Film Room The Summer Push Play 3

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We sure seem to be using and at least partially executing complex ol blocking early in the season. The starters look so athletic we may start fast this season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We sure seem to be using and at least partially executing complex ol blocking early in the season. The starters look so athletic we may start fast this season.
This does not look anything like the first couple of spring games in Coach Johnson's tenure. The line blocking is much more complex to this untrained eye.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Only need to make 2 or 3 blocks for this play to work. We literally don't block the majority of the defense and this was a TD with better pitch timing.

/

Deleted member 2897

If you watch game tape against Clemson, you'll see these types of plays get blown up all the time. But it starts out looking exactly the same as here. The difference in many of the replays I've watched is their ability to defeat blocks. Or our inability to make the blocks, depending on how you look at it. The full answer is probably a little bit of both.

If we block like this, we're going to win a lot of games this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you watch game tape against Clemson, you'll see these types of plays get blown up all the time. But it starts out looking exactly the same as here. The difference in many of the replays I've watched is their ability to defeat blocks. Or our inability to make the blocks, depending on how you look at it. The full answer is probably a little bit of both.

If we block like this, we're going to win a lot of games this year.
Big if... we weren't blocking Clemson in the Spring game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The crazy thing about this is how Cottrell almost regains his balance after being tripped. One more step without being caught and he'd have been gone. I'm really looking forward to him seeing the field this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that's so evident is how fast Parker is for an OL. Waaaaaay faster than Sham. Sham will be needed for all the inside running if Matthew wins the spot. He's great at that. It will be interesting to see how CPJ juggles the lineup. I'd like to have Sham, Parker and Will on the field at the same time and see what happens.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that's so evident is how fast Parker is for an OL. Waaaaaay faster than Sham. Sham will be needed for all the inside running if Matthew wins the spot. He's great at that. It will be interesting to see how CPJ juggles the lineup. I'd like to have Sham, Parker and Will on the field at the same time and see what happens.
We'll have to see, but, yes, it will. If Jordan wins the spot—a lock if he is healthy—then I think we'll see Shamire a lot down by the goal and on 3rd and 5 or worse. The other thing = if either Will or Parker get hurt (but Heaven forfend) then we know we have a 3rd guard who'll do as good a job.

Oth, glad Coach is paid the big bucks to figure this kind of thing out. I'd have a hard time doing it.