Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 14

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, so a couple things:
This is a Veer, and not a called dive. DE and OLB are not blocked, and Jordan appears to be making a read. Also, that brings me to my next point:
What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the fact that on a Veer, the OL does not know what reads are being made. Longestday is correct, OC and OT have the responsibility to seal off the MLB from the outside first and foremost. If the MLB gets outside of the OC on the play side, it becomes the playside OT's responsibility to make that block. At that point, the OC's directive is to seal off any pursuers possible. He wasn't getting the safety, so he went for the OLB. He was hesitant, but what he did wasn't wrong. He wasn't gonna seal off the MLB or Safety, both of whom were scraping hard outside despite the give read.
This was not an explosive play mostly due to #60 defeating the back side scoop. Players like him give us fits because they do this well.
As for Lee, he could have gotten there sooner, but with #54 turning back inside after over-pursuing to the outside, that's a difficult block to make legally. Then again, a chip may have been all Marshall had needed if #60 wasn't on him. Too many variables. We'll never know.
The interesting part here is that the MLB's over-pursuit actually kinda helped him stop this play. It certainly didn't later when he bit on a counter trap and watched Marshall speed by him for a TD.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so a couple things:
This is a Veer, and not a called dive. DE and OLB are not blocked, and Jordan appears to be making a read. Also, that brings me to my next point:
What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the fact that on a Veer, the OL does not know what reads are being made. Longestday is correct, OC and OT have the responsibility to seal off the MLB from the outside first and foremost. If the MLB gets outside of the OC on the play side, it becomes the playside OT's responsibility to make that block. At that point, the OC's directive is to seal off any pursuers possible. He wasn't getting the safety, so he went for the OLB. He was hesitant, but what he did wasn't wrong. He wasn't gonna seal off the MLB or Safety, both of whom were scraping hard outside despite the give read.
This was not an explosive play mostly due to #60 defeating the back side scoop. Players like him give us fits because they do this well.
As for Lee, he could have gotten there sooner, but with #54 turning back inside after over-pursuing to the outside, that's a difficult block to make legally. Then again, a chip may have been all Marshall had needed if #60 wasn't on him. Too many variables. We'll never know.
The interesting part here is that the MLB's over-pursuit actually kinda helped him stop this play. It certainly didn't later when he bit on a counter trap and watched Marshall speed by him for a TD.
If not for #60, MM could have cut hard right once past the LOS and gone behind the MLB who was scraping left. Kinda like Dwyer did on that mutt who fell on his arse in '08.