Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 16 "The Pitch"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A OT against a Safety in open field without a back directly behind him... He did a great job.
Timing of block for rt is early relative to ab heading up field. Maybe he should have waited a second before starting block. IMO The ab needs to going faster as he gets pitch to be closer to blocker. Good block
Ol is doing great in this game
!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Timing of block for rt is early relative to ab heading up field. Maybe he should have waited a second before starting block. IMO The ab needs to going faster as he gets pitch to be closer to blocker. Good block
Ol is doing great in this game
!
Its basically like trying to catch a "greased pig". Its a huge disadvantage.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Give VPISU defenders credit for hustle and pursuit.

Timing of the pitch was late -- the aback had to wait on the pitch.

But still a pitch + a first down!

/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Give VPISU defenders credit for hustle and pursuit.

Timing of the pitch was late -- the aback had to wait on the pitch.

But still a pitch + a first down!

/
Agree, a quick pitch right after the pull gets the ball in Ike's hands while he has a chance to beat everyone to the edge and play off the OT block easier.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I beg to differ. I think the pitch was at exactly the right time. Matthew had to wait for the pitch read to commit to make the pitch. If he did it right after the mesh, there would have been two defenders in perfect position to cut the play off. If JT had been running the play he would have tried for the edge - he was easy fast enough - then made the pitch, if he had to. This is yet another Will Worth read. He made great hay last year by pitching at the exact moment that the pitch key committed.

Now, one other thing: notice how fewer defenders got sucked in to trying to catch Matthew. That's the main reason why Ike couldn't go another 5 -10 yards (well, that and the missed block by the OT). We'll just have to get used to that. Opponents aren't going to give Matthew as much respect as they did JT. With him, one false move could lead to Big Trouble in Little China. Instead, I think we'll see more plays in the 8 - 15 yard variety since the D won't be as cautious. But we'll see soon enough.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that Mathew pitched at the right time. Keep in mind this is slow motion.

I think the pitch read was sucked into stopping MJs power run and is the reason why the LB was not outside on the the AB. MJ has not been pitching but has been power running up until this point. The next play will show this very well.

I think 79, the OT, did fairly well. The safety was very athletic as he lost his feet twice in avoiding the block and still got up and in on the tackle.

This blocking scheme is different than normal for an option play. The AB normally goes for the safety and the OT goes for the MLB. This play reversed the roles. All the pinching has made MLB blocks difficult with the OT. This scheme avoids the pinch. I am not sure why we don't run this more... other than pitting a 180 LBS ABack against a 220 LB and a 290 OT against a 200 LB safety.

One other seldom used blocking scheme is to trade blocks with the ABack and WR.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Mathew pitched at the right time. Keep in mind this is slow motion.

I think the pitch read was sucked into stopping MJs power run and is the reason why the LB was not outside on the the AB. MJ has not been pitching but has been power running up until this point. The next play will show this very well.

I think 79, the OT, did fairly well. The safety was very athletic as he lost his feet twice in avoiding the block and still got up and in on the tackle.

This blocking scheme is different than normal for an option play. The AB normally goes for the safety and the OT goes for the MLB. This play reversed the roles. All the pinching has made MLB blocks difficult with the OT. This scheme avoids the pinch. I am not sure why we don't run this more... other than pitting a 180 LBS ABack against a 220 LB and a 290 OT against a 200 LB safety.

One other seldom used blocking scheme is to trade blocks with the ABack and WR.
Normally, I like a late pitch by the qb, it forces the pitch key (OLB in this case) to commit and prevents him from making the play on the Aback after the pitch. But that's only if the pitch key is in proper position. Freeze the video at the moment Matthew pulls from the mesh and look at the spacing of the players. The pitch key is a good 2.5 yards away from the LOS and a good 8 yards away from Ike. Both players are at or about the right hash, so they have the same distance to run to sideline. Furthermore, Ike is already heading toward the sideline while that OLB (pitch key) is perpendicular to it. If Ike gets the pitch at this point, it's a footrace to the edge. With the spacing and body position I just mentioned, there's no way in hell that guy beats Ike to the sideline.

In addition, because of the timing and spacing of the pitch relationship, Ike is not at full speed until after he receives the pitch. A sooner pitch allows him to accelerate to full speed sooner which prevents pursuit from catching up to the play.

Another advantage of an earlier pitch is it gives Ike time to read the block by his OT on the safety. He can see that the safety has contained the edge and that he has to cut inside that block.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I also think MJ will draw just as much attention from backside defenders as JT, maybe more. Why? The power running game and the return of the fabled Death March. Hesitation, false steps and no more head starts to the edge will mean a more lethal edge game and create more space for our pass catchers.