Film Room The Summer Push Play 3

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And the pitch was late, yet he did great! Brad, Parker and Qua had some great blocking! Number 17, Lance, had a great recovery to make the stop... almost matrix in his twist and change of direction!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Parker verses Mitchell in open field-WOW for parker. Mitchell slow to break on ball but that will keep getting better. Damn this offense is hard to defeat.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lb are too close to the LOS. This makes the attack angles bend slow and easier to block.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we're supposed to leave the safety unblocked on this play. Who's assignment is it? Parker takes out the MLB, but the MLB was not gonna make the tackle anyway, he was to far behind the point of attack. I wonder if it would be better to have Parker take the safety instead?

I have no idea what Lee (LT) is doing or trying to do on this play. He dives inside and whiffs on on a guy who has no chance to make a play on the ball. Maybe he's supposed to take the safety and got his assignment wrong? I dunno. Maybe his job is to keep the DT off the qb long enough to make the pitch. The DT takes the Bback, however, and maybe that's why he's not in the right place to be hit by Lee?

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It does look like Lee may have missed his assignment (but it could be a wrinkle if def is reading the tackle for some reason)

It also looks like beating the FS is on the runner.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It does look like Lee may have missed his assignment (but it could be a wrinkle if def is reading the tackle for some reason)

It also looks like beating the FS is on the runner.

Thanks for posting that. To me, it looks like Lee is supposed to take the playside MLB that Parker took and Parker is supposed to take the safety. The first vid you posted says the playside tackle is supposed to stay wide of the DE. Since the DE dives inside, Lee had an unimpeded route to the MLB.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@dressedcheeseside if I remember correctly,
Parker should pick up 1st threat inside. Lee did his job imo.

Brant took some false steps. 3 steps up then came to the ball. Should be coming down At 45 degree speed immediately.

CB needs to stay outside. I would like him be more physical with that blocker

Great save Corey

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside if I remember correctly,
Parker should pick up 1st threat inside. Lee did his job imo.

Brant took some false steps. 3 steps up then came to the ball. Should be coming down At 45 degree speed immediately.

CB needs to stay outside. I would like him be more physical with that blocker

Great save Corey
Still confused, what was Lee's assignment? Also, who's got the safety?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Since Parker pulled, Lee needs to replace him. He's out of the box so he's unaccounted for. I would assume this is just a case of need beat a man in the open field.
The coach in the first video posted by AE said by rule "don't block a 5 tech or any DL inside." If this the case, why does Lee have to replace Parker?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like BM's false step could have been him reading Braun/Lee since the pull/downblock suggests belly.

I guess Lee made a mistake, but could be part of a belly series designed to slow the playside 5 technique and LB?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Looks like BM's false step could have been him reading Braun/Lee since the pull/downblock suggests belly.

I guess Lee made a mistake, but could be part of a belly series designed to slow the playside 5 technique and LB?

Another possibility which I haven't checked is we may use this blocking for play action. Only the center here went to the next level.