Film Room The Summer Push Play 26

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When rushing a passer breaking down is not always the best option. How often do you see great pass rushers break down when they believe they have a clear shot at the qb? There are times you must break down and other times where for example you aren't seen and hope to get there before you are seen. When pass rushing you want to get there as quickly as possible to disrupt the pass..
On the blindside you never breakdown. When your rushing in the qb's field of vision, you should or your gonna lose your jock as in the example posted. If you're afraid of getting juked either way, you have to go full speed and guess which way the qb is gonna break like a goalie on a penalty kick.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Largely agree with what you said but rushing a qb is not identical to stopping an intended run. Even if you are in the qb's field of vision it isn't always the best choice to break down before you get to the qb since it gives them more time and typically your main concern is stopping/disrupting the pass, not a potential run. Certainly another factor important in this situation was the athletic ability of the quarterback. Few qbs would have escaped as he did and Mitchell took a risk that didn't work out. If you are as fearful of the qb tucking and running as you are to their passing then certainly want to exercise more caution. On the other hand if Peyton Manning had been the qb, giving him more passing time is what you don't want to happen.

My basic point is that what Mitchell did was not "really dumb" as was earlier stated but a split second decision where he took a calculated risk that didn't work out.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Largely agree with what you said but rushing a qb is not identical to stopping an intended run. Even if you are in the qb's field of vision it isn't always the best choice to break down before you get to the qb since it gives them more time and typically your main concern is stopping/disrupting the pass, not a potential run. Certainly another factor important in this situation was the athletic ability of the quarterback. Few qbs would have escaped as he did and Mitchell took a risk that didn't work out. If you are as fearful of the qb tucking and running as you are to their passing then certainly want to exercise more caution. On the other hand if Peyton Manning had been the qb, giving him more passing time is what you don't want to happen.

My basic point is that what Mitchell did was not "really dumb" as was earlier stated but a split second decision where he took a calculated risk that didn't work out.

I don't think it was really dumb. But, breaking down is an art form that if it's still being taught is not often exercised on the field. Everyone needs to adjust their risk calculators way back.

How often do we see defenders whiff on tackles that should have been a sure thing? And would have been a tackle for a big loss. The answer is every single game. Yeah, the big hit looks good on Sports Center but more often results in a whiff. When, if ever, has anyone seen a defender break down and then miss the tackle as a result? I guarantee you I can find at least 50 highlights of defenders missing for every 1 highlight of a ball carrier escaping due to the defender breaking down.

You guys are defending stuff that isn't a real problem. Yeah you want to break the pass up but look what happens when you don't break down . . . big run. If Mitchell decelerates and starts chopping his feet, Jones is going nowhere. If he gets a pass off while getting tackled, then great play, but at least Mitchell would have done his job and has to trust his secondary to make a play.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Upon further review...I acknowledge that I was purely focusing on Mitchell making a bee line up the middle and that for most of that sprinting towards the QB, he believed the QB wasn't looking his direction. But once the QB understand Mitchell was blitzing, Mitchell then had almost zero chance of tackling the QB.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Like most sports, football requires making split second decisions where a wrong choice can make a huge impact. Our hindsight allows us to criticize those decisions with almost absolute certainty although I think on plays like this one we shouldn't be so quick to judge without tall the facts. For example if the coaches were preaching "Just keep him in the pocket, don't force him out" then he may have been clearly wrong as would be my defense of his choice.

He was running full speed and was less than a second from impact and no doubt thought he could get there in time. He didn't. IMHO he shouldn't be criticized for having bad technique/poor fundamentals unless as I mentioned earlier he was coached to act contrary to what he did. Imagine if he broke down just short and a touchdown was thrown, wouldn't many of us complain that he "had the sack (or could have disrupted the throw) if he hadn't pulled up"?

On that particular play I believe Mitchell made what he thought was the best decision and I would also bet that he would have made the sack on 90% of the qb's he will face this year therefore I am defending his decision and not complaining about his lack of fundamentals etc. I totally understood his choice and don't want to disparage him even though it didn't work out. Now in 2012 when Orwin fielded the kickoff from Miami... :).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not critical of Mitchell hitting qb on blitz. That's something that's just tough to practice e against scout team. His roll seems to me to be the guy who gets partially blocked, but SINCE HE IS MAKING HIS WAY ACROSS THE BLOCKER TO HIT RUNNER "WITH SHOULDER == HE SHORTENS THE USC TO 2 YRS VERSES THE CURRENT 6+. Hope to hear Mitchell in on tackle for a gain of only three. He can do it if he can ready the blocking. While not flashy -vital.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The blame, if there is any, goes to the other 10 defenders who can't get off a freakin' block. Vic runs 40 yards across the field only to get blocked by a guy not even trying to block him.