Film Room The Summer Push VT Play 14

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I think it's important to remember we're looking at slo mo. Our center charges 5 yds down field without encountering a defender. Our Bback follows for five yds for a first down. Somehow, vpi not having a defender in place is warrant for attacking one of our players. Smdh.

It would've been great if C's head hax swivelled left in real time, but we got the job done.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
VT slanted like crazy. I wish the games were filmed from the back so we could see the gaps. It looks totally different. VT ran themselves out of position a lot last year. Hopefully they do the same thing again this year.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No attack, just commenting on the play.

I believe the center and the OT have MLB responsibility. The center has MLB to keep the MLB off the give/dive and the OT has him to keep the MLB off the keep or pitch.

Cooper was going for the MLB and turns from him due to the MLB persuit outside. The MLB turns back inside to assist on the tackle.

Lee does a good job defeating the pinch from the DE and getting to the MLB. There is a large lesson. If the MLB is slowed by a big threat in the middle, the outside really opens up as the OT has a much better chance at blocking the MLB to seal the outside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our center charges 5 yds down field without encountering a defender.
Not so, the MLB was right smack in front of him.
Our Bback follows for five yds for a first down.
true
Somehow, vpi not having a defender in place is warrant for attacking one of our players. Smdh.
Lol. Nobody attacked anybody.
It would've been great if C's head hax swivelled left in real time, but we got the job done.
He didn't need to swivel a thing, the dude was right smack in front of him.

What is nice about these single plays in slo-mo loop, is that you can dissect them with a fine tooth comb just like the coaches and players do in film review. You can see what is possible if all blocks and reads are made to perfection. Of course it is unrealistic to expect perfection. It is also cool to see how we don't need perfection to be successful.

If Will gets just a little more of #60 and if Coop hits the MLB that play goes much farther, maybe scores.

Also, there's nothing wrong with giving the opposition some props. #60 does one helluva job getting off Will's block and making the tackle. #4 does a nice job of impeding Lee on his way to the second level. (Although it is bad luck that the DT slants/gets pushed by Parker right into the gap Lee is aiming for.) Those are two good plays by the D that affect the outcome of the play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If 60 had not slanted Will would have gotten more of a body on him. Then bb would have had room in hole to sprint past line of scrimmage. That play their slant was lucky. Will still made a good block - bb hit 60 and made 4 yac.

I think it is amazing that ol did very well using Lee, parker, Cooper -true freshmen ; Will -soph; and only Rt - upper class man.

I think Morgan, Morgan, Marshall, and Devine will step up to join these guys and it will be a fun season. This is going to be the most athletic ol with size in the johnson era.
As Jerry says Go Jackets.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
i don't think the mlb was #55's man. #53 had mlb but couldn't get there.
Agree this was a called dive to bb up u the middle. On this play m center who has head up and is the first one off line, should get who ever flashes in the hole. If 53 gets there as well it should be a road grader on mlb.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I believe the center and the OT have MLB responsibility. The center has MLB to keep the MLB off the give/dive and the OT has him to keep the MLB off the keep or pitch.

Cooper was going for the MLB and turns from him due to the MLB persuit outside. The MLB turns back inside to assist on the tackle.

Lee does a good job defeating the pinch from the DE and getting to the MLB. There is a large lesson. If the MLB is slowed by a big threat in the middle, the outside really opens up as the OT has a much better chance at blocking the MLB to seal the outside.
I believe this is exactly right, and well explained.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
VT slanted like crazy. I wish the games were filmed from the back so we could see the gaps. It looks totally different. VT ran themselves out of position a lot last year. Hopefully they do the same thing again this year.
Yes, you could see several teams sell out to get outside on us last year. I think early on this year the book will be crash the A gaps.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes, you could see several teams sell out to get outside on us last year. I think early on this year the book will be crash the A gaps.

Yea, Mills will not give them any choice. And if our new QBs learn to read and pitch our outside game will flourish. All our ABs can make the big play and even our two slowest QBs have proved that in a game situation. I expect big things from our run game if our OL stays healthy.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yea, Mills will not give them any choice. And if our new QBs learn to read and pitch our outside game will flourish. All our ABs can make the big play and even our two slowest QBs have proved that in a game situation. I expect big things from our run game if our OL stays healthy.
Who are our two slowest QB's?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like this high MLB look opens the inside zone and trap/belly series. I like the odds with Mills at 2.5 yards one-on-one against a MLB at 7.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It looks like RG made the very difficult reach- block to allow for the gain.With the MLB well off the LOS no one else on DEf should have made the play as the rDT went toward playaction side to help inself out of play.Our guys mostly cut off the pursuit and the "bull" did the rest for 5 yds.If 55 had hit the MLB maybe get 7-8. Of course ,we know VT is not chopped-liver on DEF.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Excellence in executing the midline option will be yuge (sic) this year.