relatives to games to try to add to the fan base. Georgia Tech has a storied legacy in football and I am so sorry to see it slipping into obscurity, it breaks my heart. I have worked with Georgia Tech engineers for 40 years in Aviation Technical Support, they are the best of the best. If the Georgia Tech Administration thinks that sports are not important and an extracurricular nuisance then I give up, I'm gone. This article may have already been posted, but I feel the same way the guy who wrote it.

I'm in a similar boat. I grew up near the Atlanta area until I was about 10 years old. My dad spent most of his life in Atlanta until he moved late in high school, so he passed down his love of GT sports to me. He took me to my first game (that I actually remember) in 1997 as a 6 year old when we lost a close game to UNC. I was hooked and got to see a lot of good games over the next 15+ years. My dad and I had season tickets for several years even after our family moved to north Alabama. After giving up on season tickets once I got older and we had less time on the weekends we still always tried to make it to 1-2 big games a year and we got together to watch almost every other game on TV. Over the last few years since CGC took over neither of us can muster up too much passion about the team because neither of us went to GT for school. I went to UAH and then UNA for grad school, so I have been following Alabama (UAH alum) and Auburn more as my fiancé graduated from Auburn. I want to revive the passion for GT, but as I've gone to Alabama and Auburn games more over the last 2-3 years, and tailgated with friends, its a totally different spectacle. Those GOL years and early CPJ days were really exciting for a kid in elementary and middle school, and I always thought I would get back closer toward Atlanta and get season tickets again, but with no academic ties to tech it is really hard to imagine asking my fiancé and one day children to go see a half empty stadium when their parents have academic ties to SEC schools that really care about sports. Alabama and Auburn both have an enormous amount of sidewalk fans, which pays big dividends for their schools, until GT realizes that spending money on sports could actually help the school in other areas, I don't know that they will ever get back to those glory days. It's sad to watch.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Fellas,,, I made it until 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter… Then took off for the 2.5 hour trip to Tennessee. It’s sad, but what I’m holding on to is what’s happened at Tennessee , my second favorite team! After some years of disarray, they seem to be back! Likewise, the Hogs (Ark) have turned it around! I know,,, more money, yadda, yadda,,,But the point is, with luck, GT can bring football back to success… Time will tell & fingers crossed!
It would appear that Tennessee's new coach has made all the difference. What's his name? But this is a proud program coming out of a decade long slide to irreverence. Between the two of them, Butch and Derek just about killed that program. Geoff did not need any help.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I havent found them to be laughing, the ones I've encountered feel sorry for us. I had several of my mutt friends text me Saturday asking how he is still coaching. Whats they buyout? (I think they wanted to help pay it) and just im sorry man. I'd rather them laugh than take pity.

UCF will be a tough game. Then at Pitt will be a disaster. How do we as a fan base respond on 10/8 vs duke? Do we not show up (already bought my ticket so im there)? Do we not make any purchases whatsoever on game day, in bookstore, stadium, wreck fest? How do we convey that now is the time to make a change? Do we buy CGC and his family a week-long pass for universal or wdw and hope he just stays in Orlando?

I've defended the team and found positives in games because I've been there as both a player and coach of horrible seasons. But never back to back, much less what we have now. I dont have it in me anymore. They have zapped it. Is "they" the players or coaches? Yes. Now the players that were interviewed post game did what they could. But not having your 3rd year starter at qb available speaks volumes. Collins should have pulled a saban (who he's coached for) and just go off. Who cares if you throw the team under the bus, I mean 42-0 kinda says it anyway. Come out and say "its ******* horrible they way we played. I apologize and starting right now, every position is ******* open. Not for the best player but for the player thats gonna bust through a brick wall for the Institute. No questions." Had he done that, I would have felt so much better. But he won't. He can't. Its not his personality, which is fine. But Dabo figured out a way to get better coaches to cover for his awe shucks personality.

Go Tech. Ill be in section 121 for the rest of the year, despite the 6 hour round trip and the head coach.
You would have appreciated Spurrier back in the day. The Gators would kick the crap out of Vanderbilt or Kentucky and he would let the air out of that balloon in a New York second on the post game show. He would mock the players as the "mighty Gators" and make the most clever jibes at individuals that obviously needed to be taken down a peg. He NEVER had to do that with Tebow, Weurfel, or Fred Taylor. His mantra was take care of business and save your bragging for your girl friend. Worked for him and was funny to the fans who loved to hear him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not surprised and understandable. I left a game before 00:00:00 for only the second time in my life last weekend.

That said, for some reason I felt great putting on my GT gear on Sunday. Maybe it’s because it helps prove I’m not a front runner, unlike many dwag, Bama, Auburn and other fans. Maybe it's because I'm asking for attention and seeing if anyone wants to have an actual conversation. Maybe it's to show that there's more to GT than just sports.

Not really sure, but I’m proud to wear the GT and have amped it up 10x. I live in greater ATL as well, so I fully recognize the risk that comes with it.
It could be that you secretly enjoy the abuse. I wear Tech stuff when jogging near my mother in laws' house in south Alabama on holidays. The stares I get are priceless. It is as if a Martian has landed in Monroeville. Her family is divided between Auburn and Tide fans. They always ask me before the Iron Bowl who I am pulling for. My answer is always the same: "Its a shame both of them can't lose".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It would appear that Tennessee's new coach has made all the difference. What's his name? But this is a proud program coming out of a decade long slide to irreverence. Between the two of them, Butch and Derek just about killed that program. Geoff did not need any help.
Butch actually had a couple of good seasons but he left a mess for Jeremy P. to clean up. Funny how these things snowball. Derek Dooly was an immediate disaster starting in 2010 and before you knew it a decade had come and gone before Coach Heupel (spelling?) arrived to right the ship. I hope that does not happen with Tech but we don't have Tennessee's money and commitment to football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Butch actually had a couple of good seasons but he left a mess for Jeremy P. to clean up. Funny how these things snowball. Derek Dooly was an immediate disaster starting in 2010 and before you knew it a decade had come and gone before Coach Heupel (spelling?) arrived to right the ship. I hope that does not happen with Tech but we don't have Tennessee's money and commitment to football.
Kiffin had a short stint there too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Lex,
Great to have you and appreciate your thoughts. btw- a daughter and a grandson went to UNA and lovrd it..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My GT game gear is on every game day win or lose.

We are going through a really bad time now - worse than the BL era has that really only bottomed out for one year - this has been consistently bad for over 3 years.
But it will come to an end, likely after the UGA game, and we can look forward to rebuilding into something more positive.

It may be just me but as i've gotten older sports in general don't mean as much in my life. In my 20's and 30's I would live and die by my team. I'm now at a point where if they win, great, if they lose i'm upset for 15 min and then I get on with my life to more important things.

I'll be honest, other than the Clemson game to open this season, i've just been completely emotionally detached from the FB team for the last 1/2 year. I wasn't even upset we lost to ND, UGA, Ole Miss by the margins we did, just sort of numb to it. I'll still cheer hard for the team, but I don't have any big expectations right now.
Red,
Yep--I don't bother to go to games (am 4 hrs away) OR watch on TV.My gut just can't take it.Tech has always represented close to excellence in most everything.This program does not even approach fair.

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
I took this picture at the Varsity 40 minutes before kick-off......A barometer of fan enthusiasm? View attachment 13104
I was thinking the same thing. I went to Rocky Mountain Pizza for the Clemson game (I couldn't bring myself to go to MBD) and it was a complete ghost town in there. Man when I was in school that place would be packed out 3-feep an hour before kickoff. But I guess I can't really blame the kids...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It’s been a rough road, but we have been here before. Sunday morning I got up and went for a walk in my GT gear and stopped at the driveway to straighten the GT flag. My almost 4yr old daughter asked why I’d keep it flying right now since “we didn’t win” and I told her this is the time it counts.

It’s easy to be a fan when things are rolling but to find an appreciation for something based off the macro view allows you to grit up and push when the micro view is a low point.

I’m not shading anyone nor am I demanding people follow the team and show support in the way I do. What I am trying to do though is remind us all that fandom is about the highs and lows, that the kids are out there doing what they can and that the staff (love ‘‘em or hate ‘em) are our staff till they’re not. I upped my annual donation this year after the loss Saturday night because it’s a ride or die relationship for me.

If I want GT to get back to the top of the mountain you better believe I’m going to stare down the chasm of despair and grind till the wheels fall off or we get back to where we belong.

Shocked Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wore GT Buzz on polo shirt at church Sunday. Wore GT shirt at work and during TEAM / WevEx meetings on Monday. Yes, I too got some looks and some questions. But, have to rep and still be proud, even after getting beat down.

I have worn GT something almost everyday if leaving the house even if it's only a ball cap.
Coats, jackets, polo shirts, shorts, and of course Tshirts or combination are all in the mix.
Next week I will be recognized as the "Georgia Tech guy" ... again... when at a horse show in Guthrie, OK all week. On Saturday, 10/1, they'll make it a point to find the GT game so that I can watch the game against Pitt. The folks at the Lazy E have been nice enough to do so each year we get to go.