The Texas Job

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Richt is a Miami guy, not an FSU guy. But, that said, maybe he knows too much about Miami to go there.
Yes, Richt played at Miami serving as Jim Kelly's backup.

But Richt is most definitely an FSU guy. He started his coaching career at FSU as a volunteer QB coach in 1984, left in 1989 to become East Carolina's OC, returned to FSU a year later as the QB coach again. He was promoted to FSU's OC in 1994 and served in that role for 7 years before being hired as UGA's HC. During his 7 years as OC, FSU was in the top 5 scoring offenses 5 times. He coached two Heisman winners (Ward & Weinke) and was part of two national championships (93 & 99).

Richt has more roots with FSU at this point than Miami. However, I think he is well entrenched at UGA and isn't going anywhere.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sports Illustrated readers have decided... Art Briles won the 32-coach bracket of candidates linked to the Texas job.
http://college-football.si.com/2013/12/27/texas-longhorns-coaching-bracket-final-results/?eref=sihp

texas-bracket-final-full.jpg

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
The average UT fan's opinion of where they fall in the college football food chain is comical. You'd think they were perennial Top 10 listening to them.

Foggy would tell me the same thing when he live there. They could lose 3 to 4 game's, and still think they should be playing for a NC.

Everything is bigger in Texas, including dreams!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Richt is a Miami guy, not an FSU guy. But, that said, maybe he knows too much about Miami to go there.
From his Wikipedia page (take it for what it's worth)

[Removed by poster because he didn't read all the comments after his before posting and neglected to see that someone else already said the same thing]

Still, I don't think anyone that could pry him from UGA would be interested in doing so.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I had another thought about the Texas job. Even if they already know the selected one, and it is not coming from the NC game, they might not want to acknowledge the replacement until after UT's bowl game to honor Mack Brown as the focus of his last game. However, if the announcement is not forthcoming after his bowl game, then it will probably not come until after the NC game.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am throwing out a new list of candidates for the Texas job.

Art Briles - Baylor, David Shaw - Stanford, Charlie Strong - Louisville, Mark Helfrich - Oregon, Gus Malzahn - Auburn, Mark Dantonio - Michigan State, Gary Pinkel - Missouri

Most qualified and favorite of the ESPN analyst: Charlie Strong. His team has been strong on defense and offense. Of course, he has one of the best quarterbacks in the nation, but still he evidently has some thoughts on offense. Possibly, because he is a strong (no pun intended) defensive coach, he understands the offensive strategy. He is the best fit for a new coach hire, but if things do not go smoothly at Texas, the fans would be quick to get down on him in that State. Best choice in my opinion, but maybe not at Texas.

The next best candidate appears to be Mark Dantonio of Michigan State. You win championships with defense, and his team is one of the best defensive teams in the nation. He also has a pretty good offense. He is probably the next best choice, but his team is not through with the bowl games.

Art Briles of Baylor has a high octane offensive mind and system which makes him valuable, but his defensive team was questionable with a weak schedule. However, Baylor plays the teams in that area, and he would have an advantage in recruiting Texas. Briles is a good candidate for a sleeper.

David Shaw of Stanford runs an offensive system which relies on the run and the pass mixed pretty equally which is a good thing if you can recruit the great players. Texas has a huge base of recruits from which to choose, but his defense is only soso. A possible candidate, but his qualifications may be iffy, because he already has a strong recruiting base in California and around the nation. A candidate, but maybe some questions to be answered.

Mark Helfrich of Oregon would also be a candidate if you wanted to outscore your opponents, but his defensive teams are not the best. His teams are high powered, but he had several outstanding quarterbacks in his tenure at Oregon. How will he do if he does not get a superb quarterback to run the show if his defense is not up to par. A candidate, but defense and questionable results without a great quarterback leaves a few questions.

The last one is Gus malzahn. His team is also up-tempo, and he is known as an offensive genius, but his defense was not very good this past year. He won two games on miracles, and he was close on some of the other games. Of course, the glitter of the wins and his appearing in the championship game probably makes him a candidate. However, at closer research into this years team and its near misses, it could leave some doubt of his validity as the front runner. Actually, I have him as the last choice, so I will probably be wrong and Texas will choose him. He supposedly has a contract extension with Auburn, but there is some questions as to the validity of his signature on the contract.

It appears Jimbo Fisher is now out of the picture.

Texas may be waiting until the bowl games are over, especially if some of these coaches have yet to play their bowl games.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, it is looking more and more to me that Charlie Strong may end up at Texas. The other coaches in my article regarding the candidates appear to be falling by the wayside. Malzahn, may still be a candidate, but he appears to lack the defensive proweress, and championships are won with defense.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, it is looking more and more to me that Charlie Strong may end up at Texas. The other coaches in my article regarding the candidates appear to be falling by the wayside. Malzahn, may still be a candidate, but he appears to lack the defensive proweress, and championships are won with defense.

So they will take Charlie Strong because of his defensive prowess because defense wins championships. But they are likely done with Malzahn because he doesn't have the defensive acumen. Has anyone recommended they they take a look at the remaining bowl schedule before making this determination? Isn't one of these coaches about to play for his first BCS championship in his first year as a BCS level HC while the other is already done with his season after being a dark-horse candidate based on their easy schedule?

Logic fail. Not that Strong wouldn't be a good candidate, but that makes no sense based on actual events.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
An outside of the box hire for Texas: George O'Leary.

The guy is 67, so you may have 4-6 years left, but O'Leary won't be walking into a 10-year project like UCF. UT has talent, GOBS of talent. GOL will probably win 9+ games the first year while implementing his systems and putting his coaches in place. He doesn't really need to worry about recruiting and selling UT, because UT sells itself more than any school in college football. He'll win 11+ games and challenge for BCS titles every year after because the Big 12 is pretty weak.

Just look what GOL did with a bunch of 2 stars against the "hot" name (Art Briles) and offense in college football today. Art Briles is also one of the favorites for the UT job.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
If I were Texas I would make Mark Dantonio my top pick. He built the program at michigan state into a solid fundamentally sound team with a killer defense, which is exactly what Texas needs

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Texas would even consider O'Leary. Charlie Strong's team was as strong on offense, and maybe, even better than Auburn's, plus his team is also very strong on defense. His team has pretty much ruled the roost in the last two years. At this particular time, he appears to have no weaknesses in his approach to coaching. Malzahn's team was weak on defense, he has not been a head coach very long, and he was within a whisker of losing two additional games this year. He also, had trouble beating some of the other opponents. If I were looking at the two, I would go ahead and choose Charlie Strong and get the recruiting started with a new coach. However, I can be wrong, I was almost wrong when I said Duke had little or no chance of beating Texas A&M.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
....I would go ahead and choose Charlie Strong and get the recruiting started with a new coach.....

Not commenting for or against Charlie Strong, but aren't we in a recruiting dead period now, and for the next week and a half? A hire now could get publicity, but the coach couldn't start contacting recruits. And other programs couldn't try to steal recruits while Texas doesn't have a HC. If I'm right about being in a dead period, Texas has time for candidate searches and interviews -- even after the NC game.

BTW, it has been reported that the Texas AD has interviewed Charlie Strong and James Franklin. He's also wanting to talk with Art Briles now that the Fiesta Bowl is behind us.

I am impressed with his coaching, but I have wondered if Charlie Strong's personality is too quiet for such a highly visible position. Just thinking out loud.....