Film Room The Summer Push Play 26

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
WB got blocked by Coop not Sham and nicely done!

Great play design. VT's LDE and LOLB got completely duped by counter motion. Their MLB, S and ROLB all took false steps to the right biting on Qua's initial motion. Parker's pull to the right almost got the MLB chasing another ghost. That guy made two corrections before making the tackle.

I wonder if it would've been better to have Parker lead Marcus up the gut and take out the MLB? Here's one more in a string of inside runs where we left the MLB unblocked. I wonder if his depth had something to do with that decision?
Right. It was Fullwood (I think) and Shamire destroyed him despite the stunt. Like I said before, this was a great game for him.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
yep, it will be VELLLY interesting to see what happens--the best maybe might be Lucas winning #2 spot behind Jordan and the other 2 go to Aback, then the Fr-Oliver be #3ght
My totally uninformed guess is that (barring continued injury MJ will be QB1 but) CPJ will want to try Jay to see if he can take over.

I assume that CPJ is willing to take calculated risks -- 4th down conversions, klock eligible, the Vad/tevin show, etc -- to find a big upside.

My other assumption is that Jay has more upside than Lucas or TQ -- he is a combination of their strengths -- and that you could learn a lot about how his tools translate to P5 quickly.

SlawDog

Banned
My totally uninformed guess is that (barring continued injury MJ will be QB1 but) CPJ will want to try Jay to see if he can take over.

I assume that CPJ is willing to take calculated risks -- 4th down conversions, klock eligible, the Vad/tevin show, etc -- to find a big upside.

My other assumption is that Jay has more upside than Lucas or TQ -- he is a combination of their strengths -- and that you could learn a lot about how his tools translate to P5 quickly.

You completely misunderstand the greatness of CPJ. He would never "want to try to Jay to see if he can take over". CPJ will put the players on the field they will help the team win games. He will allow them all to compete for their playing time without picking favorites.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You completely misunderstand the greatness of CPJ. He would never "want to try to Jay to see if he can take over". CPJ will put the players on the field they will help the team win games. He will allow them all to compete for their playing time without picking favorites.
Not sure I understand the point/distinction you're trying to make here. I don't see how "want to try Jay to see if he can take over" contradicts the rest of what you said. You say CPJ "will put the players on the field that will help the team win games" and "allow them all to compete for their playing time without picking favorites".
First, if CPJ thinks Jay will ultimately help the team win more games, but needs the chance to get in the fire and show this in a game before he can lead the team, then that harmonizes what you said with "try to see if Jay can take over".
Second, who has ever believed CPJ "picks favorites" arbitrarily. Of course CPJ picks favorites - they're called starters, and his "favorites" are whoever is the better player. So, of course he is allowing them to compete for playing time and whoever shows to be the best player wins the spot (or becomes his "favorite"). This seems like an exercise in the obvious, and still doesn't contradict the "try to see if Jay can take over" possibility. If Jay shows that he can be the best player, but still needs games to prove it (you have to see how a guy responds in a game, it isn't always the same as practice), then again it follows that he may "try to see if Jay can take over". This is very similar to what he did with Tevin and Vad, btw, so we've already seen this possibility manifest itself within the context of the "greatness of CPJ".

Disclaimer: I have no idea who's going to end up the best QB and the long-run starter. I like 'em all.

SlawDog

Banned
Not sure I understand the point/distinction you're trying to make here. I don't see how "want to try Jay to see if he can take over" contradicts the rest of what you said. You say CPJ "will put the players on the field that will help the team win games" and "allow them all to compete for their playing time without picking favorites".
First, if CPJ thinks Jay will ultimately help the team win more games, but needs the chance to get in the fire and show this in a game before he can lead the team, then that harmonizes what you said with "try to see if Jay can take over".
Second, who has ever believed CPJ "picks favorites" arbitrarily. Of course CPJ picks favorites - they're called starters, and his "favorites" are whoever is the better player. So, of course he is allowing them to compete for playing time and whoever shows to be the best player wins the spot (or becomes his "favorite"). This seems like an exercise in the obvious, and still doesn't contradict the "try to see if Jay can take over" possibility. If Jay shows that he can be the best player, but still needs games to prove it (you have to see how a guy responds in a game, it isn't always the same as practice), then again it follows that he may "try to see if Jay can take over". This is very similar to what he did with Tevin and Vad, btw, so we've already seen this possibility manifest itself within the context of the "greatness of CPJ".

Disclaimer: I have no idea who's going to end up the best QB and the long-run starter. I like 'em all.
Fair enough. He's going to see if every player on the practice field is going to take over not just Jay.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
nice run by Jay but it highlights our lack of speed and agility on def--51 missing badly, 2 DBs getting sealed, #9-Alexander didn't get to play
Mitchell just did something really dumb and that was going full speed at the QB instead of breaking down to make a TFL. That boneheadedness can be "untaught".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mitchell just did something really dumb and that was going full speed at the QB instead of breaking down to make a TFL. That boneheadedness can be "untaught".
Hope so.
He could be and we really need a stopper like NEALY.
Nealy was not flashy, but was on the RIGHT side of block to make a tackle.
This is Mitchell's year to show he can make plays. He could be a difference maker.

I wish we had a little more help on sideline for Roof. He calls defense and then visits w lb. We have added extra I'll coach and results are great. Ditto qb/bb coach with backups looking good to con.

Go Jackets

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
lol I'm just glad Mitchell didn't blitz himself directly into a blocker. That's what's our defenders usually like to do.

Yeah, Mitchell could have broken down to make the tackle better but that was also a super athletic play by Jones. He sure looks like JT 2.0 to me, I hope he gets to play a lot this year.

Just like he's done since he got here, CPJ will make the experienced guy the starter and may give reps here and there to the #2 guy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
lol I'm just glad Mitchell didn't blitz himself directly into a blocker. That's what's our defenders usually like to do.

Yeah, Mitchell could have broken down to make the tackle better but that was also a super athletic play by Jones. He sure looks like JT 2.0 to me, I hope he gets to play a lot this year.

Just like he's done since he got here, CPJ will make the experienced guy the starter and may give reps here and there to the #2 guy.
JT 2.0 as a ball carrier, yup, as a qb.... nope. At least not from what I saw in the spring game. There's a lot more to playing quarterback in our offense than running the football.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

yes, being more in control can be taught but the guys who have it "naturally" early in career are really useful
btw-Freeman did the same thing in the BC game last yr with a 250 lb QB ! and I believe he also over-ran the Ptt throwback to OT for TD--and still gets few sacks--let's hope as Sr it gets better

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
JT 2.0 as a ball carrier, yup, as a qb.... nope. At least not from what I saw in the spring game. There's a lot more to playing quarterback in our offense than running the football.

Ok, but JT in '16 didn't look like JT in '13. I doubt you're ever going to see the incoming new QB look as good as the 3 year starter.

I'm just saying that I think Jones has the physical tools. He's explosive and fast and has a good arm. If he was at Clemson they'd be talking about him as the second coming of Deshaun.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
yes, being more in control can be taught but the guys who have it "naturally" early in career are really useful
btw-Freeman did the same thing in the BC game last yr with a 250 lb QB ! and I believe he also over-ran the Ptt throwback to OT for TD--and still gets few sacks--let's hope as Sr it gets better
It's awful hard to maintain self control when you think you've got a clear shot at someone but I would hope that his position coach has shown him that film and that the "light came on" without his coach giving Mitchell a Gibbs-slap to the back of the head . :)

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Those critical of Mitchell on this play are a bit off base and not giving credit to just how dang elusive J is.
Exactly.
So, what happens if Mitchell does break down? Jay still outruns him (or most any other LB'er, including NFL'ers) laterally and escapes the pocket. Probably his best chance was to do what he did and sell out full-speed to try to get him when he was most vulnerable.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
When rushing a passer breaking down is not always the best option. How often do you see great pass rushers break down when they believe they have a clear shot at the qb? There are times you must break down and other times where for example you aren't seen and hope to get there before you are seen. When pass rushing you want to get there as quickly as possible to disrupt the pass..