Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 16 "The Pitch"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is the kind of play where Robbie Godhigh shined. I can easily see him taking the pitch, beating the OLB with speed, then cutting back to the middle of the field behind both safeties.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The problem here is we allowed the unblocked DE to cover both the QB and the dive. That can't be right.

Should this be a give to the Bback?

/
Sometimes the defense can dupe you - they can just guess right. The problem is that they can also dupe themselves, such as in this case. The OLB didn't know that the DE was going to guess right and dupe the QB, so he still thinks he has to be on his QB responsibility which is why he's not quite able to get the pitch man.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes the defense can dupe you - they can just guess right. The problem is that they can also dupe themselves, such as in this case. The OLB didn't know that the DE was going to guess right and dupe the QB, so he still thinks he has to be on his QB responsibility which is why he's not quite able to get the pitch man.
I agree, but something else happens here. Quay, on his way to the MLB, gets right in the way of the OLB's path to the pitch back. So even if he had wanted to cover Ike, he'd have had to wait for Quay to clear or he would have run right into him.

Edit: after another couple looks, I think that OLB was heading for Ike the whole time and Quay made him hesitate. In essence, Quay blocked two guys on display.

Last edited:

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it is just the viewing angle, but to me it looks like the DE was in a position to play both the BB and the QB, so I would have to grade the play as an F. If the DE could have only played the QB, then the play as it ran might be correct. The OLB #49 looks initially looks like he was guarding the dive or QB keep before advancing to the LOS and that may be why he wasn't isn't in a position to tackle the AB for a loss, which is what usually seems to happen when the DE can play both the BB and the QB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is the kind of play where Robbie Godhigh shined. I can easily see him taking the pitch, beating the OLB with speed, then cutting back to the middle of the field behind both safeties.
RG had gift of great vision and could cut right behind the blocker.

In this case the RT blocked his guy to the right. #3 kept feathering towards sideline and right into where the tackler was pushed. In addition 49 was able to chase him down.

With all this nit picking we still had a great result!!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Maybe it is just the viewing angle, but to me it looks like the DE was in a position to play both the BB and the QB, so I would have to grade the play as an F. If the DE could have only played the QB, then the play as it ran might be correct. The OLB #49 looks initially looks like he was guarding the dive or QB keep before advancing to the LOS and that may be why he wasn't isn't in a position to tackle the AB for a loss, which is what usually seems to happen when the DE can play both the BB and the QB.
If the defense plans this in concert, then it can really screw up the offense. ie if the entire defense is coached so that if they get a particular defensive call then the DE is going to feign taking the BB but bypass to the QB and the OLB then goes to the pitch, then the QB and offense can be in a bad spot. How does an offense combat that? Change blocking scheme so that the DE is blocked or leave the DE unblocked make it a called give read. If the DE doesn't fully commit to taking the BB, a good BB is going to run through his half-hearted effort at worst or run by him untouched at best, and it may be the quickest way to the endzone (a straight line). With a strong inside game, the defense is choosing death by sledge-hammer if they don't commit to stopping the dive. When the defense might be successful employing this is calling it at an opportune/surprising time, and only then.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Jordan is also doing well to quick-pitch here, and it's probably what he's been coached. He has no chance because of the DE, but it's not a bad assumption to think that the OLB is probably also taking QB responsibility so the pitch has a chance to succeed. The other thing you might see a QB do here is to follow right behind the BB and get what he can.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A few more observations:
- Jeune does a nice job taking out his corner
- Cooper does a nice job sealing off the backside OLB
- Lee does a nice job slowing down two DL's on the backside
- Not sure what Parker's assignment is, he kinda pushes on the same guy Cooper takes down

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
MJ played well in the last quarter of UNCheat game. Dropped a snap on one play and recovered. May have caused mesh exchange for a lost fumble when marching for a TD. Our O was good enough to win that game. But as they say championships are won with D. I think it is more championships are NOT won without a D.