Film Room The Summer Push: Spring Game Play 2

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought the O had a good spring game, much better than last year. I understand the points are not the highlight. After the first 8 plays... I am open to other summer watching options (see what I did there).

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was this play's problem that Qb was not flat on roll out (too deep) and or is he slow?

93 was quick enough to be able to go inside around Will's block and be in on tackle.

We have we been spoiled by JT or 93 is very fast.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Dedrick blocked Vic that could've been a huge play

It does suggest the way he stopped and turned to get him that it was his assignment. Clearly he initially was running to the S level to get a S. But that is typically WR or Ab assignment. Although there may be plays when he does have to get the S. Yeah this ones on mills

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Still got 3.5 yards before getting touched and another 2 yards before going down. Its not always perfect but Ill take those yards..
Yes. Even with the missed block and a deep rollout, 4-5 yards. Take it all day. I don't think the def should have played the pitch that way though. Look for other teams to attack.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like this play was a Belly Option.

Marshall did a great job getting a 2fer in downblocking both mitchell and branch.

Vic and Amp did well avoiding cut blocks from Cooper and Will. They both ended up more shallow than Mills apparently expected.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  • Marshall does an excellent job picking up the blitz
  • Will does a great job on Amp. Amp looks like he defeated Wills block, but the DE is slowed and is forced into a bad angle or risk being taken to the ground. Amp did a great job of not being taken to the ground but Will forces him inside behind the QBs direction.
  • Copper chips the DT and slows him down. He cannot get to the back side LB (Vic), but Copper does force Vic to run parallel to the LOS (not down hill)
  • Parker cuts off the backside very well
  • Mills was suppose to take Mitchel (the LB), but he blitzed. Mills and Vic may have hit head on if Cooper did not slow Vic down.
  • If Marshall did not blitz, Mills hitting Marshal may have blocked the angle Vic was taking
  • The outside LB did a good job taking out the pitch and squeezing the QB inside. The QB should not pitch as the LB shoulders never turn towards the QB
  • The QB could have attacked the LB to help force the pitch (which would have gone for more yards)
  • Forcing the pitch is a needed skill that I hope all the QBs gain.
6 yards is good run.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wondering about what Lee was doing?
Is he ever supposed to double back and cut off pursuit. He's way down field

Loved how guys were up and blocking down field

Deleted member 2897

77 completely whiffed on his block on the edge. Kenny Cooper missed his block at the next level against Vic. In fairness to both, neither was a blown assignment, they knew what to do. 77 was just bad execution. Cooper's missed block was more of a function of Vic outrunning him to the spot and evading the block (although I supposed you could say Cooper took a bad angle). So really neither guy was Mills' to block, I think he was expecting to have to take on a corner or safety, and by the time he realized Vic was running free he was passed him and couldn't get back to block him. The other linemen downfield like Lee are how this play turns into a touchdown. If 77 and Cooper (or Mills) hit those blocks, the run is likely way down the field 20 yards. These extra linemen can then cause enough interference to prevent any remaining guys coming back across to help to have trouble stopping the play too.

When reviewing tape, I'm sure they'll point out to Mills that you have a main assignment, but you have to be aware of what else is going on too. Its these little things that turn 5 yard plays into 50 yard plays. Like someone pointed out above, regardless of the other missed blocks, had Mills picked up Vic even just to provide some interference, this could have been a long play.

This one play is a perfect illustration into the differences between a well humming machine and an okay one.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
77 completely whiffed on his block on the edge. Kenny Cooper missed his block at the next level against Vic. In fairness to both, neither was a blown assignment, they knew what to do. 77 was just bad execution. Cooper's missed block was more of a function of Vic outrunning him to the spot and evading the block (although I supposed you could say Cooper took a bad angle). So really neither guy was Mills' to block, I think he was expecting to have to take on a corner or safety, and by the time he realized Vic was running free he was passed him and couldn't get back to block him. The other linemen downfield like Lee are how this play turns into a touchdown. If 77 and Cooper (or Mills) hit those blocks, the run is likely way down the field 20 yards. These extra linemen can then cause enough interference to prevent any remaining guys coming back across to help to have trouble stopping the play too.

When reviewing tape, I'm sure they'll point out to Mills that you have a main assignment, but you have to be aware of what else is going on too. Its these little things that turn 5 yard plays into 50 yard plays. Like someone pointed out above, regardless of the other missed blocks, had Mills picked up Vic even just to provide some interference, this could have been a long play.

This one play is a perfect illustration into the differences between a well humming machine and an okay one.

I assume you mean #70, not #77. See above for what folks think about the "whiff."

Would be informative to know what the rules are for Dedrick and Jazz in these situations. Their eyes are downfield -- not curling back.

Deleted member 2897

I assume you mean #70, not #77. See above for what folks think about the "whiff."

Would be informative to know what the rules are for Dedrick and Jazz in these situations. Their eyes are downfield -- not curling back.

Yes, you are correct. It looked like a 77. I just watched it again and I see as he gets back up it was #70, not #77.